2. ...
  3. 175
  4. 176
  5. 177
  6. 178
  7. 179
  8. ...
  9. 192
Kinda disappointed I waited a month for this issue..... Oh well.
I keep asking why bring in a new character, especially now. I like reading Tanaka's back story and how the certain Covenant factions were still causing massive destruction particularly in the outer colonies.....but why a new character?
Best working theory is that she'll be on Locke's team, along with Romeo and Buck. 343 certainly seems to be making an effort to add a roster of fleshed-out characters to the S-IV program.
feel they would of had a more fleshed out character had it been Macer, Lucy, Tom or the many other hundred characters we have come across over a decade of expanded media.

I'm to cynical for these comics and getting a little sick of the over saturation of new characters. I'm becoming desensitized to their presence to the point i have no interest in their overall role in the narrative...

single upgrade filler...oh..okay! Oh new character... I just cant wait for the mcfarlane toy! 😒
I keep asking why bring in a new character, especially now. I like reading Tanaka's back story and how the certain Covenant factions were still causing massive destruction particularly in the outer colonies.....but why a new character?
Best working theory is that she'll be on Locke's team, along with Romeo and Buck. 343 certainly seems to be making an effort to add a roster of fleshed-out characters to the S-IV program.
Definitely think this is the case. Tanaka's gotta be the pink visored Spartan from the H2A H5 cutscenes.

343i is doing a nice job with diversity in Halo 5 characters.

John - caucasian male
Fred - caucasian male
Linda - caucasian female
Kelly - caucasian female

Locke - African-American male
Buck - caucasian male
Romeo - African-American male
Tanaka - African-American female

Although I hope these groups don't come to blows or we're looking at a potential race war...

DISCLAIMER: I personally don't care about the race or sex of fictional characters in video games, but games like AC Unity and GTA V have been criticized for perpetuating the white male trope, so I do genuinely think it's good for Halo 5 to have a lot of strong, diverse characters.
It's pretty cool to see H2A era ODST armor and the Reach-era Army BDUs back. Some of my favorite designs right there.

Definitely think this is the case. Tanaka's gotta be the pink visored Spartan from the H2A H5 cutscenes.
Oh, so the pink visored Spartan has to be a girl now? This isn't Power Rangers! :P
Grizzlei wrote:

Oh, so the pink visored Spartan has to be a girl now? This isn't Power Rangers! :P
Ladies and gentlemen I present Agent Skar, with his elite, top-of-the-art armor designed for hunting down the greatest legend of history. His color of choice? Pink.

Yeah, its a girl.
The only characters that have come from the comics that I actually enjoy and would want to be in the games thus far is Spartan Ray and Sali' Nyon
I read this issue, one of my favourites so far. Tanaka is awesome, I bet she is with Romeo, Locke and Buck in Halo 5. Loved how human this issue felt, I loved seeing a not total military side of things, and the information about the glassings was fun.

BTW if the team composition for Halo 5 is Buck, Romeo, Tanaka and Locke I am guessing that Romeo has the Pink visor, that makes most sense to me.
Fun fact! Tanaka is the fourth most common surname in Japan (according to Wikipedia, lol)
Kig-Yar pirates are becoming a bit of a problem.
What could Jackals possibly want with antiquated earth moving machinery!? Probably what's in the mine, never mind.

A new series needs to be created and named Halo: Climax. These short storylines keep escalating but rarely finish.
What is the state of 'Gajat style mercenary factions?
Spirit of Fire crew?
That rogue flood spore?
Current location/objective of blue team?
Janis key!!?
^^to name a few, I'm sure if I re-read the whole series I would find many, many more.

Hopefully some of these plots tie in with one of the many novels this year or even Halo 5 itself. Hey, maybe this is just what comics do, I've never bought a comic before Escalation. Its been a wild ride.
Ezekie1 wrote:
Fun fact! Tanaka is the fourth most common surname in Japan (according to Wikipedia, lol)
What could Jackals possibly want with antiquated earth moving machinery!? Probably what's in the mine, never mind.

A new series needs to be created and named Halo: Climax. These short storylines keep escalating but rarely finish.
Spirit of Fire crew?
That rogue flood spore?
Janis key!!?
^^to name a few, I'm sure if I re-read the whole series I would find many, many more.

Hopefully some of these plots tie in with one of the many novels this year or even Halo 5 itself. Hey, maybe this is just what comics do, I've never bought a comic before Escalation. Its been a wild ride.
Because Halo is a multi-media franchise they can easily have one storyline start in a certain medium, say Halo 4 Spartan Ops in a video game, and continue it in another, say comics. Not many franchises can do this. Star Wars is one of the only other one I know. (The Walking Dead comic universe has the game and novels too, so they kinda can count haha.) That is why I love Halo.

But as to the unconcluded story arcs, I am sure Blue Team will show up again soon. Either in Halo 5 Guardians or something very soon after. (My money is on Halo 5 Guardians.) Then the Jannus Key stuff will be concluded in a story arc for Escalation starting in June. The Spirit of Fire will definitely be worked on more at some point, the mystery there is incredible! I love what 343i is doing with it so far. For Sangheili factions such as 'Gajat's, those will be all over the place. There are literally hundreds of Sangheili who claim to now be the rightful leaders, Jul and Thel among those, 'Gajat and Sali previously, and SO many more.

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully that helped at least a little. xD
I wonder if Tanaka is part, or even fully Japanese. Her father did look Asian, so I guess that makes a lot of sense! I had never thought of that haha. Nice catch!
Worse one yet. 343 really hitting up the diversity level yet it only with African Americans. Why can't we get some Mexican or Asian Spartans? Diversity is not diversity if there really is no deversity. Again were are the Mexican and Asain Spartans at?
Worse one yet. 343 really hitting up the diversity level yet it only with African Americans. Why can't we get some Mexican or Asian Spartans? Diversity is not diversity if there really is no deversity. Again were are the Mexican and Asain Spartans at?
I would presume Tanaka has African Asian descent, given her father and Japanese surname?
Boba772 wrote:
Ezekie1 wrote:

Spirit of Fire crew?
That rogue flood spore?
Janis key!!?

Because Halo is a multi-media franchise they can easily have one storyline start in a certain medium, say Halo 4 Spartan Ops in a video game, and continue it in another, say comics. Not many franchises can do this. Star Wars is one of the only other one I know. (The Walking Dead comic universe has the game and novels too, so they kinda can count haha.) That is why I love Halo.

But as to the unconcluded story arcs, I am sure Blue Team will show up again soon. Either in Halo 5 Guardians or something very soon after. (My money is on Halo 5 Guardians.) Then the Jannus Key stuff will be concluded in a story arc for Escalation starting in June. The Spirit of Fire will definitely be worked on more at some point, the mystery there is incredible! I love what 343i is doing with it so far. For Sangheili factions such as 'Gajat's, those will be all over the place. There are literally hundreds of Sangheili who claim to now be the rightful leaders, Jul and Thel among those, 'Gajat and Sali previously, and SO many more.

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully that helped at least a little. xD
I wonder if Tanaka is part, or even fully Japanese. Her father did look Asian, so I guess that makes a lot of sense! I had never thought of that haha. Nice catch!
Thanks for the Janus key storyline continuation information :D I never read prologues or previews to avoid the occasional spoiler and also to keep myself free of expectations.
Most of my questions were a form of mild protest. This universe expands in so many different directions simultaneously, that it feels like a collection of crumbs sometimes.
I'm still hoping for a true successor to Ghosts of Onyx. I'd like to see Tom and Lucy portrayed as Elite Super soldiers, capable leaders, with creative problem solving skills again... not the bumbling infants they were made out to be in Glasslands.
Whoops getting off track, lol.
I also find it interesting that we're being introduced to Army characters. As a rule of thumb, Army is on world defence and Navy is deployed offensively. I wonder if this points to humanity being very much on the back foot?
I would presume Tanaka has African Asian descent, given her father and Japanese surname?
I would agree but she sure did not look that way.
Isn't "Koju" a name derived from Bhuddist culture? Even though Romeo was born in Madrigal, his forename could imply that he has some Asian heritage as well.
Grizzlei wrote:

I'm afraid that's exactly what it is. Spartans with neon-colored lights and visors has way more to do with the Power Rangers than it does with Halo's aesthetic.
If we are talking diversity... vocals... why does no one fined it odd that every character even the didactic and librarian have American accents in halo 4... the most diverse halo was Reach (got to love the accent from the hiding Civis that even speak native reach, Kat eastern European cynicism and Jun who was asian) , ODSTs ad and the Ozzy marines from bungie.

saying that Juls english accent is the most believable English speaking Elite.

Where in King Kai's name is vocal diversity.
Anything important happen in this issue?
Black people are some of the most poorly represented people in video games today. That goes double for Black women. Holly Tanaka is one of only two black Spartan women with the other being Margaret-053 from Black Team. I'm thrilled that they're getting some good, positive visibility in Halo. That being said, you're really not paying attention to even just the Halo comics and Spartans alone if you think that black people are the only ones benefitting from 343 Industries' push for racial diversity.
She's mixed race, yeah. I love seeing other peeps like me. :)
Grizzlei wrote:
Black people are some of the most poorly represented people in video games today. That goes double for Black women. Holly Tanaka is one of only two black Spartan women with the other being Margaret-053 from Black Team. I'm thrilled that they're getting some good, positive visibility in Halo. That being said, you're really not paying attention to even just the Halo comics and Spartans alone if you think that black people are the only ones benefitting from 343 Industries' push for racial diversity.
She's mixed race, yeah. I love seeing other peeps like me. :)
I second everything you said considering I can't think of a black protagonist from the last 5 years that wasn't a glaring stereotype I would say African American people being portrayed in a positive light no matter the "over abundance" is nothing but good.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 175
  4. 176
  5. 177
  6. 178
  7. 179
  8. ...
  9. 192