Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo: Reach. What did you think?

OP SII Ryan 105

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I never really had the opportunity to ask other Halo fans like me this, what did you guys think about Halo: Reach and about Noble Six? Noble six was a brand new character that Bungie had made for you in a Halo game. What exactly did you like about Reach and Noble Six Spartan-B312?
I never really had the opportunity to ask other Halo fans like me this, what did you guys think about Halo: Reach and about Noble Six? Noble six was a brand new character that Bungie had made for you in a Halo game. What exactly did you like about Reach and Noble Six Spartan-B312?
The music. The game had a great soundtrack and has some great atmospheric moments in the mid game between when you blow up the carrier and return to sword base. It conveyed what the character, who is just a blank cypher for the player, could not; case being when he is in the drop ship staring over the wrecked city. Personally I am not a fan of this method of story telling because I CAN HAVE BOTH and don't think you should just rely on music and a graven voice to sell a character. Destiny's Guardian is the perfect case of when this doesn't work.

I thought that the game contradicted the book far too much. I didn't like that they completely skipped the HUGE space battle and didn't understand why Spartan 3's were talking to Halsey or why George was with them. These things made no sense if you read Ghosts of Onyx. The game also has a weak opening and ending. Why does the Covenant only send one carrier and wait until mid game to send its full force and where is the UNSC fleet and MAC gun array? These missions felt more like padding and a way of forcing the story to escalate. The whole "get to the chopper" with Cortana also felt tacked on and came out of nowhere. Plus only Jorge got any real characterization, the rest of them didn't and were killed off like flies.

The Covenant don't really work in this game. Halo 2 and 3 did a much better job of letting you know who you were fighting and why. They created interesting and compelling villains for you to fight. In Reach you could be shooting at any generic aliens and it would have the same result. Theres no tangible villain or conflict in the game. Its just kill these aliens for seven hours and then "get to the chopper!". Plus why don't we get a cameo from the Arbiter who led the campaign on Reach?

Too many missions are ripped straight out of combat evolved and this followed on from Halo 3 which had already ripped a load of settings and missions from combat evolved...

Basically like ODST and Halo Wars 2 it felt like a B list story.
Swan song? More like, swan DONG!!

(a la videogamedunkey)
Halo Reach failed in my eyes because it tried to execute a War Story based on events, not characters. And it failed. I don't care when anyone dies because it would be like caring about cardboard cutouts. Jorge was the only one I legitimately cared about, and that's partly because his death was executed well. The others just start dying like flies with no meaningful impact. The mission variety is somewhat bland with a few standout missions (Long Night of Solace, New Alexandria, and Lone Wolf), and really didn't merit replaying in my opinion. Also, NOBLE 6 IS THE DEADEST CHARACTER IN HALO. PERIOD. HE. IS. DEAD. He was barely anything besides a suit of poorly-maintained armor and he's dead on top of that. He ain't coming back no matter what someone says. Overall, Reach is my least favorite Halo game. I don't like its art style, its campaign is lackluster, its story is a middle finger to anyone who cared about Halo's lore, and the gameplay itself is nothing special.
I think Reach's campaign is a close second best to Halo Combat Evolved. The storytelling was great, characters interesting, and an interesting insight to how Reach, a human colony, would have fallen against the unstoppable covenant. I love that Legendary is actually fun to play when you use the correct strategies. Love the DMR. Hate Hunters.
It should have never existed. They -Yoinked!- up a lot of -Yoink- with that game
Halo Reach failed in my eyes because it tried to execute a War Story based on events, not characters. And it failed. I don't care when anyone dies because it would be like caring about cardboard cutouts. Jorge was the only one I legitimately cared about, and that's partly because his death was executed well. The others just start dying like flies with no meaningful impact. The mission variety is somewhat bland with a few standout missions (Long Night of Solace, New Alexandria, and Lone Wolf), and really didn't merit replaying in my opinion. Also, NOBLE 6 IS THE DEADEST CHARACTER IN HALO. PERIOD. HE. IS. DEAD. He was barely anything besides a suit of poorly-maintained armor and he's dead on top of that. He ain't coming back no matter what someone says. Overall, Reach is my least favorite Halo game. I don't like its art style, its campaign is lackluster, its story is a middle finger to anyone who cared about Halo's lore, and the gameplay itself is nothing special.
This sums up how I feel about Halo Reach fairly well. Only thing I actually liked about Reach was the customization possible with Firefight.
This sums up how I feel about Halo Reach fairly well. Only thing I actually liked about Reach was the customization possible with Firefight.
Yeah, Versus Firefight is still one of my favorite things. Everyone just wants to play Arcadefight, though.
Things I liked: the fresh visual style, how it conveyed emotion and mood with beautiful scenes with awesome music , how it had some interesting levels.

I disliked how it cared little how previous canon described the event, the story and characters were uninteresting. Though some levels were interesting I don't think any of them are my favorites if you compare them to all campaign levels in halo games.

I really liked the multiplayer at the time but now that I've played it couple times with MC collection I'm not sure if it were that great. In the end I have very mixed feelings when it comes to Halo Reach.

Oh and the customizable firefight was great!
To keep it short - Halo Reach is by far my favourite Halo Game. Graphics, music (!), mission concept, CHARACTERS. I'm proud owner of the Legendary Edition, diorama is so friggin awesome!
I quite enjoyed Reach. From a multiplayer perspective, it had tons of fun things to do. Its the new mechanics introduced that caused a mirad of issues - broken map flow, uneven starts, broken player engagement with armor abilities, etc, etc. Yes, I found ways to enjoy them, but they made more problems than necessary. I thought custom games and Forge were absolutely amazing. Bungie did such a great job with those areas.
The campaign was fun, sure, but so absolutely lackluster. I think its the worse in the series, just a little worse than Halo 5. It saddens me how Joe Staten took an awesome story, The Fall of Reach, and tore it apart to give us Reach, if he was the writer still. Noble Six was cool, but just a cookie cutter character with no emotion and no way for us players to invest emotionally into. Each of Noble Team's deaths felt forced. I felt many of their cutscenes were boring, as were cutscenes throughout the game. However, Marty's score is so good. Atmospheric, epic, dramatic. Lastly, Reach's menu...amazing. Beautifully built. Love the animated menus.
While I enjoy the game overall, it has so many issues that puts its campaign and multiplayer at the bottom of my list of favorable Halo titles.
Armor abilities and load outs were the worst things to happen to THE halo universe. Period. Why didn't we get the epic Reach Space battle we deserved????? Seriously. Just copy and past the frikkin book. One of the best space battles descriptions in a book I've ever read
I think Halo: Reach was one of the better campaigns of the Halo franchise and it certainly doesn't get the credit it is due. Noble Six was cool but mostly because he is our Spartan (which is a feature I hope is Incorporated into future Halo games). Lone Wolf was also better than the Warthog runs in Halo: CE and Halo 3 and is still one of my favorite endings in the franchise. The levels are fun to play and the characters are interesting. It did a lot of things right.

The multiplayer, was okay at best and just sucked at worst. I have really no desire to play the multiplayer again.
As someone alluded too earlier, it failed at its principle objective, which is a war story. And in a successful war story, you need characters that you can relate too, so that their inevitable death feels impactful. With Halo Reach, not only did these characters not live up to their portential, but I also played it wondering what was going on given how thoroughly it contradicts the book. As a swan song for Bungie's work with Halo, it's kind of insulting, and would unfortunately reflect their downward trend in Destiny.

It's also my least favorite soundtrack and my least favorite multiplayer. The only thing I think it did well was the AI for the Elites, the Covenant felt threatening to fight.
To be frank, it sucked. Reach had some interesting ideas on paper, but it ultimately failed to deliver. The campaign introduced us to Noble Team, but then split us up so we never got to spend a lot of time with them. They said we'd leave the Lone Wolf stuff behind and then spent most of the time alone. When we were with a member of Noble, they were handicapped by their own stupid AI. Kat likes to steal my Warthog when I get out to push a button, (because she won't do it), and then proceeds to crash into stuff or even drive off a cliff. Jun is the "expert" Sniper who couldn't hit an enemy standing right in front of him, and yet has actually shot and killed ME while I was in the middle of assassinating an enemy. Then of course there is Emile who tries to play sniper with a shot gun. Don't forget Marines who would rather shoot Grunts fleeing in terror instead of the Revenants hurling plasma at them.

Terrible AI wouldn't be so bad if the game actually developed their characters in the cutscenes, but they don't. The game lacks long cutscenes that have any real meaning. Instead it just jumps from one mission to the next with no exposition other than "the Covenant is here go kill them". Some would say this was to create a sense of urgency, but I have to disagree. Multiple days could pass between missions and we wouldn't be told what happened on those days. Even if nothing particularly exciting happened on those days, a cutscene showing UNSC or ONI commanders discussing the severity lf the situatilon would have been nice. For example I really like the scenes in Halo 3 when officials from the UNSC and Swords of Sanghelios discuss their next move after Truth activated the Portal. It didn't just dump us in another mission with no exposition.

As for multiplayer? Two words: Armor Lock. By far the worst addition to a video game ever. The bloom was terrible as well and I can't count how many times someone shot me THROUGH a wall. Some of it was OK though, like assassinations and sprint.

In conclusion Reach missed the mark and sits at the bottlm of my favorite Halo list.
Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text.

Uno de los mejores juegos
I personally loved halo reach. Going back and being your own sparten. I loved how I knew what was going to happen next and watching it unfold as the planet fell around them.
Even if nothing particularly exciting happened on those days, a cutscene showing UNSC or ONI commanders discussing the severity lf the situatilon would have been nice. For example I really like the scenes in Halo 3 when officials from the UNSC and Swords of Sanghelios discuss their next move after Truth activated the Portal. It didn't just dump us in another mission with no exposition.

This was one of the things I give Halo 5 credit for, despite its narrative problems, its presentation was stellar, showing us what is happening on the Infinity, a meeting between The Arbiter and Locke, etc. And those downtime "missions" were a nice touch in my opinion, a way to interact with the Halo universe we just haven't had before. After those missions I really wanted a Halo RPG.

It established a larger world, that there were things going on with real people involved, with context. But Reach was basically an empty, soulless game that provided no humanity nor agency to the player. Go here, kill this, don't ask questions (what is that Forerunner ship? Who knows?). And while yes obviously the Covenant were the villains, I felt no real urgency in the game because 1) I know how it ends and 2) we never get a moment where the Covenant are presented as genuine monsters. Its an M rated game. Show the slaughter, show civilians being gunned down in the streets, make it visceral, don't relegate the big "tragedy" moment to an impersonal carrier ship that gets shot down while we fly overhead. If we can't see the faces of the victims, we are set apart from the tragedy, and it feels like all of the impetus for emotional investment is happening somewhere else.
Honestly, I loved Reach. It was my first online Halo game.
I thoroughly enjoyed Reach. Noble 6 wasn't too memorable to me, but I liked the idea of Noble Team, and Jorge was awesome.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3