Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare-The Flood!!!!

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I wish there was more flood in firefight though. Also wish they would release 1 more leader, UNSC preferably. And more maps.
For the first time in history, they actually make DLC for the campaign instead of multiplayer. It's a miracle!
The only thing holding me back from buying it is the thought of 343 only bringing the flood back just to fill their pockets...
I actually really liked how it was done. The Flood's return is not only plausible, but even more frightening than their first reveal (all things considered, for an RTS). Also just from the way things ended, I'm not entirely certain that it's over.
Spoiler:
Show
Don't worry lads I got this!
Herecy wrote:
The only thing holding me back from buying it is the thought of 343 only bringing the flood back just to fill their pockets...
Actually, they more brought the Flood back to hold players over in light of a delayed Halo 6 announcement.
In terms of story, utterly barebones. Like the rest of Halo Wars 2. Basically nothing. Pavium and Voritus, bros to the close. That's what I took from this DLC.

The Flood here was basically the Didact in The Next 72 Hours. It showed up, scared some people, then got put in a nice little box for 343 Industries to open later when they feel like it. Disappointing, but so be it.
Herecy wrote:
343i isn't seeing much return on this game. An annoyingly common misconception in the gaming community is that the developers are the ones raking in the cash--they aren't. By and large, dev studios like 343i, studios that are owned by a major publisher like Microsoft, are funded by the publisher, but do not themselves see the profits. The publisher does, and whether the devs get continued funding is determined by the publisher. Hence why many devs capitulate to publisher demands--often the publisher, who owns the game, ends up making the actual big decisions on game design and the dev does as ordered to keep their funding. Otherwise they're out of work.

So the dev gets to front all of the blame while the publisher gets to rake in the actual cash. If you're mad at someone, look at the publisher and not the developer. Often they probably feel the same way as you do. The gaming industry is much more about survival than the community seems to realize. And with the obscene budgets of most modern games, the excessive content cutting and the prevalence of post launch paid models begin to make a lot more sense. Games are cheaper at retail now than they have ever been before.

Considering Creative Assembly are the actual developers behind the game, 343i themselves have very little in the way of financial investment, at least compared to what you're probably thinking. So regarding the Flood DLC, regardless of how the publisher prices it, the actual content is usually designed only with the interest of fun and excitement in mind. Developers, like 343i, are gamers like you or I. The guys who set the pricing model, Microsoft, are not.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3