Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo slang list???

OP SPARTANtech01

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ok guys, I'm new here, and i wanted to ask if any of you know of a complete list of (or could make a mostly complete one) the UNSC Military terms used, to sound like i was in the UNSC Military, in talk, text and, on comms? I've checked online, and found a small page or 2 on the halo wikia site, and one had 30 terms, while another had 40, mostly unrelated to being in character. that one had terms like ban, among other console related terms in the list as well. Neither of those had the content specifically, that i was looking for, or so it felt. im looking for a set of terms so complete i could write a HALO novel, although I'll likely never make one.

Also, I have a copy of the ODST HellJumper chant, but i would like to know if there is an official, or unofficial, SPARTAN Chant?
I don't have a full list for you, but as far as a Spartan chant, I would go with: "Olly Olly Oxen Free, All out in the free, We're all free". It's used pretty frequently by Spartan-IIs for a variety of reasons, from signalling a completed mission to sending out a distress signal. It is a pretty tightly held secret by those who know what it means though.

I hope you do write a book though! What is the premise/plot, if you don't mind divulging?
I'd find this really interesting as well! Hope someone with more knowledge than myself responds!
“Split lip” and “hinge head” are two of my favorites. Sorry I don’t have a list, but these two can set you on the path to perfecting your trash talk!
Buggers for drones, big sticks for ODPs or Punic super carriers, imps the covenant slang for ODST troops
"Alpha Bravo" - Alien -Yoink-.
apes or gators, from headhunters
After some thinking, I got a couple for you:
  • Sangheili: elites, hinge-heads, split lips
  • Jiralhanae: brutes, apes
  • Unggoy: grunts
  • Kig-Yar: jackals, chickens
  • Yanme'e: drones, buggers
  • San Shayuum: prophets
  • Humans: nishum (Sangheili term for intestinal parasite), reclaimers
  • Flood: shaping sickness, parasite
  • Aliens in general: Alpha Bravo
  • Charlie Foxtrot: Cluster-YOINK!
  • Spartan: demon
  • Halo: holy ring, hula hoop, super weapon
  • Ventral Plasma Beam: cleansing flame, glassing beam
You can look up general military terms as well for most of the UNSC slang as well
You can look up general military terms as well for most of the UNSC slang as well
I can add for the San'Shayuum: 343 Guilty Spark calls Truth a "Meddler", however he says the same to The Arbiter when he asks why Thel is using the wrong terms in Halo 2.
You guys are completely forgetting Shisno!
tuhin94 wrote:
“Split lip” and “hinge head” are two of my favorites. Sorry I don’t have a list, but these two can set you on the path to perfecting your trash talk!
I've also heard "squids" or "squid-head SOBs" for the elites. All good trash talk imo
I can't remember where i heard it but: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot has always been my favorite term. I now use it anytime i get the chance in multiplayer. I also got a shirt from Gruntstyle that says the phrase.
elite is a sangheili, ooh ra lets go and echo tango is elite and nades is grenades
Hmm... a good start so far... as i said in my OP im not a book writer by trade, and am mainly looking to eventually perfect a helljumpers theme song similar to 'helljumpers fired up' song on youtube. that song is nice, but i just dont like the cut and paste feel to it.

im only using audacity, so it won't be spectacular, and I have yet to figure out a good Duckworth chant effect. a choral effect works, but my voice just won't cut it, to be a chorus of responding voices. It will end up being soldiers marching double time, with battle comms, asking for help and whatnot, over that, with a couple choruses of the chant, and smaller pockets of battle comms, at various points throughout, on top of everything else. kinda stupid sounding i know, but if i can get it sounding good enough, who knows. thats what it looks like so far anyway, on my drawing board. The attempts I've made so far... they suck, just sayin...
Hell's waiting room- the ship bourne drop bay for ODSTs
Thanks for the list of stuff. I'm also writing a Halo story as well, and am getting close to the Covenant heavy section. : )
Ravenpaw14 wrote:
Thanks for the list of stuff. I'm also writing a Halo story as well, and am getting close to the Covenant heavy section. : )
I wish you luck on your story. And send us a link when you are done. I love seeing community creations. 👍
Ravenpaw14 wrote:
I wish you luck on your story. And send us a link when you are done. I love seeing community creations. 👍
No problem! I also would love to see this when you are done. Same goes for OP
Ravenpaw14 wrote:
You know, I'll send you the first two chapters. Those are up. I just haven't gotten to the Covenant section yet. I hope you enjoy it.
Chapter 1: https://www.deviantart.com/noctis-corvus/art/Halo-Chronicles-Cer-Catrova-778859617
Chapter 2: https://www.deviantart.com/noctis-corvus/art/Halo-Chronicles-2-Myths-Even-Among-Legends-778859863
Ravenpaw14 wrote:
No problem! I also would love to see this when you are done. Same goes for OP
I'll send you the first two chapters. Those are up. I just haven't gotten to the Covenant section yet. I hope you both enjoy it!
Chapter 1: https://www.deviantart.com/noctis-corvus/art/Halo-Chronicles-Cer-Catrova-778859617
Chapter 2: https://www.deviantart.com/noctis-corvus/art/Halo-Chronicles-2-Myths-Even-Among-Legends-778859863
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2