Forums / Community / Halo Universe

HALO Universe Reset

OP TheDarkSpartan

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo 6 is approaching within the next year or two if patterns stay constant. Many have speculated how the Universe will survive against Cortana and her forces. Nobody has however discussed a Universe reset. This is an event that the hero or some unseen character causes to reset the known universe to get a second chance to fix things for the better. What if at the end of Halo 6 The Chief hits a button the reset the entire Halo Universe giving only him the memories needed to fix everything from the start so the blood shed unnecessarily wouldn't be shed again. This would be a slap in the face to the community as a whole but would allow 343 to continue Chief's story. Imagine hitting the switch and having to start back at Halo CE. This time you'd know every outcome and have the chance to literally change history of the known HALO Universe as we know it. It could actually be an interesting concept that should be delved into even if it's just a board room discussion that's thrown out.

Would you still play Halo if 343 decided to do a Universe Reset?
Would you play just to change history to see if it really had any impact on the current Halo timeline? You could save, Capt. Keyes, Miranda, or even the Legendary Sgt. Johnson.
Would and could you push the switch at the end of Halo 6 that would reset the Halo Universe to save everyone?
What's your constructive thought?
Well, I have to say, I can't think of a worse deus ex machina.
So rather than a reboot or a retcon, you're suggesting some sort of canon event that changes the events of history in established canon, like time travel or something?

I think that would be a cliched, contrived, and utterly terrible idea to implement. Any sort of event that makes previous events no longer matter or not have actually occurred (like the classic "it was all just a dream" trope) is a lazy mechanic and shouldn't be used. If you're going to reboot Halo, just reboot it. If you're not going to reboot it, then don't try to undo what you've done. If you, as a creator, don't like the direction the fiction is going, then figure out a way to course correct that extends naturally from where the fiction is and don't try to simply sweep the previous fiction--no matter how much you or anyone else make not like it--under the rug. That's what I think.
Yeah not a fan of this. Time travel resets this deep into a series are lazy.
tsassi wrote:
What about the "it was just a dream" trope? How does that compare?
I don't like Time Travel. It's course, rough, irritating and it gets everywhere. Like Sand. It's also responsible for ruining stories more than any other plot device (imo).

Tbh, I can't really see this being more favorable than just going with a full reboot. With a reset I think you're still tied to the events before and don't have nearly enough freedom in storytelling unless you straight up leave everything behind. But if you're going to do that why not reboot the entire thing? Anyways, we're not even close to getting Halo 6 so I don't really feel we have to worry about Halo's direction just yet. lol.

Maybe after Halo 7, if no one likes the ending, we can start thinking about resets and reboots. (^_ ^ )
Chimera30 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
It's about on par.
Chimera30 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
lol. I wouldn't mind a short, non-canon comedy game that has that as an ending.
Buuut definitely not for the core games and/or anything that is trying to be serious.
Holy High Charity! I've never seen so many Monitors post in such a short time frame. You guys taking a break from an ONI Section Zero meeting or something? :p
On topic, I'm devastated enough by the Star Wars EU's own Order 66, don't think my heart can take Halo going down as well.
Chimera30 wrote:
So rather than a reboot or a retcon, you're suggesting some sort of canon event that changes the events of history in established canon, like time travel or something?

I think that would be a cliched, contrived, and utterly terrible idea to implement. Any sort of event that makes previous events no longer matter or not have actually occurred (like the classic "it was all just a dream" trope) is a lazy mechanic and shouldn't be used. If you're going to reboot Halo, just reboot it. If you're not going to reboot it, then don't try to undo what you've done. If you, as a creator, don't like the direction the fiction is going, then figure out a way to course correct that extends naturally from where the fiction is and don't try to simply sweep the previous fiction--no matter how much you or anyone else make not like it--under the rug. That's what I think.
Yes and no. It would be a time travel event but you'd be able to relive the adventures of past and change it for a better future. This would create an alternate timeline in which The Chief would remember everything from the other timeline so as to help avoid similar mistakes in this one. I agree that it would be a slap in the face but it would be an idea to keep Halo going and bring back classic Characters like Johnson.
Ka Five wrote:
Yeah not a fan of this. Time travel resets this deep into a series are lazy.
They are lazy but it was just an idea that might give Chief a couple more years for us Veteran gamers that don't want to see his story end anytime soon.
What's the end goal?
The end Goal would be to save lives and prevent the Created and Cortana from controlling everything. The only problem is that if Cortana could read Chief's memories when insterted into his helmet then she would see what he already has and might make her go rampant faster. Hmmmm that could be worse yet.
tsassi wrote:
Was an idea that I see got alot of Monitors attention I see. Not a very well liked idea i must say. So for that I say sorry but I could see a multi-billion dollar industry doing something like that. It's like the Matrix reboot that is in the works. Not sure how many of us would really want to see it but I would like to go back and save a few of the characters that died. After all, not all heroes have to die.
Chimera30 wrote:
Yes and no. It would be a time travel event but you'd be able to relive the adventures of past and change it for a better future. This would create an alternate timeline in which The Chief would remember everything from the other timeline so as to help avoid similar mistakes in this one. I agree that it would be a slap in the face but it would be an idea to keep Halo going and bring back classic Characters like Johnson.
First: please don't make individual posts to quote different users back to back when replying. This is a method people use to bump up their forum rank, and we don't like that. You can quote multiple people in the same post; please do that from now on.

Second: Why do we need to bring back classic characters who have died? When series have the gumption to actually kill off popular characters, that should be commended. It gives weight to a series, it brings gravitas and meaning. You remember those moments, they stick with you, and the loss of those characters shapes things in the future. Now, within Halo, we've already seen how reversing a character's death can affect the franchise. I see no reason why other characters should have to go through the same treatment. The dead should stay dead; history should go unchanged. Adding new events to history of a canon is very different than changing canonical history. If you want to see Johnson and other dead classic characters again, the better route would be spinoff stories detailing events of their lives before they died. A game adaption of Contact Harvest would be such a method; you get to see--maybe even play as--Sgt. Johnson again, but you don't erase the weight of his death. Instead of changing history, you add to it; that is how you bring back classic characters.
Can't say I would hit that button to be honest. I enjoyed my time with characters now gone but I don't want to see all of that undone. I could agree with what was mentioned above though, about backstory games set in the past, something like that could be interesting. At this point after 15 years of Halo I just really don't see the point in hitting reset. Halo has an amazing universe with so much that hasn't even been touched on yet, can't we focus on that and creating new adventures rather than rehashing stuff with the same people?
Chimera30 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Personally, the only acceptable "it was just a dream" was with Katey Sagal in Married with Children.
An non canon alternative version would be interresting,as this stuff is often discussed here on Waypoint,but an canon version?Definitvly not.
Heh a canon reset. I dont think its a good idea. I mean if you look at my lists in my sig and also look at Halopedia. There

A canon reset would actually cause havok and do no good if done in timetravel/dream point of view in regards to the Fans who experienced it all.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2