OP N1K Leonhart

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6
That would be great! Maybe a Spartan Female?
I don't see Palmer being arrogant or abrasive as fundamentally a problem itself. That's how some people just are, so it makes sense we'd get someone like her eventually. Now, had 343 just made her stay static as that kind of character, we'd have a problem. But she has been challenged in subsequent material and is probably more humble after everything that's happened. Coincidentally, this happened after she stopped solely becoming Brian Reed's wish-fulfillment character. Go figure.
Yeah i agree with you she is after all Commander of Spartan IV-s and you don't accomplish this by being nice to everyone.And Reed made all new Spartans act like they are in Comics,a bit exaggerated in their behaviour as Super Soldiers.
Why does it have to be a huge deal that she is a female?
I think they could introduce someone (pre-existing character or not) as the protagonist of a Halo game. She happens to be a woman, but that is never made a point of by 343.

That would go over a lot better than "look we have a character lined up as a main aND SHE IS A WOMAN LOOK AT US OMG"
Sure, if the game is well made and does not make the main character a woman for the sake of equality. The quality of the game & story must come first!
Doesn't anyone find it strange that female characters (and characters of color male and female) have to adhere to a whole bunch of prerequisites to justify their presence in a story while ironically being told they shouldn't be there to check-off a bunch of "diversity" prerequisites? Don't conform to that list, conform to ours!

Like, unless a developer says they only have a characater for diversity purposes, how would you know they are only there for nefarious "diversity" reasons? If quality is the issue here, we let a plethora of otherwise mediocre, one-dimensional white male characaters (I know that sounds social justice-y but bear with me) pass without a second thought. Yet the second someone suggests a woman be a characater or someone non-white be a characater or said characater actually exists, people bust out the concerns for quality and making sure they aren't just a token?
Doesn't anyone find it strange that female characters (and characters of color male and female) have to adhere to a whole bunch of prerequisites to justify their presence in a story while ironically being told they shouldn't be there to check-off a bunch of "diversity" prerequisites? Don't conform to that list, conform to ours!

Like, unless a developer says they only have a characater for diversity purposes, how would you know they are only there for nefarious "diversity" reasons? If quality is the issue here, we let a plethora of otherwise mediocre, one-dimensional white male characaters (I know that sounds social justice-y but bear with me) pass without a second thought. Yet the second someone suggests a woman be a characater or someone non-white be a characater or said characater actually exists, people bust out the concerns for quality and making sure they aren't just a token?
Havent seen many Asian people in Halo or maybe they are?

Havent seen many Asian people in Halo or maybe they are?
You've got Jun and Lt. Jet from Halo 5. Probably more.
In my humble opinion, it would be a nice change of pace. Technically Palmer was the main character for SA (though the game does seem to downplay her role in events there). And to quote Dr. Halsey above me, it does seem to be a troubling issue within any society, normal or entertainment, that as soon as someone suggests a female character or other "minority" be placed in the spotlight/lead role of something, those opposed to it spring from the woodwork. As long as people can relate to a character in some form. They should be well rounded, fleshed out enough to sense motivations, and have a personality that tells you almost immediately "oh, he's a villain" or "she's a hero." That should not be influenced by gender. Does that matter in the gaming industry? To a certain degree, yes. According to these statistics men account for almost three fifths of the gaming population. Now according to psychological theory, people feel more comfortable with something they are familiar with, like how people adjust to going to a new school, they find at a certain point the number of people they can be open with explodes upwards. It is the same for gamers. As men make up the majority of the population, it is more "sensible" to make game protagonists male, so they can be related to easier. In order to break this cycle, a person must actively try to "wean" themselves off this mindset and play more games with a more diverse (and I use this term loosely, as diversity is subject to perception and biased opinion) character set. Some people may not find this as hard as others. It is truly dependent on how we view ourselves and others. The value we place on having our characters be one gender or another is common, as I will play a male character if given the choice. But having played games with female lead characters (not Tomb Raider, I'm not a fan of it) I don't mind stepping out of my boundaries and trying a new character.
That would be cool but i would want the character to be fleshed out and not just a PC remake kinda thing like ghostbusters, and no palmer XD
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Definitely agree. We have too many female protagonists in the Halo universe for them not to lead a game. Veronica Dare, Veta Lopis, Rion Forge, Petra Janecek, Naomi-010, hell maybe even Serin Osman before she became CINCONI. I think a game with Maya Sankar in her early pre-FERO exploits would be interesting, too.
Exactly! great idea
So if, for instance 343 decided to make a lead female character (for argument purposes she is a perfect character in terms of development, backstory and whatnot), do you think people will react favorably: "Yay! A new, awesome character!" or unfavorably "What is this SJW -yoink-!?". Though it does kind of depend on the role she would fill and in what capacity. Opinions? Feel free to add anything I missed.
So if, for instance 343 decided to make a lead female character (for argument purposes she is a perfect character in terms of development, backstory and whatnot), do you think people will react favorably: "Yay! A new, awesome character!" or unfavorably "What is this SJW -yoink-!?". Though it does kind of depend on the role she would fill and in what capacity. Opinions? Feel free to add anything I missed.
I'm sure there would be elements of both; just look at the current discussion regarding the new Doctor Who.

I think it's high time for a Halo with a female primary protagonist, yes; like others have said though, there's no need to write her with any particular stereotypes or any marketing that goes out of its way to hype that fact just to pat ourselves on the back for being so diverse when it's to be expected. Just do it and let her speak for herself.
I'm up for a game with Dare as the protagonist, as a suggestion.

Although I'm sure anything to do with Dare is unfortunately going to be relegated to the books from now on; I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but I really would like to see the inner workings of ONI from an in-game perspective, as they've been such an illusive force throughout Halo media, and giving that insight through the lens of a familiar and generally well received character (sorry Locke) would be the best way to do so, imo.
I don't care who is the protagonist, as long as it has a good story and have some thought put into it, no reliance on recycled material, bringing old characters back from the death or, fan service. As far as I can tell, Noble 6 could be plaid as a woman, guess people forgot about that, but again, don't care who the protagonist is, as long as it is an amazing story and fun gameplay, not COD.
Like I mean I get the idea of this, but just don't force a woman protagonist for the sake of having a woman protagonist (Don't pull a Ghostbusters 2, basically)

Honestly, I don't care, but I don't see why you have places like Marvel wanting to replace iron man for the sake of diversity. I honestly couldn't care less what gender or race a character is as long as its a well-built character
Fishztikz wrote:
Like I mean I get the idea of this, but just don't force a woman protagonist for the sake of having a woman protagonist (Don't pull a Ghostbusters 2, basically)

Honestly, I don't care, but I don't see why you have places like Marvel wanting to replace iron man for the sake of diversity. I honestly couldn't care less what gender or race a character is as long as its a well-built character
Yeah i agree,it should not be forced(Alien movies)LOL.Just kidding those are good movies.And if we don't get a standalone woman Halo game there are already good female Spartans established that could get some playable missions in next games:Vale,Tanaka,Palmer and Alice.
Fishztikz wrote:

Yeah i agree,it should not be forced(Alien movies)LOL.Just kidding those are good movies.And if we don't get a standalone woman Halo game there are already good female Spartans established that could get some playable missions in next games:Palmer
I like the way you think, Spartan.
Quote:
Fishztikz wrote:

Yeah i agree,it should not be forced(Alien movies)LOL.Just kidding those are good movies.And if we don't get a standalone woman Halo game there are already good female Spartans established that could get some playable missions in next games:Palmer
I like the way you think, Spartan.
Thanks,also i forgot about Kelly and Linda.
Why does it have to be a huge deal that she is a female?
I think they could introduce someone (pre-existing character or not) as the protagonist of a Halo game. She happens to be a woman, but that is never made a point of by 343.

That would go over a lot better than "look we have a character lined up as a main aND SHE IS A WOMAN LOOK AT US OMG"
No, but judging that there are 5 main entries and another 3 or 4 other games in the series primarily starring men... it's about damned time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6