Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halos and Flood Specimens

OP MikeDoubleOh3

I'm pretty sure it's been established that all of the Halo rings, if not the Ark itself, had samples of flood specimens for study to find a cure or means to defeat them.

I was thinking today that, since one of the Ark's purposes is to build replacements in the event one of the "live" rings needs it, would they also be produced with Flood samples already on-board, or would there be some sort of transition of samples once the new ring arrived at the old's location? If the flood was there from the beginning of the ring's life, then that means it would theoretically have to come from the Ark, and without some means of reproduction (something I would think perverse to the Forerunners) there would only be a finite amount of samples to give to replacement rings.

Basically the questions are:
1) How many other rings have needed replacement since they were created? This would be pure conjecture unless there's a source I've not heard of yet. Related question, couldn't these replacements, certainly some would be due to catastrophic destruction, be the reason the other monitors were seemingly missing in the H3 terminals from Guilty Spark's records?

2) Do the replacement rings have flood samples? If so, where do they come from? Also, if so, is there a finite supply or is the supply artificially created? If they are not sent out with Flood, is there a transfer mechanism, unless the ring is totally destroyed (or the specimens similarly preserved as Katana was on Onyx), to get them from one ring to another?

The implications of replacement rings being sent out with no flood on them, and no transfer mechanism from ring to ring, is we could be fighting Cortana on a replacement Halo that has no Flood on it or anywhere near it.
I'm pretty sure it's been established that all of the Halo rings, if not the Ark itself, had samples of flood specimens for study to find a cure or means to defeat them.
I was thinking today that, since one of the Ark's purposes is to build replacements in the event one of the "live" rings needs it, would they also be produced with Flood samples already on-board, or would there be some sort of transition of samples once the new ring arrived at the old's location? If the flood was there from the beginning of the ring's life, then that means it would theoretically have to come from the Ark, and without some means of reproduction (something I would think perverse to the Forerunners) there would only be a finite amount of samples to give to replacement rings.
Basically the questions are:
1) How many other rings have needed replacement since they were created? This would be pure conjecture unless there's a source I've not heard of yet. Related question, couldn't these replacements, certainly some would be due to catastrophic destruction, be the reason the other monitors were seemingly missing in the H3 terminals from Guilty Spark's records?
2) Do the replacement rings have flood samples? If so, where do they come from? Also, if so, is there a finite supply or is the supply artificially created? If they are not sent out with Flood, is there a transfer mechanism, unless the ring is totally destroyed (or the specimens similarly preserved as Katana was on Onyx), to get them from one ring to another?
The implications of replacement rings being sent out with no flood on them, and no transfer mechanism from ring to ring, is we could be fighting Cortana on a replacement Halo that has no Flood on it or anywhere near it.
Firstly, I don't think Flood Samples would have been stored on the Ark. It would simply have been too big of a risk, not knowing how small of an amount of Flood Biomass was able to communicate with the Gravemind. That said, I don't think new Halos were produced with Flood samples already on them.
Unless you count the Lesser Ark's Halos as replacing the Greater Ark's Halos, then the only Halo ever replaced was Installation 04. From everything I've seen the other Halos were essentially left alone, resulting in them not getting destroyed, thus not needing replacements. The monitors ceasing to check in was likely due to the early stages of rampancy, where they were simply shirking some of their duties. That doesn't mean their installations were likely to have been completely destroyed.

In the Forerunner mindset, I don't think preserving the Flood samples was their highest concern. For them the only risk to a Halo would be the Flood, so specimens on the rings could be used to better combat the Flood, but if a ring were destroyed (presumably by the Flood) it wouldn't be like there was any shortage of Flood biomass if they wanted to stock another Halo's laboratory.

I strongly suspect that Installation 04c has no Flood Specimens on it. As for anywhere near it, I don't know if any Flood could have survived in the gas giant, or in the nearby rubble from the original 04 (remember the events of the Mona Lisa?).

But all things considered, I don't expect the Flood to show up in Halo 6, unless you count a non-canon Flood mode in Multiplayer.
For newly constructed replacement rings to have Flood samples, that would mean that:
  1. the Ark has a stock of samples that it provides every new ring with a little of (which would mean an exhaustible supply)
  2. the Ark has a base sample of Flood that it clones to provide new Halos with for study
I don't think either option is the case. I think the original rings has Flood samples stored there for study because the Halo rings were the safest place for storing them (outbreaks on Halos were restricted to the Halos, unless a 3rd party intervened to provide space travel to the Flood). I don't think the Forerunners stored Flood samples on the Ark, though I do think the Ark stores DNA samples of all known life species in the galaxy for reseeding purposes. And I don't think new Halos like Installations 04b and 04c have Flood samples on them.
Thanks guys.
I've been away from the expanded universe for a bit, last novel read was Silentium.

Regarding the Flood, I can't imagine ONI not tinkering with Flood specimens in their own right. They must have more than one mad scientist on the payroll.
I've been away from the expanded universe for a bit, last novel read was Silentium.

Regarding the Flood, I can't imagine ONI not tinkering with Flood specimens in their own right. They must have more than one mad scientist on the payroll.
Dude , read Halo: Evolutions , The Mona Lisa
Old Sweepi wrote:

Nothing is beyond the reach and breadth of the Office. NOTHING.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Old Sweepi wrote:

Crud, you're right, completely forgot.
Old Sweepi wrote:

Not even us....
Old Sweepi wrote:

You know, it reminds me that aside from Hunt the Truth, the Halo universe has really been light on "ONI did it" machinations recently. For a while it was quite the Halo trope.

On topic, put me down for "new Halos don't have Flood". Would have been too great a security risk to contain them on the Ark.
Fuchsdh wrote:
Old Sweepi wrote:

You know, it reminds me that aside from Hunt the Truth, the Halo universe has really been light on "ONI did it" machinations recently. For a while it was quite the Halo trope.

On topic, put me down for "new Halos don't have Flood". Would have been too great a security risk to contain them on the Ark.
They were contained just fine on the Halos until the Covvies let them out. Not to argue your opinion, just pointing that little bit out.
Fuchsdh wrote:
Old Sweepi wrote:

They were contained just fine on the Halos until the Covvies let them out. Not to argue your opinion, just pointing that little bit out.
True, but in the worst case scenario you can can neutralize the infection there. Whereas the Ark is outside the range of the Halos, but also has full control over them.
Fuchsdh wrote:
Fuchsdh wrote:
Old Sweepi wrote:

True, but in the worst case scenario you can can neutralize the infection there. Whereas the Ark is outside the range of the Halos, but also has full control over them.
And if the Flood got out of control they could theoretically take command of THE HALO ARRAY ITSELF. Ex; Mendicant Bias and the Primordial steering Omega Halo using captured Forerunner biomass.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Fuchsdh wrote:
Fuchsdh wrote:
Old Sweepi wrote:

Good point.
Halo Wars 1 proved that the flood is also on the shield worlds. So it is possible that the ark could be free of the flood. And that the flood was brought to the rings from elsewhere.
Black96z wrote:
Halo Wars 1 proved that the flood is also on the shield worlds. So it is possible that the ark could be free of the flood. And that the flood was brought to the rings from elsewhere.
The presence of crashed ships indicate the Flood came from the outside, not necessarily that they were stored there.
Black96z wrote:
The presence of crashed ships indicate the Flood came from the outside, not necessarily that they were stored there.
Plus it's to be assumed that the Covenant's arrival to the shield world is what prompted it to spread inside; this is reasonable given the outside surface is a barren, Flood wasteland while the inside is still relatively natural and pristine.
Black96z wrote:
Where can I find the information about the ship that crashed on the shield world?
Black96z wrote:
Black96z wrote:
Where can I find the information about the ship that crashed on the shield world?
You can see Forerunner ships scattered on the map if I recall correctly.
Black96z wrote:
Black96z wrote:
You can see Forerunner ships scattered on the map if I recall correctly.
What map you refurring to? It had been a long time since i played halo wars...but now that i have the DE edition i will be playing it again.