Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halsey Deserved to be Arrested

OP MochaNight67368

Okay, so Glasslands is a so-so book. It had interesting concepts introduced for setting up a postwar full of opportunities, but ultimately was in the hands of a poor author who was vindictive.

Regardless of Karen Travis' inability for nuance and overabundance to beat a dead horse, Dr. Catherine Halsey deserved to be arrested by ONI for stealing military assets and kidnapping them during humanity's darkest hour. Travis isn't completely wrong, she just sucks at writing and is overzealous in her arguments.

The Halo community has seemed divided on this issue since it came out because Halsey created the Spartan program and that lead to saving humanity. The good does not wash out the bad.

How many lives could have been saved if Blue Team wasn't lured to Onyx and everything else with The Battle of Earth played out?
Paragnosky, Mendez, Halsey.

Do see the comparison? I don't care about Halsey and never will, but if one gets arrested. Then what about the ones who approved the Spartan-II program and the other whose purpose was to break the children and mold them into soldiers. Paragnosky was the head of ONI and she was seen as the boogey man of the UNSC. Hiding anything from her like cloning when ONI agents were involved in the kidnappings is BS and besides ONI stands for the office of naval intelligence. Their job is find out what is going on in and out of UNSC space.

Mendez... Mendez... Mendez.

He has no right to stand as judge of Halsey as guess what Mendez did shortly after the Spartan-II program. The brain child of Ackerson or as it is more commonly known the Spartan-III program and he trained orphans to be thrown into a meat grinder. Say what you will about the ethics of the Spartan-II program and while the orphans may have given "consent". Two compies of 300 children, Alpha and Bravo company which is a grand total of 600 children lives lost. Tell me how he has any right to walk free while Halsey is in chains?

One goes down, the rest who were involved no matter how minor should as well.
Okay, so Glasslands is a so-so book. It had interesting concepts introduced for setting up a postwar full of opportunities, but ultimately was in the hands of a poor author who was vindictive.

Regardless of Karen Travis' inability for nuance and overabundance to beat a dead horse, Dr. Catherine Halsey deserved to be arrested ONI for stealing military assets and kidnapping them during humanity's darkest hour. Travis isn't completely wrong, she just sucks at writing and is overzealous in her arguments.

The Halo community has seemed divided on this issue since it came out because Halsey created the Spartan program and that lead to saving humanity. The good does not wash out the bad.

How many lives could have been saved if Blue Team wasn't lured to Onyx and everything else with The Battle of Earth played out?
And if blue team stays on earth a covenant fleet gets access to forerunner tech
Agreed OP. Halsey deserves all the hate she gets. She could claim the "for the greater good" argument, but that's a logical fallacy. The Spartan's were created to crush human rebellion. Fighting the Covenant was just a convenient way to justify her actions after the fact. The truth of the matter is humanity would have lost big time if the Spartan's didn't exist, but to retroactively apply that justification to the program does a disservice to the candidates who were kidnapped and brainwashed to fight the Insurrection.

Traviss was a bit extreme in her obsessive hatred of Halsey, which is justified to an extend. But I too was confused at the lack of hatred for the other involved parties. Parangosky was still favored by Osman and Mendez has been universally loved by just about everyone who comes across him, despite him being in lockstep with the goals of the program. I mean I wasn't expecting a public hanging of all involved parties, but Traviss could have at least done a better job acknowledging just how horrible everyone was to be a part of that program. Mendez does get a little introspective while in the Onyx shield world, but there wasn't much more than that.

Halsey actually points this out to Palmer during Escalation (one of the few highlights from that series). I loved that she finally got to lay into the arrogant Palmer and point out that ONI was with her every step of the way.

Regardless of Karen Travis' inability for nuance and overabundance to beat a dead horse, Dr. Catherine Halsey deserved to be arrested ONI for stealing military assets and kidnapping them during humanity's darkest hour. Travis isn't completely wrong, she just sucks at writing and is overzealous in her arguments.

The Covenant invasion force would be trapped inside Onyx and the actual Fleet of ships would be handily destroyed by the Sentinel Defense system. That Covenant faction was instantly irrelevant in the post-war 2553. None of this still washes out the actual crime of kidnapping military assets on the eve of battle

The Covenant invasion force would be trapped inside Onyx and the actual Fleet of ships would be handily destroyed by the Sentinel Defense system. That Covenant faction was instantly irrelevant in the post-war 2553. None of this still washes out the actual crime of kidnapping military assets on the eve of battle
She only kidnapped kelly,she convinced hood to send the others
l Chaos I wrote:

Do see the comparison? I don't care about Halsey and never will, but if one gets arrested. Then what about the ones who approved the Spartan-II program and the other whose purpose was to break the children and mold them into soldiers. Paragnosky was the head of ONI and she was seen as the boogey man of the UNSC. Hiding anything from her like cloning when ONI agents were involved in the kidnappings is BS and besides ONI stands for the office of naval intelligence. Their job is find out what is going on in and out of UNSC space.

He has no right to stand as judge of Halsey as guess what Mendez did shortly after the Spartan-II program. The brain child of Ackerson or as it is more commonly known the Spartan-III program and he trained orphans to be thrown into a meat grinder. Say what you will about the ethics of the Spartan-II program and while the orphans may have given "consent". Two compies of 300 children, Alpha and Bravo company which is a grand total of 600 children lives lost. Tell me how he has any right to walk free while Halsey is in chains?

There's no doubt if an official inquiry into Spartan II were pursued there would be a rather long list of individuals brought up on charges, not just Halsey. It's 2019, and there are still searches for Nazi party members from 1945.
l Chaos I wrote:

There's no doubt if an official inquiry into Spartan II were pursued there would be a rather long list of individuals brought up on charges, not just Halsey. It's 2019, and there are still searches for Nazi party members from 1945.
Absolutely, I'm not doubting the dubious legality of the Spartan II & III program. I have no doubt Hood also had the knowledge and unsaid blessing of the entire thing (See reaction to Sangheili Peace Treaty in Kilo 5). My point is Halsey still kidnapped a military asset on the eve of Humanity's last stand. As far as military legality goes this is cut and dry infraction of the law. It is known Halsey tricked Hood to send Blue Team in order to save them, not to reclaim Forerunner artifacts we know this because of her POV. She knew Onyx was a bomb shelter, nothing more and lured them regardless. Now legally proving that is difficult and messy at best, but her stealing Kelly is cut and dry and is even described in the after action report of First Strike, so her actions are known to ONI and its kind of out there in the open for her to be arrested, so any defense of her on this front I don't think holds water. Its just a pretty good power move by ONI also.