Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] HALO GAME WHERE A WOMAN IS MAIN CHARACTER

OP N1K Leonhart

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
Only if done respectfully, passionately and with consideration to canon and 'believability''; as opposed to some ticky box 'yay aren't we good we put a womanz in our game and she iz strong and good at effryfink eva.'

Give me someone like an Ellen Ripley rather than a Rey.
Hey hey hey,rey was fine don't be one of those guys
Sorry to disappoint but i suppose I am one of those guys. What's enjoyable about a character that has no flaws and learns everything in a second, even if she hasn't been taught it/knows of its existence? I don't care about any fan-fic/fan theory that she is the great great granddaughter of the Dee-vine wun Hisself - all I have to go off is that cruddy film and in it she is just the Sueiest of Mary's.

Absolute terrible character in a terrible film that adds to a, now, terrible franchise.
That's your opinion
The bits about how I received it negatively yes; but you can't refute that Rey pulled skills out of nowhere and didn't really fail.

Never met a Wookie - talks Shiriwook.
Stuck on a desert never left the planet - flies the Falcon with enough skill to outmanoeuvre trained imperial pilots.
Didn't even know Jedi etc. were a fact and had no training in the force - uses a lightsaber and defeats someone trained as a Jedi and Sith, performs a mind trick with no knowledge of the technique, performs force pull and defeats a mind probe. Again with no training.
Never met Leia but becomes he besty so much so that Chewbacca gets no love after the final raid.

I'm sure there is more but its been ages since I saw that dross. These things happened in the film, they are facts of the film NOT opinion.

Do you want that kind of stupid pandering for this theoretical female led Halo game? I don't.
No issues with any type of person in a story, if written well - forced ticky-box 'we aren't racist/homophobic/sexist because we got a black or a woman or a trans' exercises with no substance are terrible.
I think that would be really cool. It would even be consistent with the books since more of the books has female leads in them.
Only if done respectfully, passionately and with consideration to canon and 'believability''; as opposed to some ticky box 'yay aren't we good we put a womanz in our game and she iz strong and good at effryfink eva.'

Give me someone like an Ellen Ripley rather than a Rey.
Hey hey hey,rey was fine don't be one of those guys
Sorry to disappoint but i suppose I am one of those guys. What's enjoyable about a character that has no flaws and learns everything in a second, even if she hasn't been taught it/knows of its existence? I don't care about any fan-fic/fan theory that she is the great great granddaughter of the Dee-vine wun Hisself - all I have to go off is that cruddy film and in it she is just the Sueiest of Mary's.

Absolute terrible character in a terrible film that adds to a, now, terrible franchise.
That's your opinion
The bits about how I received it negatively yes; but you can't refute that Rey pulled skills out of nowhere and didn't really fail.

Never met a Wookie - talks Shiriwook.
Stuck on a desert never left the planet - flies the Falcon with enough skill to outmanoeuvre trained imperial pilots.
Didn't even know Jedi etc. were a fact and had no training in the force - uses a lightsaber and defeats someone trained as a Jedi and Sith, performs a mind trick with no knowledge of the technique, performs force pull and defeats a mind probe. Again with no training.
Never met Leia but becomes he besty so much so that Chewbacca gets no love after the final raid.

I'm sure there is more but its been ages since I saw that dross. These things happened in the film, they are facts of the film NOT opinion.

Do you want that kind of stupid pandering for this theoretical female led Halo game? I don't.
No issues with any type of person in a story, if written well - forced ticky-box 'we aren't racist/homophobic/sexist because we got a black or a woman or a trans' exercises with no substance are terrible.
While I agree with some of what you say it's possible she had her mind wiped and was partially trained as a jedi.And kylo Ren was injured so it's possible to take him out,if he were full strength and she defeated him I would agree with you
As long as she is an interesting character with flaws, a great voice actress, cool armor design, and a group of awesome supporting characters to help her or oppose her, then I'm on board.
Does everyone forget Noble 6 was a main character and could be a girl? Or are we still in the days where Reach was hated. The only Halo game where I think would work as a female main character is one centered around Naomi. She has the latest Spartan armor and would be on a tear.
Noble 6 is barely a character. He's less defined than Master Chief was in CE.
I think they both were made that way on purpose. Noble 6 that is.
Does everyone forget Noble 6 was a main character and could be a girl? Or are we still in the days where Reach was hated. The only Halo game where I think would work as a female main character is one centered around Naomi. She has the latest Spartan armor and would be on a tear.
Noble 6 is barely a character. He's less defined than Master Chief was in CE.
I think they both were made that way on purpose. Noble 6 that is.
If you check the references on Noble 6's Halopedia page, it's been confirmed by a ~tangential~ employee that they were canonically male (undercutting the entire point Reach made of allowing players to customize their Spartan's armor and gender, gawd/blam!/ it Loftus).

I'm all in for a Halo game with a female protagonist. Spartan Assault counts, but it's no serious front-page franchise entry, and with the ambiguity of Reach taken out behind a dumpster and shot (hello, my name is salty) the sheer track record of ten+ games where only one is definitively female, I kinda feel like fair is fair turnabout. A game with a female protagonist doesn't have to be about gender studies, and if gender of main character X isn't important, then I'm a hundred percent behind just putting a female in the lead role. I'll Gamestop pre-order bonus the special edition.
Does everyone forget Noble 6 was a main character and could be a girl? Or are we still in the days where Reach was hated. The only Halo game where I think would work as a female main character is one centered around Naomi. She has the latest Spartan armor and would be on a tear.
Noble 6 is barely a character. He's less defined than Master Chief was in CE.
I think they both were made that way on purpose. Noble 6 that is.
If you check the references on Noble 6's Halopedia page, it's been confirmed by a ~tangential~ employee that they were canonically male (undercutting the entire point Reach made of allowing players to customize their Spartan's armor and gender, gawd/blam!/ it Loftus).

I'm all in for a Halo game with a female protagonist. Spartan Assault counts, but it's no serious front-page franchise entry, and with the ambiguity of Reach taken out behind a dumpster and shot (hello, my name is salty) the sheer track record of ten+ games where only one is definitively female, I kinda feel like fair is fair turnabout. A game with a female protagonist doesn't have to be about gender studies, and if gender of main character X isn't important, then I'm a hundred percent behind just putting a female in the lead role. I'll Gamestop pre-order bonus the special edition.
As I said if they do a female Halo FPS I'd hope it is Naomi. Serious she has Mark VII come on put it good use.
Doesn't matter their gender or race/etc, as long as the story and characters are well written. While more representation would be nice it can't come at the sacrifice of everything around it. That's not saying it would be bad, mind you, but to do something just to do it without support is a recipe for disaster.

Don't really see it happening in the main series anytime soon as Chief is touted to be the main focus of the next installment as he really should be, him and all of Blue team who need some spotlight. Would be interesting to see if they'd consider side games beyond the main series where they can tell different stories with different main characters that aren't limited to the crappy spartan strike style games and beyond Halo Wars.
Does everyone forget Noble 6 was a main character and could be a girl? Or are we still in the days where Reach was hated. The only Halo game where I think would work as a female main character is one centered around Naomi. She has the latest Spartan armor and would be on a tear.
Noble 6 is barely a character. He's less defined than Master Chief was in CE.
I think they both were made that way on purpose. Noble 6 that is.
If you check the references on Noble 6's Halopedia page, it's been confirmed by a ~tangential~ employee that they were canonically male (undercutting the entire point Reach made of allowing players to customize their Spartan's armor and gender, gawd/blam!/ it Loftus).

I'm all in for a Halo game with a female protagonist. Spartan Assault counts, but it's no serious front-page franchise entry, and with the ambiguity of Reach taken out behind a dumpster and shot (hello, my name is salty) the sheer track record of ten+ games where only one is definitively female, I kinda feel like fair is fair turnabout. A game with a female protagonist doesn't have to be about gender studies, and if gender of main character X isn't important, then I'm a hundred percent behind just putting a female in the lead role. I'll Gamestop pre-order bonus the special edition.
As I said if they do a female Halo FPS I'd hope it is Naomi. Serious she has Mark VII come on put it good use.
Yeah, I wonder how that'd work in gameplay, with the talk of nanotech components being able to change the armor. Perhaps a set of on-the-go changeable combat profiles a la Mass Effect: Andromeda? Though in a faster FPS, that'd probably take the form of Crysis-like different abilities. But, then again, Cortana somehow changed John's entire look while in cryo, so maybe they're already at work.
slvr cobra wrote:
Only if done respectfully, passionately and with consideration to canon and 'believability''; as opposed to some ticky box 'yay aren't we good we put a womanz in our game and she iz strong and good at effryfink eva.'

Give me someone like an Ellen Ripley rather than a Rey.
Hey hey hey,rey was fine don't be one of those guys
Hahaha, no she wasnt. All these people praising Rey; If a random nobody shows up in the Halo universe and starts wrecking house with no training and making friends with everybody because of yall, I swear to God that'll be the day I'm really done with Halo.
You mean like exactly what Luke Skywalker did when he blew up the Death Star using telekenesis after one hour of saber training flying a fighter he'd never flown before? The same Luke Skywalker that didn't have a single meaningful flaw in the first movie, whereas Rey's abandonment issues lead to her getting captured and ultimately Han killed?

Fact of the matter is, female characters have it rough in fiction. Sometimes the criticism of pandering and SJW narrative are warranted (Ghostbusters) but in cases like Rey, it is only accurate if you say the same thing about Luke.
Only if done respectfully, passionately and with consideration to canon and 'believability''; as opposed to some ticky box 'yay aren't we good we put a womanz in our game and she iz strong and good at effryfink eva.'

Give me someone like an Ellen Ripley rather than a Rey.
Hey hey hey,rey was fine don't be one of those guys
Sorry to disappoint but i suppose I am one of those guys. What's enjoyable about a character that has no flaws and learns everything in a second, even if she hasn't been taught it/knows of its existence? I don't care about any fan-fic/fan theory that she is the great great granddaughter of the Dee-vine wun Hisself - all I have to go off is that cruddy film and in it she is just the Sueiest of Mary's.

Absolute terrible character in a terrible film that adds to a, now, terrible franchise.
That's your opinion
While I agree with some of what you say it's possible she had her mind wiped and was partially trained as a jedi.And kylo Ren was injured so it's possible to take him out,if he were full strength and she defeated him I would agree with you
Agree or don't with how I place value on them; but know the things I mentioned are the FACTS of the movie, NOT opinion.

Mind wipe, as of now, is pure speculation, got none of that from the film, so based off of the evidence at hand - she just pulled these skills out of nowhere. I am not a fan of the JJ Abrams mystery box rubbish to keep watching/legitimising something.

So what he was injured? He could have used the force to kill her instantly - we saw dude stop a plasma bolt effortlessly and he even locked up Rey's body effortlessly, all of a sudden he forgets his powers? Furthermore he is/aspires to be Sith - they feed off of pain and hatred, as evidenced by him punching his wound, oddly he could have been MORE powerful at that point.
In previous lore a lightsaber was something that took not only great skill but Jedi reflexes, otherwise the risk to the wielder was high, yet in Star Bores the Farce Awakens everyone and their mum can just use a lightsaber like its nothing and hold their own or even beat a person trained as a Jedi/Sith who is from the lineage of the Skywalkers (dem Midichlorians doe)!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Like I said no issues with anyone in anything (mostly, it can be contextual) if done correctly, could Luke and Leia have swapped roles in the original trilogy and be enjoyable? I definitely think so yes. If Rey was a male would I have enjoyed Ep 7? HELL NO, it would still be poorly written trash in which the main protagonists just achieve things because, flying in the face of previously established lore and good storytelling.

Once more to relate it to this topic, I don't want that for Halo, the example I gave of an Ellen Ripley style character that we see grow yet be consistent and relatable because they aren't propelled into unrealistic and uninteresting perfectness based off of some 'minority' status. Take the MC for instance, at a superficial glance you could say he is a Mary Sue - he nigh on never loses, he can fly anything, drive anything, shoot any gun, he comes up with plans and they succeed, he survived where many others have died; yet go and ask him to mingle in a social setting, negotiate some peace talks, take annual leave, look after a child, tell us about his first love and hobbies etc. That is interesting to me, shows there are many facets to this guy other than 'he just succeeds at everything ever, ever, because, oh and he's a Chinese millennial, homosexual, Republican who participates in prayer circles - DEMOGRAPHIC BOX CHECKED!!!'

Just to clarify, because these days for some reason, mentioning people, literally mentioning them is offensive now. I am not poking fun at any of the groups mentioned, I am making the point that these corporate people do NOT care for making quality products but bamboozle people into thinking they are by adding someone with the same, physical/sexual/political/religious characteristics as people to draw them in without having any substance to the story/product. I am a 'minority' and can not stand when some characteristic is forced in so unnaturally just so a developer can say 'we are cool and not prejudice' - case in point ME: Andromeda when out of nowhere and crazy uncharacteristically the engineer on EOS just spits in your face that she s trans!!!
ROBERTO jh wrote:
slvr cobra wrote:
Only if done respectfully, passionately and with consideration to canon and 'believability''; as opposed to some ticky box 'yay aren't we good we put a womanz in our game and she iz strong and good at effryfink eva.'

Give me someone like an Ellen Ripley rather than a Rey.
You mean like exactly what Luke Skywalker did when he blew up the Death Star using telekenesis after one hour of saber training flying a fighter he'd never flown before? The same Luke Skywalker that didn't have a single meaningful flaw in the first movie, whereas Rey's abandonment issues lead to her getting captured and ultimately Han killed?

Fact of the matter is, female characters have it rough in fiction. Sometimes the criticism of pandering and SJW narrative are warranted (Ghostbusters) but in cases like Rey, it is only accurate if you say the same thing about Luke.
Correct me if I am wrong; but didn't Rey think Jedi and such were fiction, as evidenced by Han saying 'it's all real'? Didn't Rey never leave the planet and call the Falcon a piece of junk?
So Rey, didn't really know about the force and such as a fact, no training (not even seeing things performed - to know its possible or being trained during the length of a hyperspace journey), and yet she can expertly force pull (took Luke until Empire in the Wampa cave) and mind trick (Luke saw Obi perform it and Luke failed to do it in Jedi against Jabba) and fight a mind probe by someone trained, to some extent, as a Jedi AND Sith.
Then this same Rey who has never left the planet and calls the Falcon junk can fly and fix this thing better than Han Solo has ever been shown to, whereas at least it was mentioned that Luke was a good pilot and that they used to shoot tiny Wamp rats so they could get the exhaust, as well as being overtly guided by the magic space wizard that gave hm SOME schooling in space magic.
Rey's abandonment issue was amazingly forced so that Harrison Ford could finally rid himself of the role, it wasn't any character development, she just randomly swapped characters with Finn to propel a terrible plot.

BADLY WRITTEN and FORCED female characters have it bad in fiction, good ones not so much (there are always die hard bigots) e.g. Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, Storm, (the latest version of) Thor, Sif, Hela, Princess Leia, Death (Marvel), Wonder Woman, Kelly, Linda, Naomi, Serin Osmin, Halsey, She-Hulk, Emma Frost, Buffy, etc. etc.
It's a pity that majority of Community doesn't like Sarah Palmer.I think that in Halo 4 and 5 she is presented good even if Master Chief ignores her completely twice in Halo 4 for no reason because she seems to be a fan of him.She is not so good presenten in Spartan Ops though and maybe that's why people dont like her so much.
It's a pity that majority of Community doesn't like Sarah Palmer.I think that in Halo 4 and 5 she is presented good even if Master Chief ignores her completely twice in Halo 4 for no reason because she seems to be a fan of him.She is not so good presenten in Spartan Ops though and maybe that's why people dont like her so much.
Just don't think she was represented well in the first place and subsequent material didn't help. Feels more she talks big and doesn't really deliver as much, is hasty, and is bit too arrogant/etc. I don't think I hate her but I think I just don't care about her either way.

That's not to say things won't change or maybe they were hoping to give her more story to temper her/etc but personally if we're going to get a female lead I'd prefer either someone new, Linda or Kelly (but I'd really rather they'd stay a team,) or let Tanaka bust some heads.
Kelly-087 as the main protagonist for 'Halo 6'!...hey, I can dream can't I? ;)

In all seriousness though, OP, I do agree it is high time we had a female character frontrunning a Halo game. The gaming industry is slowly but surely shaking off the "boys only" visage - and in the wake of success stories like 'Horizon Zero Dawn' and 'Dishonored 2', it wouldn't be out of the question for Halo to follow suit.
I agree. But theres quite a few female protagonists that go back way further then that. Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, just to name a few. I still think Palmer had some interesting potential.

My vote for ultimate female badass is easily Ellen Ripley!
If you want to get technical,cortana was a main character in previous halos
Very true. Even though she's not playable, I still think she's integral to the series. Gotta be my favorite female character accross all media. Nerd crush in full effect since HCE.
NatDanger wrote:
I get the point you're trying to make, but I wouldn't be so quick to hold up Metroid as an example of this anymore, considering how Nintendo has blatantly sexualized Samus, and her characterization in Metroid Other M.
I don't see Palmer being arrogant or abrasive as fundamentally a problem itself. That's how some people just are, so it makes sense we'd get someone like her eventually. Now, had 343 just made her stay static as that kind of character, we'd have a problem. But she has been challenged in subsequent material and is probably more humble after everything that's happened. Coincidentally, this happened after she stopped solely becoming Brian Reed's wish-fulfillment character. Go figure.
I think there should be Halo game with female lead role in future.90% of games out there have male protagonists,give woman's a chance!B.R.if you read this know that i support you with all my heart and you're awesome !<3
This idea is perfect!
NatDanger wrote:
I get the point you're trying to make, but I wouldn't be so quick to hold up Metroid as an example of this anymore, considering how Nintendo has blatantly sexualized Samus, and her characterization in Metroid Other M.
Kelly-087 as the main protagonist for 'Halo 6'!...hey, I can dream can't I? ;)

In all seriousness though, OP, I do agree it is high time we had a female character frontrunning a Halo game. The gaming industry is slowly but surely shaking off the "boys only" visage - and in the wake of success stories like 'Horizon Zero Dawn' and 'Dishonored 2', it wouldn't be out of the question for Halo to follow suit.
I agree. But theres quite a few female protagonists that go back way further then that. Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, just to name a few. I still think Palmer had some interesting potential.

My vote for ultimate female badass is easily Ellen Ripley!
There is also Naomi-010.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6