Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo TV show Lore Changes

OP Specter Lives

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There has been a lot of talk about the potential changes made to Halo Lore and Story related to the upcoming TV series. Changes ranging from Dates, Locations, and even character changes. Now on the surface - being a big lore fan - I was taken back by this but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Here are my thoughts.

Any adaptation from one medium to another inevitably involves changes both big and small. Take Lord of the Rings - the Movies were great but still contained a lot of changes from the original source material. Changes were made to events, characters, and locations. However, these changes did not effect the larger narrative. Frodo still made it to Mt Doom and the ring still managed to get tossed in. Now some of those changes were necessary due to limitations of filming the movie and not being able to do a 100% 1 to 1 recreation and honestly a 1 to 1 would not have been a fun movie to watch.

I am also a big fan of 'the Expanse' - thank you Amazon. I am reading the books after watching the show and again. Lots of changes. Done so, however, due to limitations of translating a book to film. You cannot capture every detail from the story and translate it to film and make it have the same impact. That still doesn't take anything away from the books or the TV series because they are both great. More so the overall story arc remained the same. The TV show was true to the overall narrative of the story despite the changes made and it still turned out great.

Now when it comes to the Halo TV series, changes made are inevitable and honestly necessary to make it a good story and show. However, those changes don't have to change the overall narrative of Halo. IMHO, so long as they don't mess with the larger narrative of Halo - the Flood, Forerunners, the Human Covenant war - I am okay with the smaller changes. For some, any small change is heretical but they (343i) cannot limit themselves because of this.

The biggest factors that are going to play into whether the changes made will be detrimental or not are as follows...
- Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How
- Who are the characters - 2 known so far, What is going on - what is the story, When in the Halo timeline this takes place, Where does it take place, Why are these events happening, and How will it all play into the larger Halo Narrative.

On Twitter, the guy from Halo Canon made a great point - If this show doesn't play into the larger Halo narrative then - from a Lore lovers perspective - it's pointless, just white noise, fan fiction with a larger appeal. So my biggest concern is how this show is going to play into the larger Halo narrative and not so much the small changes they may have to make.

I know was long but if you made it this far what are your thoughts.

PS - Here is an interesting interview with Kiki W. talking about the TV series and changes being made - LINK!
I’d understand if a specific book or game or comic was being adapted into a different form, but from what I understand the TV series will tell it’s own unique story. Changing dates, locations, etc means that whatever this story is, it can’t fit into the mainline narrative and won’t be canon, making it kind of useless to lore fans.

Unless they plan on complete retcons, the show needs to fit in to established canon, otherwise current fans will be less invested in what’s essentially an alternate universe and potential new fans might be put off buying the books or games when they contradict what they’ve seen in the show.
I’d understand if a specific book or game or comic was being adapted into a different form, but from what I understand the TV series will tell it’s own unique story. Changing dates, locations, etc means that whatever this story is, it can’t fit into the mainline narrative and won’t be canon, making it kind of useless to lore fans.

Unless they plan on complete retcons, the show needs to fit in to established canon, otherwise current fans will be less invested in what’s essentially an alternate universe and potential new fans might be put off buying the books or games when they contradict what they’ve seen in the show.
I agree with what you are saying but there is still a lot we don't know and my optimism for this project is tempered based on what we don't know rather than what we do. Regardless, from what I've read/seen from people within 343 themselves I highly doubt this is going the way of Star Trek ala Kelvin timeline or Discovery. My biggest concern is not small event or character changes but something that completely changes the overall Narrative. Now, what is going to be key of all of this entirety rests again on the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I get that a new story that makes changes to established lore can be very problematic, however, I really doubt that 343 would write a new story that completely changes the entire universe or completely re-writes character arcs or erases either entirely. So despite having reservations about this TV series lore wise, I am optimistic that 343 will handle it well enough.

I agree with what you are saying but there is still a lot we don't know and my optimism for this project is tempered based on what we don't know rather than what we do. Regardless, from what I've read/seen from people within 343 themselves I highly doubt this is going the way of Star Trek ala Kelvin timeline or Discovery. My biggest concern is not small event or character changes but something that completely changes the overall Narrative. Now, what is going to be key of all of this entirety rests again on the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I get that a new story that makes changes to established lore can be very problematic, however, I really doubt that 343 would write a new story that completely changes the entire universe or completely re-writes character arcs or erases either entirely. So despite having reservations about this TV series lore wise, I am optimistic that 343 will handle it well enough.
Kiki's comments about changing details have been taken completely out of context. I highly highly doubt the TV series will have any major impact on existing lore - even to the extent of Reach vs TFOR.

At most I can see minor details (actors not being the same race as existing characters have previously been described, perhaps further details about events which have previously not been secure within the canon etc.)

Frankie would never let them tear the canon apart. It's a big universe: plenty of time and space for new stories
The kinds of changes they've admitted to making AREN'T "necessary" to make a good story- least of all changes to the ethnicities of characters. Writing a good story does not require the use of specific characters, the changing of dates, or any of what they've said they've done.

It is painfully, irretrievably possible to write a good story with a squad of non-established ODSTs as characters, on an unknown planet, at an unknown date. There's more than enough room in the mythos to write that kind of story. Any changes they make to previously-established facts are changes that they are going out of their own way to enact.

This kind of attitude is indicative of careless, detached, and asleep-at-the-wheel writers, who don't truly possess any innate respect or adoration for the mythos that they are so carelessly, hamfistedly twisting to suit their own agenda.
Dates, Characters and Locations I can learn to accept but creating a separate branch of Canon is just a lazy and self destructive writing process not just for the TV series but for every other visual Halo media on the screen in the future.

If 343 believe they can only make a good story with a certain group of characters or locations then they have completely missed the point of the Expanded universe they have spent years creating since they took over.

If the series doesn't fit into the established canon then what reason do we have to care about it, because none of the characters in that series including the Chief will have any of the previous history we associate with them. They will all be blank slates and essentially different characters which defeats the purpose of using them in the first place.

Most of us may only just be overreacting but I would rather be wrong and raise concerns now than be right and not make a fuss. The Halo EU is nothing like how the Star Wars EU was it doesn't need alternate timelines or stories outside the games that take priority.

Halo is one of the few franchises that exists that has an EU where every piece of media matters, the pay off Renegades had for those who read every other book is proof that the EU is worth preserving.
Trying to give them a benefit of the doubt in regards to this movie. We have seen before that visual media has not been fully canon as shown by halo 5. Thel 'Vadamee and his fellow swords are said to canon-wise look like Halo 2A sangheili, rather then the halo 4-5 types. As for dates, the Covenant war was large and long enough they could easily choose something to work. 343 clearly cares about canon, far more then Bungie did, seeing as we have books like Warfleet, mythos, and the Reach datapads. I guess only time will tell on how this movie goes.
I think they just want to let the show's writers do what they want, which is fair (as long as the end result is actually good). TheTsame would have happened if they'd have done a show based on TFOR or the first game. Treat the show as an adaption rather than as a new part of the same timeline.
The only change I will absolutely not accept is if Sgt. Johnson isn’t like his character in any major way.
The only change I will absolutely not accept is if Sgt. Johnson isn’t like his character in any major way.
I want Issac Hayes to play the Head or 'Master' Chef on the Infinity.
Problem is, a lot of us are hoping the TV show will ADD to the Halo universe and the story at large, but if it directly contradicts other established things, none of us will be able to accept it.

In addition to that, the differences you cited (such as Lord of The Rings) is entirely different. They're recreating an exact story, whereas the TV show isn't. Character ethnicities I understand (sometimes, good actors aren't the "right" race, or other times you just can't find someone who fits), but there's absolutely no need to change dates or locations.
Problem is, a lot of us are hoping the TV show will ADD to the Halo universe and the story at large, but if it directly contradicts other established things, none of us will be able to accept it.

In addition to that, the differences you cited (such as Lord of The Rings) is entirely different. They're recreating an exact story, whereas the TV show isn't. Character ethnicities I understand (sometimes, good actors aren't the "right" race, or other times you just can't find someone who fits), but there's absolutely no need to change dates or locations.
I would generally agree that they should keep established things as is, but only the important things. Changing the date of the fall of Reach, for instance, would be unnecessary and annoying. However, changing less important things that amount to single lines in the established universe and changing the look of certain equipment is not a big deal. The show can't be 100% faithful to the look represented in the games, especially since that look keeps changing with every game release.

My opinion on the show is that changes should only be condemned if they are not justified by good storytelling decisions. If they change something, but that change leads to a thrilling episode in the show, so be it. And again, it was never going to align perfectly with EU even if it was a direct adaption.

I'll just be happy to see a good show, as my faith in Halo's story has been waning

I would generally agree that they should keep established things as is, but only the important things. Changing the date of the fall of Reach, for instance, would be unnecessary and annoying. However, changing less important things that amount to single lines in the established universe and changing the look of certain equipment is not a big deal. The show can't be 100% faithful to the look represented in the games, especially since that look keeps changing with every game release.

My opinion on the show is that changes should only be condemned if they are not justified by good storytelling decisions. If they change something, but that change leads to a thrilling episode in the show, so be it. And again, it was never going to align perfectly with EU even if it was a direct adaption.

I'll just be happy to see a good show, as my faith in Halo's story has been waning
I agree. If it's something that minor, that's fine, but there shouldn't be any reason to change dates and locations of significant events. Also, the show technically can get by without changing some visuals, since 343 has at least made clear which looks were "canon". For example, with H2A's release, they confirmed that Halo: Reach featured the canon artstyle for the wartime Covenant - and all media featuring the Covenant afterwards continued to use that same artstyle.

Is a thrilling episode really worth it if it can't fit? I'm not looking forward to the potential lore debates about which one's actually canon.
Over all what really captures my interest is that they may have to change DATES and LOCATIONS. Sorry for the caps but it raises the question of whether the show will take place during something we are really familiar with or something minor that has only been mentioned in passing. I'm thinking it might be something we are rather familiar with as Kiki made the comparison to GoT - something that was established but altered due to changing mediums. So again for me, my interest will depend on how significant any changes are.
I just don't mind the show having its own canon. That would be better in a way than trying to force the show's cannon on the existing EU or vice versa. If the changes are minor, or if the show deals with events that we're not yet covered in the EU, then no problem. They can fit together. But if they are covering the same events (ie The Fall of Reach) then the changes are inevitable and the show should just be considered an adaption. Like GoT, it can stand on its own without hindering the existing source material.
I just don't mind the show having its own canon. That would be better in a way than trying to force the show's cannon on the existing EU or vice versa. If the changes are minor, or if the show deals with events that we're not yet covered in the EU, then no problem. They can fit together. But if they are covering the same events (ie The Fall of Reach) then the changes are inevitable and the show should just be considered an adaption. Like GoT, it can stand on its own without hindering the existing source material.
Part of the problem is that I'm not just looking forward to a Halo TV series. I'm looking forward to a medium that requires a heavier focus on storytelling than even the games can allow - meaning the universe can be developed far beyond what we see in the games. That's what I wanted.

That's... part of why I wasn't happy to hear it'd follow the Master Chief - or any soldier for that matter. War stories should be used where war stories can be used - in the games. But stuff like... Hunt The Truth? That's something we'll unfortunately never get to see in a game - and if the TV show doesn't capitalize on that, well, we'll never really see that side of things.

I understand if they want to start the show with something like that, but I'm really hoping that once it succeeds they'll delve into what makes Halo a unique sci-fi story: the majesty of the Forerunners, ONI's meddling, the moral implications of the SPARTAN program, that kind of thing.
I very much agree. The choice to follow a random battle in the Great War is a head-scratcher, and the choice to make John the star is even more puzzling. I hope they add some TFOR flashbacks at least
I very much agree. The choice to follow a random battle in the Great War is a head-scratcher, and the choice to make John the star is even more puzzling. I hope they add some TFOR flashbacks at least
I'd say both are simple:

The random battle is avoid canon conflicts. Every time there's been anything inserted in the past its often felt like it awkwardly fits into canon.

Chief's also simple, its marketability. Some random characters aren't going to draw in the same interest that chief does. If they used another character we'd probably be getting another hundred "will X be replacing master chief" or "Master chief vs x" threads to clog up the lore forums.
I'd say both are simple:

The random battle is avoid canon conflicts. Every time there's been anything inserted in the past its often felt like it awkwardly fits into canon.

Chief's also simple, its marketability. Some random characters aren't going to draw in the same interest that chief does. If they used another character we'd probably be getting another hundred "will X be replacing master chief" or "Master chief vs x" threads to clog up the lore forums.
I don't see why they want to make the show part of the cannon and not a straight up adaption. Seeing a random Master Chief event we never heard about but is supposedly part of the cannon is, like, if we're supposed to care about this why haven't we heard of it before? Clearly this event doesn't matter much in universe. And I'd personally rather follow new characters (for whom a random battle in the war could actually matter, as opposed to John who has been to hundreds and is a super soldier), but yeah I agree about marketability. Master Chief is the face of the Halo brand, after all. I just hope marketability doesn't lead their narrative choices going forward
I'd say both are simple:

I don't see why they want to make the show part of the cannon and not a straight up adaption. Seeing a random Master Chief event we never heard about but is supposedly part of the cannon is, like, if we're supposed to care about this why haven't we heard of it before? Clearly this event doesn't matter much in universe. And I'd personally rather follow new characters (for whom a random battle in the war could actually matter, as opposed to John who has been to hundreds and is a super soldier), but yeah I agree about marketability. Master Chief is the face of the Halo brand, after all. I just hope marketability doesn't lead their narrative choices going forward
I remember a possible story arc/focus of the failure to launch Halo movie where it followed the Halo CE story but the focus was on a group of marines and their journey while on the ring, with the Chief and his actions on the ring played out in the background. I really liked this idea and I think it would work for a movie or TV series. It gives the Chief some spot light but allows other characters to develop (so long as they're given their own character and stories, not some chief stand in).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2