2. ...
  3. 179
  4. 180
  5. 181
  6. 182
  7. 183
  8. ...
  9. 192
Well, Tanaka evolved! I like her already.
Holly was interesting. She was intelligent and skilled enough to build a reactor [she didn't build it but she was going to]. She was very close to her father and showed deep care and emotion for survivors, for hope. Interesting that she thought the two guys were going to do something with her. I suppose she might have seem insurrectionists as 'bad guys not to be trusted', however she survives because of them, which might be interesting later on. Insurrectionists are also human, and when push comes to shove, well getting together is key to surviving.

She learns to trust those she thought weren't good guys, and learns from them. At first, while the loss of her dad gets to her hard, she masters her emotions and does what must be done. And she seems to be able to work well enough with people who are, a pain, to her. She very much thinks about things later on, she focuses and examines the situation. Quick wit. Tanaka's great!

So she is that one Spartan in Locke's team!

Also, the plasma rifles can cause some pretty bad injuries... the part of that guy's arm was like vaporized. ODST armour seems to be able to take at least one shot, which seems to be consistent [recon armour] with The Thursday War. So I wonder, did that guy who was a survivor die? The one who was being carried? Seeing those survivors and the children and the variety of people, I think it was a nice arc.
That was a pretty cool arc, I enjoyed that :)
I must say, I really dig how her armor doesn't scream "I'm a female character". She also does it without being female Schwarzenegger.
So does this confirm that Tanaka is part of Locke's team now?
I'd say it's a yes.

http://i.imgur.com/Bp1NFcB.jpg
Definately, looks like she is on the left in the cover art on Locke's team. Looks like its like blue team (2 men and 2 women as postulated on here previously). I am guessing we got Locke, Tanaka, Macer, and Buck for Spartan Locke's fireteam. We already know blue team.
Caluben wrote:
Boba772 wrote:
Caluben wrote:
Assuming this hasn't been posted yet, Dark Horse's official website released the cover art and description of Halo Escalation #21! Hyyype!!
That helmet looks epic. I wonder who that Spartan is. :D
Well, it isn't Palmer, anyone from Majestic, nor Locke (nor anyone from his team), because the armor is none of their's (just look at the shoulders), so who knows.

I'm more curious as to who the "powerful new combatant" is. I'd like to assume it's not talking about the Sentinels (though I am glad to see they're going to be in the fight as well!).
I'm pretty sure that's the white spartan from Locke's team. The armor is identical if you look at it and compare them.

http://www.halopedia.org/images/4/47/Halo_Escalation_21.jpg
http://www.halopedia.org/images/e/e2/Locke_team_Halo_5.png

Same shoulder pads, same foot armor, same blue streaks, same antenna, etc. Hell, the blue outline on the shoulders are identical. And I'd bet my money on it being Tanaka meaning the red spartan on Locke's team is very likely Macer.
Called it!
I enjoyed that story arc. And look forward to seeing Spartan Tanaka and how she interacts with The rest of Locke's team.

now that just leaves the identity of the red Spartan, probably Macer. And the odst Spartan likely Buck.

I like how 343 is setting up the Back Stories of the new Spatans.
Not to Knock Tanaka but the entry level onto the S-IV candidates list seems Extremely low. Doing the job with forethought, diligence and a good word seems to be all it takes.
I'm glad we have confirmation now that it is Tanaka.
Not to Knock Tanaka but the entry level onto the S-IV candidates list seems Extremely low. Doing the job with forethought, diligence and a good word seems to be all it takes.
I'm guessing the first batch of Spartan IV's ( past Palmer's of course) this is all that was really required as they were just looking for fresh meat so to say and maybe later on the requirements to become a Spartan IV become more demanding once the number of recruits gets high enough.
dajhier1 wrote:
I'm guessing the first batch of Spartan IV's ( past Palmer's of course) this is all that was really required as they were just looking for fresh meat so to say and maybe later on the requirements to become a Spartan IV become more demanding once the number of recruits gets high enough.
Glad to see not all Spartans are meat-headed ground pounders or glamorous SpecOps shock troopers. Ray was from Signals and Tanaka is a combat engineer. I kinda like the versatility.
dajhier1 wrote:
Glad to see not all Spartans are meat-headed ground pounders or glamorous SpecOps shock troopers. Ray was from Signals and Tanaka is a combat engineer. I kinda like the versatility.
some what of Paradox seeing as most Modern Spec-ops teams are built on a foundation of skill specialization, this is nothing new. Example being Navy Seals NCDu inception was formed with engineers. Spartan Branch really does not seem that dissimilar to a modern day Commando contingent.

I have no Qualms about Tanaka. I don't know if its the writing but Becoming a spartan now real does not seem that special. One good word, a magic augment make over with no negative effect and shake... bake... Spartan. its beyond lackluster
Well the only spartans that where selected due to their skills where the 2s. The 3s where orphans.
Guess Romeo isn't part of the team after all...unless he's the one wearing the pink armor because he lost a bet.
Guess Romeo isn't part of the team after all...unless he's the one wearing the pink armor because he lost a bet.
He's been on the vowels diet like Donut was. Eggs and Oreos!! :D. But yeah, I'm sad that he isn't going to be in the game, would've ben very cool to see him again.
He's been on the vowels diet like Donut was. Eggs and Oreos!! :D. But yeah, I'm sad that he isn't going to be in the game, would've ben very cool to see him again.
Oh, I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again in some way, shape, or form in the Halo canon. 343i's been very diligent with bringing back old characters lately. Maybe Romeo retired and is writing a book about his military career. "UNSC Sniper" by Kojo Agu. Random side note..I wonder if any of the soldiers we know in Halo served as technical advisers to movies or video games (or whatever teens play) in-universe lol.
Tanaka is amazing! I am loving this series, and this story arc was great!

I will say that this issue felt slightly rushed, but Tanaka is such a great and human character. Really hoping that we see a lot more of Tanaka, in Escalation, Halo 5, and more media. :)
dajhier1 wrote:
some what of Paradox seeing as most Modern Spec-ops teams are built on a foundation of skill specialization, this is nothing new. Example being Navy Seals NCDu inception was formed with engineers. Spartan Branch really does not seem that dissimilar to a modern day Commando contingent.

I have no Qualms about Tanaka. I don't know if its the writing but Becoming a spartan now real does not seem that special. One good word, a magic augment make over with no negative effect and shake... bake... Spartan. its beyond lackluster
Well that was sorta the whole point with the original Spartan III program, to make "a hundred thousand Spartans defending humanity." It makes sense for Spartans to become more and more the norm. In Halo 5 we have the old legends, Spartan II's, fighting the new guys. I have a feeling this relationship and what it means to be a Spartan will be a key focus of the story.
Really digging the artwork, this recent issue has come a long way from blob team.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 179
  4. 180
  5. 181
  6. 182
  7. 183
  8. ...
  9. 192