So I just discovered this thread and I think its cool. I have recently written a story (part of a trilogy-part 1 is done, currently on part 2) on fanfiction. It is quite long (over 160k words for part 1) hence the link. Like most of the people here, I think the Halo universe is a place rich in opportunities to explore, flushing out stories and characters to create something engaging and interesting. My novel (honestly at that length, it is) is a deviation from the (what I think) is the usual sci-fi setting. While it retains what that Halo-ish feel, I did venture into the romance territory, a surprising avenue in the Halo franchise.
Short overview: Since I did not like the Halo 5 story line (good plan, poor execution) I deviated from canon at the end of H4. A ODST is assigned to Blue Team and slowly a romance develops between Kelly-087 and this ODST as they try to take down the next threat against the UNSC. (Simple intro, story is obviously more flushed out). Also pokes into what civilian life could be like (you know, besides being slaughtered by the Covenant). If anyone wants to look at it and provide feedback on a few things, I would greatly appreciate it.
- My environments- see if you can imagine where the action is taking place and what atmosphere is created by these places.
- Action- see if the combat feels like Halo and if you can see the characters actually doing these things
- Romance- if it is believable, both in the sense of how it might naturally develop and if it could be realistic in the setting presented (setting of Halo as a militaristic sci-fi shooter)
- Dialogue- If my dialogue makes sense and carries the right tones for the setting/moment. Or if it rambles on
- Backstory- my ODST's backstory is interesting and believable
- Anything else you can think of
Enjoy my story!
(Not sure how to make this into an actual link, sorry!)