Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo TV series to be canon?

OP Shawn4Japan

Looking at the diverse cast, really like how they included the Indian actress for Parangosky, will this solidify her as a character? Along with everyone else and potentially the story to be told.
What do you mean by "solidify her as a character"? I don't think 343i has confirmed whether the show will be in the same timeline as the games and EU or if it'll be an adaption with its own timeline, but IMO the latter is more likely for creative freedom of the writers
What do you mean by "solidify her as a character"? I don't think 343i has confirmed whether the show will be in the same timeline as the games and EU or if it'll be an adaption with its own timeline, but IMO the latter is more likely for creative freedom of the writers
Locke's actor in Nightfall solidified the characters appearance* We now know Locke as black, male, tall, etc. That's what I really mean. The diversity is interesting. I like when content is the same across the franchise but I guess it would be cool if its a different timeline.
I would prefer it to be canon, there's enough expansive lore and material to be used to create an interesting storyline that has plenty of freshness about it. It depends how good the writers are. I do enjoy having something that ties back in with the game and books, otherwise you end up with what's happened to Star Wars where you have lore that isn't lore but could be lore if this lore was lore.. etc. My personal opinion on it is to keep it tied in with what we already have so there's no confusion. Nevertheless, I'm genuinely excited to see what they make of this show!
I
UK1V wrote:
I'm genuinely excited to see what they make of this show!
I'm curious to see what they make of the show, but as it is, I don't think setting it during the Insurrection will make it stand out as unique. As far as I can tell, it'll be a generic military sci-fi story without any of the more alluring Halo-unique elements.
I
UK1V wrote:
I'm curious to see what they make of the show, but as it is, I don't think setting it during the Insurrection will make it stand out as unique. As far as I can tell, it'll be a generic military sci-fi story without any of the more alluring Halo-unique elements.
It's confirmed to be set during the Covenant War. But insurrectionists seem to be involved
I
UK1V wrote:
It's confirmed to be set during the Covenant War. But insurrectionists seem to be involved
That's a bit better. Could've sworn I read it would be set even before that, though.
I
UK1V wrote:
Makes for a more affordable storyboard if they invest more into the insurrectionist, less GFX and all of that when everyone's human. A little scared this is going to be close to a Stargate, or other sci-fi story still.
I
UK1V wrote:
I can see your point, it would be really interesting to see if they play on ONI's darker side on the fight with the Insurrectionists. Perhaps see a way that Halsey doesn't cop the full brunt of the blame for the Spartan II Program. That I think would be a good way of freshening up the plot for the current timeline where Catherine is copping the full brunt of the UNSC.
I guess for now as well the Halo shows budget may not be large enough to deal with the full Halo Universe such as the Covenant, Banished, and Flood. The Insurrectionists side of things would be really cool I think though, how amazing would it be to see a young Avery Johnson in action too! If all goes well the show could hopefully get a budget increase!

[EDIT]Disregard what I'm saying, it's set during the Human-Covenant War. Guess they do have the budget! Excited even more now!
We should hope this is the best thing to hit Showtime and it does have a budget increase for telling other stories. Could be very big.
We should hope this is the best thing to hit Showtime and it does have a budget increase for telling other stories. Could be very big.
The direction TV is headed for is in general very good. Game of Thrones set a precedent for scifi and fantasy, and now every single network is in an arm race to develop huge fantasy and sci do stories. Amazon has The Expanse and soon LOTR and Wheel of Time, Netflix has The Witcher, Dark Crystal and soon Narnia. HBO is doing the GoT prequel and also His Dark Materials. Disney is doing The Mandalorian and all those Marvel shows. It's an embarrassment of riches, to be honest. If Halo is Showtime's answer to this arms race, and it certainly appears to be, then we're in for treat.
The direction TV is headed for is in general very good. Game of Thrones set a precedent for scifi and fantasy, and now every single network is in an arm race to develop huge fantasy and sci do stories. Amazon has The Expanse and soon LOTR and Wheel of Time, Netflix has The Witcher, Dark Crystal and soon Narnia. HBO is doing the GoT prequel and also His Dark Materials. Disney is doing The Mandalorian and all those Marvel shows. It's an embarrassment of riches, to be honest. If Halo is Showtime's answer to this arms race, and it certainly appears to be, then we're in for treat.
Putting it in that perspective makes me excited. Didn't think about the competition making this post but you're definitely right.