Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo TV Show Casts Jacob/Miranda Keyes +More

OP ManiacalSpark

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/08/showtimes-halo-tv-series-casts-jacob-and-miranda-keyes?amp=1

So they've cast the actors for Captain Keyes, Miranda Keyes, and a new character in the franchise called 'Makee'.

Apparently in the show, Jacob will have a 'tense' relationship with Miranda, who is now a scientist? And 'Makee' is a human raised by the Covenant to hate her own species? Not to mention that the actors for Captain Keyes and Commander Keyes look nothing like their characters or like each other. I'm all for inclusion and diversity in media, but you can't drastically change what their appearances look like simply for the sake of it.

This really makes me worried about if the show is going to be held to Canon in any respect, because this shows they have no utter idea what they're doing. Miranda was never a scientist and had a GOOD relationship with her father. It was her mother, Dr. Halsey, that was The scientist (and she and Keyes never married) and was the one who Miranda had essentially a non-relationship with.

Let's not forget the hamfisted character that will serve as the villain only to cut down on CGI costs, this 'Makee'. This wouldn't have happened at all, humans were instant kill beyond a means to activate Forerunner tech to the Covenant.

The amount of bad writing and disregard for the lore even at this point is extremely alarming, and I hope that it isn't held to canon at all and is just doing its own thing. The only other excuse for something being so drastically off-center of itself would be inept reporting. There's no reason for these mistakes. Meanwhile even Nightfall, terrible as it was, still managed to be faithful to the lore.

So is anyone else worried about the show and how it will fit into canon, if it intends to be made canon?
You know... I'm all for diversity, but captain Keyes is as white as they come. Hell I was okay with dansel playing chief way back then because he was just a suit of armor. Writing aside this is all wrong. I think the story with the scienctis miranda is the least of our worries. Whatever isn't established lore could be portrayed as plausible as far as I'm concerned, but they blatantly did this for diversity and I can't stand it when companies do this.
https://www.halopedia.org/Mahkee_%27Chava

Mahkee IS a Sangheili.

Mahkee IS a Sangheili.
Now its going to have to be changed to a Human raised by Sangheili should 343i come out and say or accept the TV Show as CANON even though it already goes against pre-established lore. I am looking forward to the mess the TV Show is looking to be right now.

Mahkee IS a Sangheili.
If you had read the article, you'd see that they state that it's a different character, not the character that appears in Halo 5.

Quote:
Showtime has also announced that Charlie Murphy (Peaky Blinders) will play a character named Makee. Makee is an orphaned human raised by the Covenant to hate her own people. According to Showtime, Makee is a different character from the games' Mahkee, who debuted in Halo 5: Guardians and is the first female Sangheili character in the series.
As I said in True Redemption's post, I will defend Halo 5's campaign to the death, and even I admit this is going too far. 343, please, wake up and put a stop to this. Even if it's not canon its still ******* ridiculous. Did whoever write this even know anything about Halo going in? What a way to ruin my night.
I've said it for years, 343i just has no idea WHAT they're doing with the franchise. They never have. Allowing this to happen, and it will most assuredly be a train wreck, is just more proof of that. God help us if this thing is going to be considered canon. I just don't see why they couldn't have just gotten the same people that made Forward Unto Dawn to do this, the movie/series was pretty high quality and overall very decent and respectful to the franchise.

This Showtimes series clearly is not. I'd rather see nothing at all than what they're making.

Also there's no reason for there to be two threads on this. I was ten minutes ahead of True Redemption's thread, so the mods need to merge it into this one.
Probably costs related. I imagine Showtime are the ones who have the most financial stake in the show, meaning Microsoft doesn't have to put up with the large budget for a live action TV show. This means they also have more of a say in things.
Still, you don't just hand over the rights to the flagship franchise without making sure that whoever is going to be running things without a guy going "Absolutely not, it isn't correct and you need to fix it".
I've said it for years, 343i just has no idea WHAT they're doing with the franchise. They never have. Allowing this to happen, and it will most assuredly be a train wreck, is just more proof of that. God help us if this thing is going to be considered canon. I just don't see why they couldn't have just gotten the same people that made Forward Unto Dawn to do this, the movie/series was pretty high quality and overall very decent and respectful to the franchise.

This Showtimes series clearly is not. I'd rather see nothing at all than what they're making.

Also there's no reason for there to be two threads on this. I was ten minutes ahead of True Redemption's thread, so the mods need to merge it into this one.
Tbh, I think that if 343i is letting Showtime go this far off the established lore then they were probably never going to consider it canon. 343i has been making a point of bringing the extended universe into the mainline Halo games and if they allow this to taint the Halo lore then that means they'll need to rewrite A LOT of the decade-old lore that this franchise has. The fans won't like that one bit so I doubt they're going to regard this as canon.

Imagine it like TWD. The comics are different from the show and the show does it's own thing while the comics do their's.
Yet which, in regards to TWD, at this point, makes more money and is what people think of first?

They'll probably push out some PR nonsense about being 'diverse and inclusive' to smooth out any outcry over the casting and say that it is canon. This is a major expense on a major platform, so they'll want it to be canon. Or at worst, they'll say something smarmy about 'eye witness accounts and the ONI records regarding Jacob and Miranda Keyes are suspect and cannot be confirmed as accurate' using one of their in-universe forum accounts when it comes time to use one again.

I just really question WHERE and WHY were all these DRASTIC changes to the core history of the characters made without someone from 343i's writing department simply saying 'no this is incorrect'. It just boggles the mind at how incompetent this is.
Yet which, in regards to TWD, at this point, makes more money and is what people think of first?

They'll probably push out some PR nonsense about being 'diverse and inclusive' to smooth out any outcry over the casting and say that it is canon. This is a major expense on a major platform, so they'll want it to be canon. Or at worst, they'll say something smarmy about 'eye witness accounts and the ONI records regarding Jacob and Miranda Keyes are suspect and cannot be confirmed as accurate' using one of their in-universe forum accounts when it comes time to use one again.

I just really question WHERE and WHY were all these DRASTIC changes to the core history of the characters made without someone from 343i's writing department simply saying 'no this is incorrect'. It just boggles the mind at how incompetent this is.
I agree. Prior to seeing this thread all I knew was that they were race-swapping some characters. After reading how badly they're botching the lore I'm really hoping this is disregarded as a bad television adaptation.

God, please let me be right.
I never trusted this project, and more knowing the politically correct past of Showtime.

This time it is not the fault of 343, this would be the fault of the director or the producers of the series and Microsoft for letting them do whatever they want.

This time it is not the fault of 343, this would be the fault of the director or the producers of the series and Microsoft for letting them do whatever they want.
They're still at fault for not having someone with authority there to be able to fact check the show when it starts making these huge lore mistakes. Reading the other thread (which needs to be folded into this one) about who they hired as a writer, it's clear that, on top of everything else, they're more interested in ticking off boxes and getting the show as cheap as they can, rather than having any interest in being faithful to the lore.
I guess they'll be making Sgt. Johnson, white at the rate this is going. I dont think this show is gonna resonate with fans as much now.

Fans wont be seeing the Captain Keyes they saved from the Truth and Reconciliation. Or the Miranda Keyes that they fought with on Delta Halo. Fans will just see the complete disregard of lore established 18 years ago.
I mean really they just should have made new characters instead of mutilating ones that are pretty beloved in the lore. What really gets me is how they've twisted Miranda Keyes so much. Like she's the polar opposite of her ENTIRE CHARACTER.

Miranda wasn't a scientist, she ALWAYS followed in her father's footsteps and as soon as it was pretty much feasible, she left Halsey to live with Captain Keyes and his familyand CHANGED HER NAME. She HAS no relationship with her mother, her mother didn't even care or love her enough to attend her commission ceremony, where it was pretty obvious Miranda was trying to reach out to her. Halsey ALWAYS loved her research, her Spartans more than Miranda. Miranda was little more than a mistake to Dr. Halsey from the result of being stressed out and meeting up with Keyes at a random conference.

The most Catherine Halsey ever did for her daughter was try to tuck her away on a survey ship away from the frontlines (which ultimately led to Miranda's destiny).

Miranda was ALWAYS close to her father and followed in his footsteps, sharing the SAME general personality traits as Captain Keyes. Captain Keyes LOVED his daughter, she was the last thing he thought about before he was entirely consumed by the Flood on Alpha Halo. There's absolutely NO BASIS for the two of them having a 'tense relationship'.

The cheap clown they got to write this show has absolutely no understanding of these characters and it is entirely on 343i and Microsoft for not insisting on having someone there to check his clearly terrible work.
This is what happens when you select people you like and tell 'em to go nuts. it's difficult to allow creative freedom AND make sure they stick to established canon, but they should have been regulated further.

Raised by Covenant. Ugh.

Mahkee IS a Sangheili.
Im sorry bro they said this makee is not mahkee from h5 i iust saw this so said and disturbing.
I mean really they just should have made new characters instead of mutilating ones that are pretty beloved in the lore. What really gets me is how they've twisted Miranda Keyes so much. Like she's the polar opposite of her ENTIRE CHARACTER.

Miranda wasn't a scientist, she ALWAYS followed in her father's footsteps and as soon as it was pretty much feasible, she left Halsey to live with Captain Keyes and his familyand CHANGED HER NAME. She HAS no relationship with her mother, her mother didn't even care or love her enough to attend her commission ceremony, where it was pretty obvious Miranda was trying to reach out to her. Halsey ALWAYS loved her research, her Spartans more than Miranda. Miranda was little more than a mistake to Dr. Halsey from the result of being stressed out and meeting up with Keyes at a random conference.

The most Catherine Halsey ever did for her daughter was try to tuck her away on a survey ship away from the frontlines (which ultimately led to Miranda's destiny).

Miranda was ALWAYS close to her father and followed in his footsteps, sharing the SAME general personality traits as Captain Keyes. Captain Keyes LOVED his daughter, she was the last thing he thought about before he was entirely consumed by the Flood on Alpha Halo. There's absolutely NO BASIS for the two of them having a 'tense relationship'.

The cheap clown they got to write this show has absolutely no understanding of these characters and it is entirely on 343i and Microsoft for not insisting on having someone there to check his clearly terrible work.
She worked on a science vessel before the in amber clad...studying the covenant. Source: Halsey journal

Pretty sure UNSC captains have to be smart in science and stuff to calculate physics of the starship and all that stuff.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2