Forums / Community / Halo Universe

HALO Universe Reset

OP TheDarkSpartan

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
tsassi wrote:
Well, I have to say, I can't think of a worse deus ex machina.
I can. The Flash, season 2. They couldn't think of a good way to get rid of zoom so they had some time wraiths take him out....

But you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Yes and no. It would be a time travel event but you'd be able to relive the adventures of past and change it for a better future. This would create an alternate timeline in which The Chief would remember everything from the other timeline so as to help avoid similar mistakes in this one. I agree that it would be a slap in the face but it would be an idea to keep Halo going and bring back classic Characters like Johnson.
First: please don't make individual posts to quote different users back to back when replying. This is a method people use to bump up their forum rank, and we don't like that. You can quote multiple people in the same post; please do that from now on.

Second: Why do we need to bring back classic characters who have died? When series have the gumption to actually kill off popular characters, that should be commended. It gives weight to a series, it brings gravitas and meaning. You remember those moments, they stick with you, and the loss of those characters shapes things in the future. Now, within Halo, we've already seen how reversing a character's death can affect the franchise. I see no reason why other characters should have to go through the same treatment. The dead should stay dead; history should go unchanged. Adding new events to history of a canon is very different than changing canonical history. If you want to see Johnson and other dead classic characters again, the better route would be spinoff stories detailing events of their lives before they died. A game adaption of Contact Harvest would be such a method; you get to see--maybe even play as--Sgt. Johnson again, but you don't erase the weight of his death. Instead of changing history, you add to it; that is how you bring back classic characters.
Thank you. I didn't realize you could quote more than one in a reply. My bad. True. I also like the idea of a future game Halo: Contact Harvest. It would be epic playing as Sgt. Johnson as long as they kept to the story line that is.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Well, I have to say, I can't think of a worse deus ex machina.
I can. The Flash, season 2. They couldn't think of a good way to get rid of zoom so they had some time wraiths take him out....

But you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
That wasn't nearly as bad. At the very least, it introduced Black Flash into the Arrowverse, which I'm sure Flash fans appreciated.

CW's The Flash suffers in general from too many speedsters, and it gets confusing because they can all time travel and they can even make copies of themselves. Their powers are so OP that there really can't be anything other than a higher power (or another speedster) that stops them. It would be nice if season 4 figures out a way to make a compelling main villain who's not a speedster.

But that's neither here nor there; I could talk about Flash for hours, but we can't do that here :P For the Halo universe, changing history is about as lazy an ex machina as you can get.
I'm completely opposed to the idea. I personally don't like time travel (backwards anyways). A reboot down the line, maybe.

Tho, I'm afraid backwards timetravel is already Halo Conon... Does anybody else here remember the story involving Ilovebees.com? It was during Halo 2. The story goes, a washout from the Spartan II program that was reassigned to ONI and got caught in some spacetime accident and got digitally set back to our time as a rampant program.

Forgive me for not having more details, that was a long time ago. Does anybody else remember this tho? Can anybody more thoroughly explain it?
to do this "canon reset" would be the worst idea of all time there is way too much you would be throwing out that would in this case need re-written do you know how many man hours that would take think of all the books that would need re writes, and then you have the games that would be re made from the ground up not a fan of this idea
to do this "canon reset" would be the worst idea of all time there is way too much you would be throwing out that would in this case need re-written do you know how many man hours that would take think of all the books that would need re writes, and then you have the games that would be re made from the ground up not a fan of this idea
yes. I agree with you in the sense of restarting the saga and everything from the ground up. I was more or less trying to point out that instead of killing MasterChief off and leaving us with another hero, 343 could do a scenario where at the end of the game. the Chief goes back in time and stops key events from happening. He of course could team up with him former self destroying the fabric of space time all together or could just sit in the back of all events unnoticed changing stuff so they turn out for the better. This would allow his original story to be played out like we all did but allow the Master Chief story to continue on the side lines where nobody would notice. Sort of what they did in Red vs. Blue
To retcon the entire Halo universe up until this point would probably be the worst narrative decision in the history of the franchise. They wouldn't be able to do it in a way that didn't feel cliche/contrived and it would be a giant slap in the face to every Halo fan.
I don't want a hard reset like what happened with the star wars universe, but I do want a reset of Halo 5, Spartan Ops, the kilo-trilogy and anything and everything that came after it (especially the Escalation comics). I'd also consider a reset for Halo 4, but only if they redo it with the same story structure. Otherwise don't. So here's the list of stuff that needs to be decanonized. I also want a new story for halo reach that has the same feel and story that is friendly to the lore and story of the book because it can't exist in the same universe as Halo: Fall of Reach:

- Halo 4's campaign (only if the reboot has the same story structure. Needs to be told better, with better characters and better subplots)
- Halo 4: Spartan Ops
- Halo Escalations
- Halo: Kilo-Five Trilogy
- Halo: New Blood
- Halo: Last Light
- Halo: Broken Circle
- Halo: Shadow of Intent
- Halo 4: Spartan Ops
- Halo: Fall of Reach animated Series
- Halo: Fall of Reach comics
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo: Tales from Slipspace
- Halo: Fractures (yes, all of it.)
- Halo: Envoy
- Halo: Smoke and Shadows
- Halo: Saint's Testimony (even though I love it personally, it needs to go.)
- Halo: Primordium (reboot)
- Halo: Retribution
- Halo Reach (soft reboot, same as Halo 4.)
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark
- Halo: The Flood (already considered fanfiction)

What we keep:

- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Halo 2
- Halo 3
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo Reach's basic story arc and characters
- Halo 4's basic story arc
- Halo: Fall of Reach (novel)
- Halo: First Strike
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
- Halo: Cole Protocol
- Halo: Contact Harvest
- Halo: Cryptum
- Halo: Silentium
- Halo: Helljumpers
- Halo: Uprising
- Halo: Blood Line
- Halo Evolutions (Short Story Collection)
John9895 wrote:
To retcon the entire Halo universe up until this point would probably be the worst narrative decision in the history of the franchise. They wouldn't be able to do it in a way that didn't feel cliche/contrived and it would be a giant slap in the face to every Halo fan.
343 has already retcon several moments from halo from them nerfing the actual power potential of the ur-didact in Halo 4 to high charity surviving the events of Halo 3 in Halo Wars 2. There's also the fact that Del Rio was supposed to be one of the UNSC's brightest military captains which is why he was chosen to lead the UNSC Infinity, which we know is blatantly false (as scene by how he "lead" his men in Halo 4). There's also Cortana surviving the events of Halo 4 (surviving rampancy and getting nuked) and becoming the villain in Halo 5 for reasons that still aren't very clear,. There's the fact that the Didact was somehow defeated by a Pulse Grenade in Halo 4, coming back in Halo Escalations and immediately "dying" all over again by standing in a spot he could have easily moved away from while Chief super composes him. There's also the fact that 343 Guilty Spark somehow survived the events of Halo 3 as revealed in the novel Halo Primordium even after being destroyed on Installation 04-b which was subsequently self-destructed thereafter). Halo Reach's story also cannot exist while the events of the novel, Halo: Fall of Reach, are still canon.

The universe needs to be rebooted to some extent, but nuking the entire expanded universe would be a terrible idea. Some things need to be cut out and others need to be changed (Halo 4's story and Halo Reach's story, should be redone to fit the expanded lore, but the basic story arc and noble team and how they each die should remain entirely untouched).
truly a slap to real fans, writter, comics creators and all those guys who tattooed a H3 or before symbol.
John9895 wrote:
343 has already retcon several moments from halo from them nerfing the actual power potential of the ur-didact in Halo 4 to high charity surviving the events of Halo 3 in Halo Wars 2. There's also the fact that Del Rio was supposed to be one of the UNSC's brightest military captains which is why he was chosen to lead the UNSC Infinity, which we know is blatantly false (as scene by how he "lead" his men in Halo 4). There's also Cortana surviving the events of Halo 4 (surviving rampancy and getting nuked) and becoming the villain in Halo 5 for reasons that still aren't very clear,. There's the fact that the Didact was somehow defeated by a Pulse Grenade in Halo 4, coming back in Halo Escalations and immediately "dying" all over again by standing in a spot he could have easily moved away from while Chief super composes him. There's also the fact that 343 Guilty Spark somehow survived the events of Halo 3 as revealed in the novel Halo Primordium even after being destroyed on Installation 04-b which was subsequently self-destructed thereafter). Halo Reach's story also cannot exist while the events of the novel, Halo: Fall of Reach, are still canon.

The universe needs to be rebooted to some extent, but nuking the entire expanded universe would be a terrible idea. Some things need to be cut out and others need to be changed (Halo 4's story and Halo Reach's story, should be redone to fit the expanded lore, but the basic story arc and noble team and how they each die should remain entirely untouched).
well said.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2