Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Halo Reach Game vs. Book

OP SalsaCoveredMas

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Just a quick question.
I read the book Fall of Reach and played the game. If I remember correctly, they both tell the story of Reach differently. I`m wondering which one is considered to be what really happened and/or what`s considered to be canon?
Well, one story is about the Master Chief's part on Reach's orbit while the other story is about a team of Spartans struggling to fight a losing battle. Both are canon, with the time lapse that the Master Chief arrived to the fight later whereas NOBLE team fought in it since it started (about more than a month, I believe) because when the MC arrived in space combat, the Covenant have nearly destroyed the UNSC armada and most, if not, all of the Orbital Defense Platforms (OPD) and they also were beginning to glass Reach.
I mean that those respectively are what really happened, sorry.
Thats isnt right, even if you try to make them both fit. Reach the game contradicts the book. In the game the Pillar of autumn hasnt left the planet yet and the Covennant are already attacking. In the book, the Autumn has to turn around to go help reach as they get attacked
Bungue was never too concerned about cannon. At least after 3. They kind of just put out ODST and Reach to be money makers....... personally I'd go with the books.... specially since you see MC ON Autumn in cryo as an easter egg after its leaving Reach's Surface.
If memory serves, the events relating to Long Night of Solace (the covenant super carrier discovered by NOBLE team) arent mentioned in the book what so ever.

Granted its been awhile since I read it, I recall that there was a large fleet in orbit above Reach before the covenant showed up, and had a plan in place to try and get the upper hand using massive orbital repair platforms to block the first barrage of covvy attacks. In the game, you see the covvy fleet arrive and hear something about how the nearest fleet is still days away.

I would honestly go with the books in terms of cannon.
The book tells the events from the point of view, primarily, of that of the Chief. Halo Reach tells the events from the Point of View of Noble 6. As the two never met, their stories are very different.

I put a timeline together a while ago that should help you out, OP:
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm1174890_The-Battle-of-Reach-Timeline.aspx
They are both canon. Halo Reach tells the story of the Fall of Reach through Noble Six's eyes and what happened on the ground. Fall of Reach I believe showed it through the Chief's eyes and what it was like in space.
Quote:
If memory serves, the events relating to Long Night of Solace (the covenant super carrier discovered by NOBLE team) arent mentioned in the book what so ever.

Granted its been awhile since I read it, I recall that there was a large fleet in orbit above Reach before the covenant showed up, and had a plan in place to try and get the upper hand using massive orbital repair platforms to block the first barrage of covvy attacks. In the game, you see the covvy fleet arrive and hear something about how the nearest fleet is still days away.

No. The games are higher in canon level than the books. In fact, I think the only thing that can override the game's canon is Bungie or 343.
There is NO possible way to mesh both the book and the game together. There are to many inconsistencies and things you just have to straight up ignore for it to work right.

The games are supposed to be "higher canon" than the books, but the entire Reach encounter is so heavily ret-conned, that I follow the books. Unless some significant changes were made in the "Definitive Edition", which I'm reading right now, I just consider Noble Teams adventures to have happened after the PoA jumped out of the system, and that the entire "Deliver the Cortana Fragment to the PoA." segment never happened.
Quote:
Bungue was never too concerned about cannon. At least after 3. They kind of just put out ODST and Reach to be money makers....... personally I'd go with the books.... specially since you see MC ON Autumn in cryo as an easter egg after its leaving Reach's Surface.
Not to mention Spartan IIIs running around and meeting Halsey when she DID NOT know about them.

As per the book, there were NO prior battles on Reach prior to the PoA jumping out of system. The Fall of Reach took place in less than 24 hours.

Anyway, I treat the game Reach as alternate reality that should be best forgotten.
Quote:
Quote:
Not to mention Spartan IIIs running around and meeting Halsey when she DID NOT know about them.

As per the book, there were NO prior battles on Reach prior to the PoA jumping out of system. The Fall of Reach took place in less than 24 hours.

Anyway, I treat the game Reach as alternate reality that should be best forgotten.
It's called a retcon, it has happened in Halo many times before. The book "The Fall of Reach" only dedicates a small section of the book to the actual Battle of Reach, and the book is mainly told from the point of view of the Master Chief, John-117. As he never encountered Noble Team or Noble 6, it's no wonder the game tells a different story.

The game never once calles out Noble Team as being Spartan-IIIs. In addition, Halsey had suspicions about other programs similar to her Spartan-II program for years after canceling a second class of S-IIs. While she doesn't actually learn of the S-III program until the events of "First Strike", she had had suspicious for some time.

I would also like to point out that Eric Nylund was on the writing staff for the game, and wrote Halsey's Journal. Bungie had great respect for Nylunds work, and worked like crazy to work around it. The only thing that the game really changes from the book is when the Pillar of Autumn leaves the Reach system.

Again, I point you over here. This is my version, but plenty of other fans have pieced together the events without fail. Most of Reach was kept in the dark about the Covenant invasion. When the Visegrad Relay was taken out, it cut off the Viery Territory from the rest of Reach, and cut off Reach from the rest of the UNSC.
I just cannot believe Noble team doesn't have its own book.
Yeah, the book isn't cannon compared to the game unfortunately. Reach is my all time favorite Halo and game in general. But the book's attention to detail, the character development, the description and the overall ability to make me feel like I'm RIGHT THERE on Reach with Red Team, and Chief in First Strike make me like the book more in terms of cannon. Also it's more realistic, the Covenant sent their biggest fleet to Reach ever recorded, and that is in both the game and books, so Reach lasting a month before falling seems out of the question. It would've taken a day or two.

As for the Spartan-IIIs, if the game was written to match the books, there wouldn't be a problem. Halsey knew that there was another group of Spartans being made. However she thought they were the second batch of IIs, not a new generation entirely. So if Noble did meet her somewhere like they did, she would have just assumed they were part of this new group since they were still wearing MJOLNIR. I don't know for sure, but I think that was still the case in the game as it is anyway. I don't thuth she knew Noble was different.

Long story short...I prefer the book version. But the game is still my absolute favorite ever.
I don't think this "different levels of canon" business being knocked about is actually a thing. A story is either canon, or not. A retcon doesn't mean that one thing is more canon than another, it just means that the canon has been changed. Because this usually happens that the books are changed by the games, it doesn't mean the games are "more canon" than the books, it just means that enacting a retcon through the games is more sensible and viable than doing so through the books.
The games are the medium that drive the most impressions, but unless there is a retcon, the books are no less a source of truth.
You will have to continue reading the series. Fall of Reach is from a different POV than the game.
KaneXX12 wrote:
Quote:

No. The games are higher in canon level than the books. In fact, I think the only thing that can override the game's canon is Bungie or 343.
Well if that is how you see it then the book is canon Linda was on board the pillar of autumn in the book and the game in the remaster of combat evolved you can find a terminal with her status in her cryopod because she was heavaliy injured while battling over reach and they threw her into cryo sleep to save her life book is canon game is not I like the game but it’s a major sin to the canon of the halo series
I think the method Halsey used to escape Reach was a little bit over lapsed. In the game she escaped with Jun of Noble Team, but in the book she escaped with Blue Team and other Spartans that didn’t make it.
I think the method Halsey used to escape Reach was a little bit over lapsed. In the game she escaped with Jun of Noble Team, but in the book she escaped with Blue Team and other Spartans that didn’t make it.
Was it expressed that she actually left with Jun in the game? He may have dropped her off at the base and left without her - this allows the books events to go ahead.
KaneXX12 wrote:
Quote:

Hello me from 6 years ago. Hope you were having a nice day.

Well if that is how you see it then the book is canon Linda was on board the pillar of autumn in the book and the game in the remaster of combat evolved you can find a terminal with her status in her cryopod because she was heavaliy injured while battling over reach and they threw her into cryo sleep to save her life book is canon game is not I like the game but it’s a major sin to the canon of the halo series
343 has now made it clear that the books and games are of equal standing canonwise, and at any rate, Reach and TFoR can coexist without contradicting each other. Check out Halsey's journal.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2