Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Hardlight weapons

OP BetrayFate

I was thinking aboutbthe kinetic bolt attachment on weapons in warzone and wondered how powerful hardlight projectiles are compared to normal bullets or plasma projectiles does anyone know if any bits of lore explain how powerful they are in canon?
IIRC the kinetic bolt attachment on UNSC weapons doesn't make them fire purely hardlight rounds, but rather coats the standard ammunition in hardlight as it exits the barrel. I imagine the benefit would be adding more energy to the rounds without increasing their mass (since light is massless). As hardlight is a technology that has yet to be fully reverse engineered by either humanity or the Covenant, I imagine that the technology behind it makes it much more advanced and powerful that either ballistic or plasma weaponry. Hardlight is a more versatile material and has more potential energy than bullets.
BetrayFate wrote:
I was thinking aboutbthe kinetic bolt attachment on weapons in warzone and wondered how powerful hardlight projectiles are compared to normal bullets or plasma projectiles does anyone know if any bits of lore explain how powerful they are in canon?
I think the idea behind sheathing a bullet in Hard Light is that it drastically improves the penetration, because the Hard Light sheath maintains its shape as it passes through the target, which is why it's more effective against vehicles than the normal ammunition used by the UNSC.