Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo Reach vs Fall of Reach

OP TimmiBowTieOG

So I am sure this question has been asked before and if so could someone link me a thread or give me an explanation

So, Halo the Fall of Reach the book came out early on in halo's life time (before halo reach the game) and it depicts blue team on the orbital mac stations and red team defending some station on the ground (been a few years since reading the book). The unsc seemed pretty much on immediate alert once the slipspace covie ships came in sight. Mac guns firing away. So how does this line up with the game? Like im sure noble team would have been immediately routed to prep to deal with the covies as soon as they showed up. Like I'd imagine theyd be immediately routed to deal with them instead of being surprised by the covies. Like the time frame from the book seemed a lot more fast paced. Like from covie's arriving to pillar leaving. Where as the game has a lot more going on in terms of time frame.

I guess what I am asking is how do the discrepancies from book to game work? I know the old adage is "games are cannon" when it comes to halo but it has always felt like halo the fall of reach lines up with the rest of the halo games pretty well minus of course reach and reach kinda sticks out.

Thanks for any insight in advanced! I love halo lore and just recently was asked about this and it brought back old questions!
Quite a few people believe that Halo: Reach isn't completely true to the canon story line. It's very likely that Bungie may have dropped the ball on it since it was their last Halo game and ultimately their last game made exclusively for Microsoft's platforms (Xbox and PC).

Perhaps even, there may have been a change in story leads (perhaps one story lead oversaw The Fall of Reach while another oversaw Halo: Reach) and so no one may have compared notes. This is unlikely, but possible.

Considering the story coming from two different perspectives, maybe Halo: Reach might have started when Blue Team and Red Team were preparing? I'm honestly not sure, I never read The Fall of Reach.
I believe that, at one time, there was a definitive statement concerning the canon events between the books and the games, or that Fall of Reach was republished with the inconsistencies corrected to have the book more clearly follow or at least reference the events of the game.

But let's be honest, Fall of Reach, while excellent, isn't truly focused on the battle of Reach. Most of the book explores the origins of the Spartan-II program, the Battle of Sigma Octanus with the last quarter of the book actually having anything to do with the battle itself, and most of that we see from the orbital perspective (and the first encounter with the Elites, which was clearly changed afterward). Really, to me, the novel First Strike is more appropriately the battle of Reach because a large chunk of the book takes place on it and we see several major battles.

All in all, the game more accurately portrays the fall of Reach, and as much as I find the campaign to be a little on the anemic side (despite having the best art design and gameplay of the series), it's canon takes priority over the battle of Reach depicted in Fall of Reach.
I remember, someone at Bungie had stated shortly after the game had been released that we all may as well throw our copies of Fall of Reach into a fire as Halo Reach had effectively retconned the events (I'm actually shocked people weren't more outraged by the statement, knowing if 343 had dared said that, we would be getting our imaginary pitch forks and torches and what-not). This coupled with the fact that Bungie wasn't a fan of the "extended lore" (ie. books and other games like Halo Wars) made people think this was Bungie's attempt to rewrite the events of Reach.

Now fast forward, and 343 takes over, and they have been more "extended lore" friendly (ie. both portrayals co-exist with each other and are not mutually exclusive).

So to conclude, both portrayals are canon, just portraying different times. Also, the Fall of Reach 2011 edition is the definitive one to read as far as canon goes.

Halo Canon actually made a video on this, showing how both portrayals can co-exist with each other. Don't think we are allowed to link it, but a quick search on youtube can easily find it.
Well I have Read Fall of Reach before Halo 2 came out, and even then I could find some inconsistencies or contradictions with the game (and this was before The Flood). So when people complained that the Game Halo Reach didn't match the book, my response is the book didn't match the game in the first place the very source of this franchise.

So the other argument is which one has the better story. Well in order to do that and judge each by its story as isolated on its own you would have to pretend that the first game Halo: Combat Evolved simply doesn't exist. Well that is already one major challenge, so it is done, then you got the differences between the storytelling in a video game vs story telling in a video game. However there is quite a lot of similarities between the two, for one both stories can be enjoyed at the pace of the end user. Just as a person decides how long they want to take to read a book, that person can also decide how long they want to complete a campaign. The differences is mostly in visual where a book can only put in an illustration and describe with words where video games have full animations; and user agency as most books are not chose your own adventure books but rather a single narrative that is dictated by the author, where as with games many of their stories are linear and Halo is the very example of that, but the player does get to chose what action, technique or tool to use in the story where in the book it is all written out.

So the Fall of Reach might have been more appropriately titled into the Rise of the Spartans as it was more of the backstory of the main protagonist in Halo, a human male who was abducted, augmented, brought up to be a super soldier to fight his own kind and eventually become the savoir of the human race from an aggressive alien coalition then it was about the final battle. the book was designed to set up more of the universe, it brought in the near omnipotent and totalitarian ONI, the ODST which were a special operations elite within the UNSC Marine Corps, some of the early Human ship design and their rather primitive technology. and other stuff. The Fall of reach really didn't happen until the last few chapters and it mostly described in space with only a mentioning of the fighting on the ground which result in the loss of generators disabling the orbital defenses and forcing what remains of the UNSC's fleet fleeing to whatever chasm in the galaxy to hide in. The story was rather epic and it did a good job of building the entire universe in which Halo was in, which in reality is something it had to do.

So now for Halo: Reach. It was first and foremost the game and good old game debate fashion (ludology vs narratology) as a quote of one Romero the story in the game doesn't have to be good, it just has to be there. The game focus on the last days of Reach and follows a team who were descendants of the spartan II program, called Spartan IIIs. It didn't explain much of the universe as it already had few games before it. It touched the briefest of moments of the lack of trust between those living in the rural areas of Reach and between the UNSC, ONI matters taking precedence over UNSC operations, and that you are losing and are trying to evacuate and save what you can. It focuses on the space aspect as much as the Fall of Reach focused on the ground battle as in a two or three of pages or in the case of the game two or three checkpoints. It didn't go into detail on why they lost only that the covenant brought in more ships. You did see more loss of life in the game where in the books you only read about ships getting blown up so you have to assume there was casualties. But not so much the characters so to speak where in Reach nearly every character (including the one you play) comes to an end. Sorry for the spoilers but after a decade I think people have enough time to play through the game.

So the better story would go to the book because it really had to be a good story. The game had to be a good game and it was exactly that (despite what your feelings on armor abilities were). As far as canon goes, well both Halo and Halo Combat Evolved were made by Bungie who are the creators of the franchise where Eric Nylund who is one of the better authors of the novella franchise was contracted out by Bungie and Microsoft as to flesh out the universe some more.
Halo canon made a good video on youtube explaining the issues and most of the problems can be explained away.
I remember, someone at Bungie had stated shortly after the game had been released that we all may as well throw our copies of Fall of Reach into a fire as Halo Reach had effectively retconned the events (I'm actually shocked people weren't more outraged by the statement, knowing if 343 had dared said that, we would be getting our imaginary pitch forks and torches and what-not). This coupled with the fact that Bungie wasn't a fan of the "extended lore" (ie. books and other games like Halo Wars) made people think this was Bungie's attempt to rewrite the events of Reach.

Now fast forward, and 343 takes over, and they have been more "extended lore" friendly (ie. both portrayals co-exist with each other and are not mutually exclusive).

So to conclude, both portrayals are canon, just portraying different times. Also, the Fall of Reach 2011 edition is the definitive one to read as far as canon goes.

Halo Canon actually made a video on this, showing how both portrayals can co-exist with each other. Don't think we are allowed to link it, but a quick search on youtube can easily find it.
Thank you, I'll look at this. I've never been terribly bothered about this - a minor thing to me. But I have been curious about how it was resolved.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Both Halo Reach and Halo: The Fall of Reach are canon. Some people may not like it and will say otherwise, but both Bungie and 343i have stated this as such.
The only problem is that the two have things that are different so they need to be kind of forced to fit and some points, but they do fit for the most part.