Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo Novels chapters rearrangement idea

OP LogicalLube

Hypothetically speaking (and that’s all it is at this point, hypothetical), if I were to take certain Halo novels (mostly Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, and First Strike) specific chapters and rearrange them in typed format to put them in purely chronological order in relation to the games in where certain events happen in relation to others how much trouble would I get into with Microsoft’s legal team?

This is mostly a personal idea/project I’d like to do but I wouldn’t be against posting the results publicly as long as Fair Use legality wasn’t in question.
To my knowledge, so long as you don't claim the project to be your own thing, then you're good to go. The real issue is if you make money off their work. So long as it's a passion project, Microsoft's lawyers aren't going to care. The second you start making money off their copyrighted material, expect a "cease and desist" letter.
Even if it meant copying the chapters down verbatim, just in modified chronological order?
Even if it meant copying the chapters down verbatim, just in modified chronological order?
Do you mean that in this case you're copying the content of said novels and pasting them in choronological order to form a single "wholesome book"? That's of course fine if you just keep it all to yourself but all those books are still copyrighted today so you'll get in trouble if you dare post this "wholesome book" online (when Amazon first started showing online previews of books they got legal backlash from the publishers if I remember it right). So no, it won't be okay if you copy too much content directly. As for exactly how much is too much? That's up to MS and the publishers.
If it's for yourself go ahead. You can do what you want with your books. To sell them to other people? No you can't. It would still be considered copywrite material even if just change up the order of the chapters.
If you're gonna copy and paste their copyrighted material into a different order, then that will be a problem if you release it to the general public. That's their intellectual property. They still sell those books and make money off that material, so if you post what would essentially be a free version of their stuff, you'll get a not-so-friendly letter in the mail from a Microsoft lawyer.
Maybe you could just release the order of chapters so people can reference them in their own copies of the books?
Maybe you could just release the order of chapters so people can reference them in their own copies of the books?
The only issue with that that I could foresee is possible differences between the different editions of the books. I assume the bonus material in the second editions would be the only real differences but I’m not sure. I’ll have to do a thorough run through of my notes someday, I have an overall order in which to read the major books in but the first couple ones (The Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx are the main big ugly culprits, and to be honest I still haven't fully fleshed out how to tackle the infamous “September Anomaly” in First Strike) are all peppered with hand written notes and sticky notes unfortunately. I’d need to get a clean and definitive timeline outlined out before I could even dream of something like that.
Ah I used to run a thread based on that. Least be said... canon orders like that get a lil... insane to deal with. Its in my signature. But hasnt been updated for a good while. I dont recommend it to be honest.
If you want to share the work, the unquestionably legal option would be to just give the range of page numbers for each section, listed in chronological order of the timeline, that way people could stick bookmarks in and read them in order, but they couldn't do it without acquiring the books for themselves.
There are lists online that already put all of the content in chronological order this way.
I'll echo other comments that you should not under any circumstances release the actual text of the books online, with the only changes being the order of the chapters. That will probably not hold up under Fair Use (obligatory I am not a lawyer disclaimer) since you're not transforming the material in any significant way. What you can do with unquestionable legality is to just post the page ranges / chapters numbers in order as reference for someone who already legally owns the books to use for themselves.
LethalQ wrote:
If it's for yourself go ahead. You can do what you want with your books. To sell them to other people? No you can't. It would still be considered copywrite material even if just change up the order of the chapters.
Well said. I was going to say the same thing.