1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
juhoxxx wrote:
Alien:Isolation kind of horror game with flood and female civillian main character. Or they could very well use female main character in the main games.
An Idea for that could be Professor Anders trying to evade Prometheans or Flood on 04c
Halo to me has always been one of those games where gender didn't matter. I've never felt uncomfortable playing a female in other games, and all females in Halo are just, y'know, people. They're not "girl power!", they're just strong characters who happen to be women, like how the strong male characters just happen to be male. I can't think of many characters that are written to be explicitly feminine, besides Cortana who's obviously meant to be a mother figure. Palmer's "Attention Ladies and... other Spartans" was the only example I can think of it where the forced female power trope is force-fed to the audience. It wasn't necessary, it just made Palmer look kind of petty. It wasn't needed because females in Halo are of equal power and respect to men.

So for the topic at hand, go for it, it'd be nice to get some more variety in characters.
juhoxxx wrote:
Alien:Isolation kind of horror game with flood and female civillian main character. Or they could very well use female main character in the main games.
An Idea for that could be Professor Anders trying to evade Prometheans or Flood on 04c
Actually that's not a bad idea at all!
I really don't care what gender a main character is. As long as they are likeable, realistic, and not a male/female version of another character; I am fine with it.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'd be interested in this, but they really need to be a character that takes the mantle of leader of the series. Master Chief is so recognizable that if Kelly or Veta or Linda become lead, it would feel forced UNLESS THERE'S A SPECIFIC REASON FOR IT.
I want to second the comment on Horizon Zero Dawn. Aloy is a great main character. I'm over thirty hours in the game and the more I get to know Aloy the more I really enjoy her as the feet and eyes on this journey Guerrilla Games gave us. Female characters in leading roles can be great. Just as long as they're not forced in because of aligning with ridiculous gender politics. Also Rey is great. She's not a Mary Sue. Having a Rey/Aloy/Ellen Ripley main character, unique in their ways but a successful successor to Chief IF that happens would be interesting.
The problem here is that this accusation is going to be made no matter what. It was made for Rey even though you'd swear she isn't a Mary Sue or inserted just because of gender politics. Even Locke, Vale, and Tanaka (and not Buck imagine that) were accused of being SJW-bait by idiots. I just never take this argument about "forced diversity" seriously because of this.
Yeah some would think that. Only because they want ground for accusation. They have nothing else to do but whine and complain about a female lead; they have a hard time with women in command. I do think some a genuinely okay with it though.
I take the forced diversity thing kinda seriously. There's no need for it unless it's done well and it doesn't come across as forced. Some devs fall for that so easily (cough * CoD devs* cough)
Sealki wrote:
Yeah, putting in females just for the sake of having a female has always worked out. Just look at Marvel.

/sarcasm.

I have no problem with female characters, especially female main characters, but don't make it just because they're female. We don't need SJW BS infecting Halo.
Marvel seems to be doing alright for itself. It's turning Captain America into a facsict that isn't working out well for them these days (thought when you actually see the context for the whole Secret Empire arc it makes sense).

Persobally, the few examples I've read where a female lead is in the shoes of a male one aren't bad at all. X-23 as Wolverine works. Can't say much about Jane Foster as Thor, but that series seems to be doing well enough for itself. Same goes for Kate Bishop as Hawkeye.
I'd be interested in this, but they really need to be a character that takes the mantle of leader of the series. Master Chief is so recognizable that if Kelly or Veta or Linda become lead, it would feel forced UNLESS THERE'S A SPECIFIC REASON FOR IT.
I want to second the comment on Horizon Zero Dawn. Aloy is a great main character. I'm over thirty hours in the game and the more I get to know Aloy the more I really enjoy her as the feet and eyes on this journey Guerrilla Games gave us. Female characters in leading roles can be great. Just as long as they're not forced in because of aligning with ridiculous gender politics. Also Rey is great. She's not a Mary Sue. Having a Rey/Aloy/Ellen Ripley main character, unique in their ways but a successful successor to Chief IF that happens would be interesting.
The problem here is that this accusation is going to be made no matter what. It was made for Rey even though you'd swear she isn't a Mary Sue or inserted just because of gender politics. Even Locke, Vale, and Tanaka (and not Buck imagine that) were accused of being SJW-bait by idiots. I just never take this argument about "forced diversity" seriously because of this.
Yeah some would think that. Only because they want ground for accusation. They have nothing else to do but whine and complain about a female lead; they have a hard time with women in command. I do think some a genuinely okay with it though.
I take the forced diversity thing kinda seriously. There's no need for it unless it's done well and it doesn't come across as forced. Some devs fall for that so easily (cough * CoD devs* cough)
Not sure about your example with Call of Duty. Only thing I can think of is the new game having female soldiers in its multiplayer, but it's multiplayer so who really cares?
Sealki wrote:
Yeah, putting in females just for the sake of having a female has always worked out. Just look at Marvel.

/sarcasm.

I have no problem with female characters, especially female main characters, but don't make it just because they're female. We don't need SJW BS infecting Halo.
What about women's existences is inherently conducive to being fodder for "SJW" discourse? We exist. Have you asked yourself if male characters exist so prominently simply because of their gender? I know on the outside looking in that this is definitely the case as the perceived demographic is exclusively male. That is not the case. Everyone deserves representation for the pure sake of representation. Their gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, and so forth will be a significant component of their persona in one fashion or another. It's best to embrace that than simply discarding it as some "Tumblr nonsense" as most here will. Diverse casts are absolutely wonderful.
I'd like to see a game build off what was established in Reach where gender was optional. Maybe they could even add in basic facial customization options for your Spartan.
I can agree to having a female main character... but the way you've worded your post makes me feel like they'd be female just for the sake of being female.
That's probably actually the purest way to implement a female protagonist, I think. Instead of saying "we have a female protagonist, let's re-examine our story and modify it to accommodate that" they should just say "let's swap the gender on the player character." No extra thought or motivation required, far less opportunity to somehow inject gender politics into the game.
Yeah, that's fair. As long as it doesn't feel forced in some way, I'd be okay if we got a female main character.
That's the thing about humanity in the 26th century, though. Their society has gotten to the point where almost no distinction is made between male and female beyond what is medically necessary - in the novels, female and male UNSC personnel have shared cryobays which they go into naked, and obviously there's a massive amount of women on the frontline in the Army and Marines.

So really, we should already have had a female protagonist. But even with that being the case, it shouldn't matter if we're being faithful to the Halo universe.
Not sure about your example with Call of Duty. Only thing I can think of is the new game having female soldiers in its multiplayer, but it's multiplayer so who really cares?
I just like trashing Cal of Duty whenever I can. Ever since Modern Warfare 3, I've hated the games.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I think a female protagonist done right could be great. In general, I've kinda had it with Spartans as main characters. I'd love a spinoff featuring a marine girl.
I'd be interested in this.
A spiritual successor to ODST showing an unaugmented woman and her squad being badasses would be a fun spinoff.
As for the main games, I think in the NEAR future Red team is going to be given more focus. A mission or two in 6 where you can play as Alice?
Y'know what, 343 could outsource the IP to some competent studio and have them make a new Halo ODST game where you play as Veronica Dare.
I think Miranda Keyes in Halo 2,3 and Veronica Dare in ODST were better presented then Palmer,Tanaka,Vale,Kelly and Linda in Halo 4,5.Alice in Halo Wars 2 is the best presented female Spartan imo.My wish is to play as Palmer,Rey or Naomi 010 in the future.How Halo 5 ended we have Blue Team,Team Osiris,Sarah Palmer and Arbiter together while Infinity is hiding with Spartan IV-s aboard.So we could play as Palmer and/or Rey who is on Infinity in Halo 6 and Naomi would fit in a spinn off Halo game.
Nothing wrong with the concept in principal, as long as the character is well written I could care less.
Halo has a good track record with female characters thus far (besides Palmer anyway), so more are always welcome imo.

Ideally I'd like to see a narrative with an ensemble cast again, with multiple character perspectives, (Jerome, Alice, Douglas and Isabel, for example) but yes I'd be cool with a fem-protag. Heck, maybe 343 will finally capitalise on all of that wasted O.N.I. buildup and let us play as a rogue agent whistleblowing classified Flood experiments or something of the like.
Sealki wrote:

/sarcasm.

Marvel seems to be doing alright for itself. It's turning Captain America into a facsict that isn't working out well for them these days (thought when you actually see the context for the whole Secret Empire arc it makes sense).

Persobally, the few examples I've read where a female lead is in the shoes of a male one aren't bad at all. X-23 as Wolverine works. Can't say much about Jane Foster as Thor, but that series seems to be doing well enough for itself. Same goes for Kate Bishop as Hawkeye.
Just look up the YouTube channel Diversity and Comics. He talks a ton about SJW Marvel.
I did and the second I watched his video calling The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl a fake comic book I saw his opinion wasn't worth considering. And every other word out of his mouth was SJW.

I'll just read what interests me and form my own opinions.
I'd like to see a game build off what was established in Reach where gender was optional. Maybe they could even add in basic facial customization options for your Spartan.
I'm kind of done with blank slate characters. They're a two-generations old concept which is dying away for good reason. Give me a good story and some decent character development, and leave blank characters to RPGs.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6