Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo: Reach. What did you think?

OP SII Ryan 105

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I loved Reach, it's my second-favourite Halo game and my third favourite game of all time. I played it consistently from 2010 to 2016 when I got my Xbone and Halo 5. I played a lot of Halo 4 as well, but my go-to game was Reach.

Campaign:

Poor start, story only really existed in the last three missions. The tone and setting was immaculate, it felt colossal in scale. In Halos CE-3 it didn't feel entirely 'serious', it was more of a fantasy story. Which I do understand the gravity of, but thematically Reach nailed that "we're doomed but all we can do is fight until we're all gone" vibe.

First on-screen appearance of Halsey did not disappoint. Loved her character in Reach.

The campaign was a lot of fun to play, although again, the story was non-existent for three quarters of it. And even then, the story neglected The Fall of Reach, which told of the greatest battle in history. If the campaign played exactly the same but had the backdrop of TFoR for the story, it'd get an A+ in my books.

Multiplayer:

I enjoyed it. I knew it was not as good as other titles, but I didn't care because I was very good at it xD

Firefight:

Excellent addition to the franchise. 12/10

Customisation:

Well, there's a reason that it's hailed as the best in the series.
I'm loving this feedback
I loved the music, and especially the way you knew the end before the beginning. Gameplay wise I really liked the ability to customize every aspect of your armor as it allowed the shell to more accurately reflect what was in it. Namely me, you, and anyone else who played. Some of the dialogue felt clunky, mostly Kat and Jorge, Kat in the tech jargon and general curmudgeonly attitude towards everything; Jorge in the cutscene with the survivor after her dad had been killed. If he's going to say the same thing in English so we understand it, and she speaks English, drop the pretense of bonding between the two characters and just do the scene in one language. If it's the other, subtitle it and move on.

I also liked the squad, or team, setup in the game though the AI could have definitely been better. I'm still waiting for 343i to make squad mechanics on par with Republic Commando from the SW franchise. I'd like the ability to tell Buck to pick up a weapon, or Tanaka to drive a specific vehicle, rather than send one command to the whole squad and having the AI decide who's up next in the rotation. It would also be awesome to send one member to one side of the map, another to the other, and have the remainder join me going up the middle while the other two provide overwatch and we flush the enemy out of cover for sniper kills.

I liked the landscapes and some of the mission plans, but hated the blurry or grainy aspect of the visuals.

Then there's the differences between the game and the novel.

All in all if you take it just as a game, outside of canon, it was enjoyable and memorable with only minor detractors. I'd give it a 6/10.
Sunsdune wrote:
Furinkaze wrote:
Sunsdune wrote:
The Fail Of Reach , as I call it , introduced multiple questionable mechanics , conscripted one of the best Halo stories written up to that point and then proceeded to dump all over it , derailed development of the franchise for the foreseeable future , and decimated the Halo community numbers.
Halo Reach sold very well on the promise of Halo 3 ; then proceeded to bleed the player base dry , by not having certain playlists and fixes until way to late in its' life cycle. Honestly , this has been my sons favorite game for the last three years (he is currently 13) , which tells me the targeted demographic of this game. (no offense to any one who enjoys it , I am not saying only kids can enjoy it , only that it was built with younger players in mind).
Not sure if troll or...
Not trolling. These are my personal opinions and feelings.
It is a fact that players left en-mass after three or four months of launch , with many on the forums citing failure to fix problems , loadouts , armor abilities , and lack of core playlists as reasons for leaving. Fact , that ever since Reach , Halo has been on the decline as far as sales go of main story games (excluding Halo 4 , likely hoping for a return to form as reason for high sale numbers , but still quickly lost population). And it is a fact that my son loves this damn game. He plays Reach whenever he chooses to play Halo , despite having TMCC and Halo 5 as options.
I've never really cared about multiplayer. Halo games are best when in comes to story, characters and overall universe. Reach was pinnacle of it.
Furinkaze wrote:
Sunsdune wrote:
Furinkaze wrote:
Sunsdune wrote:
The Fail Of Reach , as I call it , introduced multiple questionable mechanics , conscripted one of the best Halo stories written up to that point and then proceeded to dump all over it , derailed development of the franchise for the foreseeable future , and decimated the Halo community numbers.
Halo Reach sold very well on the promise of Halo 3 ; then proceeded to bleed the player base dry , by not having certain playlists and fixes until way to late in its' life cycle. Honestly , this has been my sons favorite game for the last three years (he is currently 13) , which tells me the targeted demographic of this game. (no offense to any one who enjoys it , I am not saying only kids can enjoy it , only that it was built with younger players in mind).
Not sure if troll or...
Not trolling. These are my personal opinions and feelings.
It is a fact that players left en-mass after three or four months of launch , with many on the forums citing failure to fix problems , loadouts , armor abilities , and lack of core playlists as reasons for leaving. Fact , that ever since Reach , Halo has been on the decline as far as sales go of main story games (excluding Halo 4 , likely hoping for a return to form as reason for high sale numbers , but still quickly lost population). And it is a fact that my son loves this damn game. He plays Reach whenever he chooses to play Halo , despite having TMCC and Halo 5 as options.
I've never really cared about multiplayer. Halo games are best when in comes to story, characters and overall universe. Reach was pinnacle of it.
I'm going to disagree when you say that Reach was the pinnacle of Halo's storytelling. It overlooks several aspects of the Halo universe's established technology and lore (the Solace should not have been able to sneak past UNSC defenses like that, the Battle of Reach should have only taken about a day, etc.) the characters felt like cardboard cutouts (to me, at least), and there's just missed opportunities everywhere.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3