4. 86
  5. 87
  6. 88
  7. 89
  8. ...
  9. 120
ChasCT2 wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
And also, you fail to realize the a sword hasn't been made as such because it would be heavy and illogical. However you obviously fail to recognize that the energy sword and sabre are both practically weightless. Was for that idea for the sabre to flow between the blades of the ES, if you look at the sword it gets smaller as you go down the hilt. All you did was rant on about irrelevant tactics and sword stuff that would have nothing to do with the situation. Its cool that you're passionate about starwars but I doubt you even watched the entire 16 minute video as to why the ES has the better design. The guy literally gives pros, cons, history on both universes. There's no point trying to argue with you, in the end neither weapons exist and the fact that you can't even take an opposing idea into consideration, regardless of what it supported, says a lot about how you think. That no one else has good ideas or opinions. Ignorance at its prime I say.
I've watched the video, and I wasn't impressed.

Tactics is EVERYTHING when it comes to HEMA, strong idiots die to weak tacticians.

I know the swords are weightless, I stated that but you didn't read it, see how much a fool you've made of yourself?

I can't take your opinion under fair scrutiny? Sounds like projection if I've ever heard it.

So now that you've lost you're just giving up and admitting defeat by saying "it doesn't matter, it's fiction?" So if anyone disagrees with you, you ignore them, right? Please.
Actually Lightsabers can adjust their weight, how is never explained just that they could, so they're not weightless.
I should edit that to "practically weightless" shouldn't I? Plasma weighs something, but my point was the only thing that you can have a sense of presence is the grip, considering that the lore states that the lightsaber is an enclosed system and doesn't radiate heat, as it doesn't waste any of the energy. (which is basically impossible, but it's sci-fi, after all.)
Alpha btw wrote:
ChasCT2 wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
And also, you fail to realize the a sword hasn't been made as such because it would be heavy and illogical. However you obviously fail to recognize that the energy sword and sabre are both practically weightless. Was for that idea for the sabre to flow between the blades of the ES, if you look at the sword it gets smaller as you go down the hilt. All you did was rant on about irrelevant tactics and sword stuff that would have nothing to do with the situation. Its cool that you're passionate about starwars but I doubt you even watched the entire 16 minute video as to why the ES has the better design. The guy literally gives pros, cons, history on both universes. There's no point trying to argue with you, in the end neither weapons exist and the fact that you can't even take an opposing idea into consideration, regardless of what it supported, says a lot about how you think. That no one else has good ideas or opinions. Ignorance at its prime I say.
I've watched the video, and I wasn't impressed.

Tactics is EVERYTHING when it comes to HEMA, strong idiots die to weak tacticians.

I know the swords are weightless, I stated that but you didn't read it, see how much a fool you've made of yourself?

I can't take your opinion under fair scrutiny? Sounds like projection if I've ever heard it.

So now that you've lost you're just giving up and admitting defeat by saying "it doesn't matter, it's fiction?" So if anyone disagrees with you, you ignore them, right? Please.
Actually Lightsabers can adjust their weight, how is never explained just that they could, so they're not weightless.
I should edit that to "practically weightless" shouldn't I? Plasma weighs something, but my point was the only thing that you can have a sense of presence is the grip, considering that the lore states that the lightsaber is an enclosed system and doesn't radiate heat, as it doesn't waste any of the energy. (which is basically impossible, but it's sci-fi, after all.)
Yeah you should and as the members of SB like to say when something like that happens, it's magic, I ain't gotta explain -Yoink-. :P
HALO
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Well I know that for a fact, all abilities aside, that the energy sword beats the light sabre.
Say whaaaat? How can an energy sword beat the weapon of a more elegant age?

Also, how can you know something based in pure fiction as a fact?

I'd have to say the winner would be the more skilled of the 2 dueling. Weapon vs weapon should match up pretty evenly really.
Because the sabers awful compared to the sword. See here.
Yeah, I've watched that video before. It's slightly flawed in my opinion. For example the youtube says the lightsaber has only one cutting edge, when in reality, if it were real, it would have a 360° cutting edge, and thats not counting the tip. Next, he claims how the energy sword has the open slits between the 2 blades to catch, hold, twist, and disarm an opponent. What he didn't think of is what would stop the duelist wielding the light saber from sliding his blade through this open slit to his opponents hand which would cut the energy blade hilt, and hand, in half. Then, no one ever brings up the fact of how an energy blade is held in the hand. It would be very unwieldy and could easily be rolled in the hand during a duel. Think of holding the head of a golf club in your hand, an iron, not driver, and then strike something in a cutting motion parallel to your wrist. Your wrist, or energy blade hilt, would easily be rolled to the top or bottom of your forearm. Just think about it. Theres a reason that 1000's of years of sword making and design never went the way of the Halo energy blade. Heck, energy swords haven't even been showed to deflect directed energy weapons. That, or absorb lightning with ease.

In the end, I wouldn't turn down the chance to have either weapon, if real. But if I had to pick just one. It would be a lightsaber for sure.
The 360 degree edge is still one edge. The sliding idea is valid, but if the user of the sword is twisting the saber is likely to get jammed by the angle. Also if it's between the blades long enough without being twisted out the users hand to be fair the user of the sword is an idiot.

Not sure about the rolling thing, never seen anyone in the Halovere or books have the issue though so I'm guessing the grip negates it. No offence to star wars, but the reason there blades are usually single is because it's easier to do the FX on, while the Energy sword is actually modelled for being a weapon. As for blocking directed energy weapons the sword can block another sword, so it would have the potential. Obviously making a sword user immune to all covvie weapons to the front would be over powered in game. As for lighting, that's because no one users mind powers in Halo :P
The reason the lightsaber in its common form looks so boring is the consistency with the pseudoscience, lightsabers have to be made and put together and a very specific way for them to work properly. This is why people were angry at the design for Kylo Ren's sword, a crossguard isn't impractical, but that type of lightsaber just wouldn't function, the guard could've easily been made out of some of these materials.

The energy sword looks really cool, but there's a reason that sword design never showed up historically; the wielders never lived to tell the tale.
Yeah it needs alot of force behind it, hence why it's wielded by Elites and Spartan's exclusively.
The Empire has been know to glass planets unlike the Covenant. Even with any kind of Spartan armor, lightsaber would win against it. The lightsaber would be effective against any Halo weapons except weapons fired from Covenant cruisers, UNSC Mac cannons, and, the Halo rings. The only real threat to the Star Wars universe would be the Flood. Other than that, the Star Wars universe would win. However, should the flood infect a planet, the Death Star could destroy it.
Remember order 66? Massed fire kills Jedi, chances are in massed combat Jedi would be brought down. And Death Star can't be everywhere at once.
a well place grenade works too
The Problem most are forgetting is the Force power , Battle Mind. (In game it is a simple buff power. In cannon it is actually used to coordinate and sharpen minds so that they fight with a single focus.) This is why The battle of Endor appears to be going so well for the Imperials and then , with the death of the Emporer , the whole fleet falls apart. This is how the Jedi Bastilla (who would eventually be the Sith Lord Kreya) helped hold off Revans' assault of the Old Republic. This is why the Jedi on Geonosis were able to hold off so many opponents with negligible casualties. Focusing a group of Jedi/Sith on a single purpose makes them almost unstoppable , but requires a master of great power (once in a generation type power , hence why it is not more prominent). Think Yoda , or Palpatine type power ; this is why you don't see it being used on every mission or every story ; also in The Imperial Era it is all but a lost power , as Palpatine is the only known force user with said ability.
Can't really compare the two. I love both franchises but its really hard to compare them
Rommel S wrote:
I find it funny how people are still arguing the force can do this and that to a Spartan when there are NO MIDICHLORIANS IN A SPARTAN/the HALOVERSE TO MANIPULATE! In fact I think many Sith/Jedi would die in the first encounters by being surprised that their common force powers are doing nothing to Spartans and don't work in the Haloverse.
This midicholrian thing is a common misconception. Midicholrians are not the force and have never been said as being the force. Midicholrians are like the antennas that help the force wielders make contact/use the force and in turn allow the force to communicate back to the force wileder. Inanimate non living objects in the movies, or books, do not have midicholrians, only living cells have them. But they are able to still be moved or manipulated by those who can use the force. So, the Spartans having or not having midicholrians wouldn't matter. The force wielder would still be able to manipulate them and use their force abilities all the same.

The real question would be, "is the force in the same galaxy as the Halo universe"? Really though, I think that question is moot. If your gonna compare universes in a vs discussion, you gotta alow all aspects of both universes in the debate. If you don't, it's not a real discussion.
Yeah, I misconstrued the two. As to the force being able to work, that is still a no. You can't just say that the rules of one universe get bent just so something from another that has rules as to when it can/cannot work, can suddenly work, it would be like saying the Halo effect would then work on Droids, or the Logic Plague would work on Stormtroopers; and you can't say no because its a power one has and to be 'fair' it just 'has' to work. If there is no force somewhere, it can't be used - it doesn't exist in Halo, ergo it cannot be used in the Haloverse.
Rommel S wrote:
I find it funny how people are still arguing the force can do this and that to a Spartan when there are NO MIDICHLORIANS IN A SPARTAN/the HALOVERSE TO MANIPULATE! In fact I think many Sith/Jedi would die in the first encounters by being surprised that their common force powers are doing nothing to Spartans and don't work in the Haloverse.
This midicholrian thing is a common misconception. Midicholrians are not the force and have never been said as being the force. Midicholrians are like the antennas that help the force wielders make contact/use the force and in turn allow the force to communicate back to the force wileder. Inanimate non living objects in the movies, or books, do not have midicholrians, only living cells have them. But they are able to still be moved or manipulated by those who can use the force. So, the Spartans having or not having midicholrians wouldn't matter. The force wielder would still be able to manipulate them and use their force abilities all the same.

The real question would be, "is the force in the same galaxy as the Halo universe"? Really though, I think that question is moot. If your gonna compare universes in a vs discussion, you gotta alow all aspects of both universes in the debate. If you don't, it's not a real discussion.
Yeah, I misconstrued the two. As to the force being able to work, that is still a no. You can't just say that the rules of one universe get bent just so something from another that has rules as to when it can/cannot work, can suddenly work, it would be like saying the Halo effect would then work on Droids, or the Logic Plague would work on Stormtroopers; and you can't say no because its a power one has and to be 'fair' it just 'has' to work. If there is no force somewhere, it can't be used - it doesn't exist in Halo, ergo it cannot be used in the Haloverse.
I think you need to read the second paragraph in my post that you quoted.
Rommel S wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

I think you need to read the second paragraph in my post that you quoted.
Oh I did - it just doesn't make sense. If we are comparing, we are comparing ways in which one is better than another, as well as ways in which it is inferior, rather than equalling out (not saying you can't do that in threads and in fact that can be a fun exorcise in itself). So yes the force is an advantage in the Star Wars universe; but a limitation is that it exists nowhere else and thus can not be used elsewhere. As I said, just saying something works for the sake of it, unless specified by the OP - which I don't believe it was, doesn't fly. Heck the Star Wars universe seems to even confirm this with the Yuzon Vong, in that because they weren't from the universe they were not affected by direct force powers - suggesting the influence of the force is by and large confined to its universe and it's beings/atmosphere.
In sum the force is relatively limited on extra-galactic beings and non-existent in other universes, hence in the Haloverse it won't work and unless you are throwing stuff or manipulating the actual air or shooting out lightning it has few applications against non-Star Wars natives.
Rommel S wrote:

Not how this works, this is where rules of universes are added, not subtracted.

If it's human, it will get infected.

Midochlorians are not the force, they only strengthen the connection.

With your logic, the 2 galaxies would never be able to meet, because FTL travel in the method SW and Halo uses are both impossible.

That's why this is all hypothetical.
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

With your logic, the 2 galaxies would never be able to meet, because FTL travel in the method SW and Halo uses are both impossible.

As I said, unless it was stated in the OP you can't just say something works for the sake of it working when under its own rules it wouldn't. For example, the Flash can't go to the Marvel Universe and beat Quicksilver because there is no speed force there.

What does the infection refer to? I don't recall mentioning an infection in the last post.

Yeah, I said I had misconstrued it.

They are two separate galaxies still, the Galaxies are warring. What? Why would I or you be on this forum if we couldn't suspend our disbelief? Besides Halo at least can reach other Galaxies with Forerunner and Promethean ships and weaponry.

What specifically is hypothetical?
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:
Well I know that for a fact, all abilities aside, that the energy sword beats the light sabre.

I'd have to say the winner would be the more skilled of the 2 dueling. Weapon vs weapon should match up pretty evenly really.
I literally said abilities aside. The energy sword is a better disign.
Here's where I got this...
Eneregy sword VS lightsabre
It's not a better design, that Game Theory guy doesn't know much about swordfighting (which is fine, lay perspectives can be valuable, but in this case, you'd want to do research on your own about swordfighting techniques and design.)

Multiple people have said this: there's a reason historical craftsman never invented a blade that looks like the energy sword, it's an unwieldy and impractical weapon.

In HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), edge alignment is a very important part of fighting, probably the most important, because you can't win a battle without it, flailing your blade will only get you killed, tactless brutes were killed in sword duels, this is why you hear people call the sword the "gentleman's weapon." If you alligned your edge of your energy sword with the lightsaber, the guard would protect your hand, but because of its shape, you would get your arm severed, there's a reason guards are slanted upward or just perpendicular to the blade, it's for parrying, a basket hilt-type design would be much more practical and would be a fix for this hazard of a guard the ES has.

The only benefit the ES has over a lightsaber is that it can be thrusted more easily, and that's how you would use such a blade, it's like a retro Machete Gladius. This is solely because you can't half-sword a blade made of plasma.

Besides that, the ES can't be held on two hands, and to offset this disadvantage of both range and control, you'd need a defensive tool in your offhand, or another sword/offensive wreapon. Remember, plasma is as much as a danger to the wielder as it is to the opponent, 1 more blade means twice the risk for an accident.

As for catching the blade in the middle, the lightsaber could be driven down and cut both the handle and hand in half, that's considering the ES user was unsuccessful in twisting the blade even if they were successful, the lightsaber could just be turned off for a second.

This is assuming the lightsaber in question is a regular one, and not a twin blade, polearm, or whip, in which case the ES wouldn't be able to counter a curving plasma beam, double-edged blade throwing twice the power at you, or a polearm that outranges the ES and can be flailed as plasma weapons would weigh virtually nothing but the handle, you wouldn't have to put any of your weight into a thrust to be effective.

Lightsaber > Energy Sword
Dude I'm not even going to read all that ranting nonsense rn. I said THREE TIMES NOW abilities aside. That mean two identically trained people, no powers armour, etc. The energy sword is both bigger and designed better. I understand you loooooveee starwars. But give credit where credit is due and stop being ignorant to others ideas and opinions.
It's not a rant and says nothing of abilities, read it you child.
I didn't say I wasn't going to I simply said not right now. See it? The rn? Right there? First sentence? No? Okay. And abilities isn't limited to the force and over shields Dingus. Abilities also refers to each person ABILITY to fight. Two equally matched opponents. One using the ES and one the sabre. You need to learn to comprehend text before you rant and rave like a CHILD.... Lol. Seriously tho calm down you sound like a raging fool.
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

As I said, unless it was stated in the OP you can't just say something works for the sake of it working when under its own rules it wouldn't. For example, the Flash can't go to the Marvel Universe and beat Quicksilver because there is no speed force there.

What does the infection refer to? I don't recall mentioning an infection in the last post.

They are two separate galaxies still, the Galaxies are warring. What? Why would I or you be on this forum if we couldn't suspend our disbelief? Besides Halo at least can reach other Galaxies with Forerunner and Promethean ships and weaponry.

This whole situation is hypothetical, and not allowing both sides to use the tools given to them isn't a fair fight.

It's contradictory, MJOLNIR armor doesn't exist in SW, so that means Spartans fighting Jedi are naked, right?
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

I literally said abilities aside. The energy sword is a better disign.
Here's where I got this...
Eneregy sword VS lightsabre
It's not a better design, that Game Theory guy doesn't know much about swordfighting (which is fine, lay perspectives can be valuable, but in this case, you'd want to do research on your own about swordfighting techniques and design.)

Multiple people have said this: there's a reason historical craftsman never invented a blade that looks like the energy sword, it's an unwieldy and impractical weapon.

In HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), edge alignment is a very important part of fighting, probably the most important, because you can't win a battle without it, flailing your blade will only get you killed, tactless brutes were killed in sword duels, this is why you hear people call the sword the "gentleman's weapon." If you alligned your edge of your energy sword with the lightsaber, the guard would protect your hand, but because of its shape, you would get your arm severed, there's a reason guards are slanted upward or just perpendicular to the blade, it's for parrying, a basket hilt-type design would be much more practical and would be a fix for this hazard of a guard the ES has.

The only benefit the ES has over a lightsaber is that it can be thrusted more easily, and that's how you would use such a blade, it's like a retro Machete Gladius. This is solely because you can't half-sword a blade made of plasma.

Besides that, the ES can't be held on two hands, and to offset this disadvantage of both range and control, you'd need a defensive tool in your offhand, or another sword/offensive wreapon. Remember, plasma is as much as a danger to the wielder as it is to the opponent, 1 more blade means twice the risk for an accident.

As for catching the blade in the middle, the lightsaber could be driven down and cut both the handle and hand in half, that's considering the ES user was unsuccessful in twisting the blade even if they were successful, the lightsaber could just be turned off for a second.

This is assuming the lightsaber in question is a regular one, and not a twin blade, polearm, or whip, in which case the ES wouldn't be able to counter a curving plasma beam, double-edged blade throwing twice the power at you, or a polearm that outranges the ES and can be flailed as plasma weapons would weigh virtually nothing but the handle, you wouldn't have to put any of your weight into a thrust to be effective.

Lightsaber > Energy Sword
Dude I'm not even going to read all that ranting nonsense rn. I said THREE TIMES NOW abilities aside. That mean two identically trained people, no powers armour, etc. The energy sword is both bigger and designed better. I understand you loooooveee starwars. But give credit where credit is due and stop being ignorant to others ideas and opinions.
It's not a rant and says nothing of abilities, read it you child.
I didn't say I wasn't going to I simply said not right now. See it? The rn? Right there? First sentence? No? Okay. And abilities isn't limited to the force and over shields Dingus. Abilities also refers to each person ABILITY to fight. Two equally matched opponents. One using the ES and one the sabre. You need to learn to comprehend text before you rant and rave like a CHILD.... Lol. Seriously tho calm down you sound like a raging fool.
Your projection is astounding, but I'll ignore it.

I don't speak 1337, use real English next time.

If they are both equally skilled the ES fails solely by inferior design, now read the post and stop being an immature brat, if you didn't expect to be criticized or challenged you have no place being here.
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

This whole situation is hypothetical, and not allowing both sides to use the tools given to them isn't a fair fight.

It's contradictory, MJOLNIR armor doesn't exist in SW, so that means Spartans fighting Jedi are naked, right?
Who is denying use? I am pointing out a limitation, which has to factor in, like that little debate you are having about Lightsabers V Energy Swords, you see the energy sword as having a limitation (despite the fact its an alien weapon made for an alien physique and so Human limitations won't apply) and are pointing it out, I am doing the same for the Force. It has limits to its own universe and being used, effectively, on the denizens of that universe - which Star Wars itself supports in the Yuzon Vong.
Hell its probably better for Star Wars that the force is limited to their universe, Human/Forerunner A.I would analyse the hell out f it double quick and the next thing you know, you have Spartan/Prometheans mastering the force, not to mention the Flood.
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

Who is denying use? I am pointing out a limitation, which has to factor in, like that little debate you are having about Lightsabers V Energy Swords, you see the energy sword as having a limitation (despite the fact its an alien weapon made for an alien physique and so Human limitations won't apply) and are pointing it out, I am doing the same for the Force. It has limits to its own universe and being used, effectively, on the denizens of that universe - which Star Wars itself supports in the Yuzon Vong.
Hell its probably better for Star Wars that the force is limited to their universe, Human/Forerunner A.I would analyse the hell out f it double quick and the next thing you know, you have Spartan/Prometheans mastering the force, not to mention the Flood.
Okay. Spartans/Prometheans wouldn't be an to use the Force without genetic alteration, they have no physical connection. The Yuuzhan Vong are the only race in Star Wars capable of resisting the force naturally.

But you're reference to the LS vs ES is incorrect.

The ability of a certain species won't change the fact that's it's a punch-dagger that you can't attempt to parry with unless you want to lose your arm, it doesn't matter what alien race is using it, unless they're an amalgamation of tentacles, which the Sangheli are not.
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

it's a punch-dagger that you can't attempt to parry with unless you want to lose your arm
A punch dagger that fails at being a punch dagger at that.

I mean, sheesh, they're better off with this, this, or this if they wanted a standard melee weapon. At least all of those ain't guaranteed to be a threat to your life in combat.
I think every saga has his, but I like Halo lml
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Alpha btw wrote:
Rommel S wrote:

Okay. Spartans/Prometheans wouldn't be an to use the Force without genetic alteration, they have no physical connection. The Yuuzhan Vong are the only race in Star Wars capable of resisting the force naturally.

But you're reference to the LS vs ES is incorrect.

The ability of a certain species won't change the fact that's it's a punch-dagger that you can't attempt to parry with unless you want to lose your arm, it doesn't matter what alien race is using it, unless they're an amalgamation of tentacles, which the Sangheli are not.
Dude, Spartans are modified and Prometheans give themselves Brevet Mutations....I don't think it is above them being genetically modified or finding a different way to harness it, since the Forerunners are all about that harvesting of other universes to power kitchen appliances. I suppose the Forerunners may eschew the use of the Force as they have their own technological equivalents with constraint fields.

Explain how you would lose your arm parrying with it please. A simple twist of the wrist would allow for a parry and seeing as how a Sangheili is going to have a reach far in excess of your average humanoid Jedi, as well as reflexes at least on par. I imagine one swing from a Sangheili would cause a lot of Jedi to lose their Lightsabers as they attempt to block and have the lightsaber flung out of their hand due to the vastly superior strength of a Sangheili. A Jedi would have to work like Yoda against a Sangheili, not to mention they have to get through that shielding.
master chief would eat star wars through all 3 holes
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 85
  4. 86
  5. 87
  6. 88
  7. 89
  8. ...
  9. 120