Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Here's a potentially viable Theory about Johnson

OP MAJ L Starns

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So why does everyone think that Sergeant didn't survive the destruction/activation of another Halo?

Is it really so unbelievable that Johnson, who is confirmed in Canon to have UNIQUE Regenerative Capabilities after his encounter with the flood, and also has dormant and non-infectious flood DNA in his blood stream (First Strike). Would be able to regenerate enough to regain consciousness and make his way out of the control room after chief leaves, just because something fell in front of him and the control room was damaged doesn't mean that when the doors closed that the panel immediately went crashing down into the abyss. There was also a railing that could've caught his body and maybe even the shock from the extra pain of that happening jolted him back into consciousness.

On the note of him 'dying' visibly. Perhaps he passed out from the sheer pain of a laser punching a hole into his chest which was only now starting make itself known to him after his body's endorphins initial pain relief wore off and increased his immune response... being his regenerative capabilities that taxed his consciousness so much that he fell asleep, making it look like he died, perhaps his bodily functions seemed to stop completely just to dedicate everything to the immune response? His wound was undoubtedly cauterized so he couldn't have died of bloodloss and he was able to talk, wasn't bleeding out of the mouth and wasn't immediately killed by the laser, so it didn't damage his heart or lungs.

AND TO ADD TO THIS THEORY OF HIS SURVIVAL... there was two doors at the end of the hallway in Halo 3. One lead to the control room, who is to say that the other door didn't lead into a room filled with Forerunner Timelock Slipspace Field Pods with a nigh-impenetrable casing which was most likely designed to survive the activation of a Halo Array. However. This Halo did not fire correctly, as it wasn't finished. And it was falling apart during the entire charging process. I personally believe that the halo did not fire, it simply released all the energy it had built up to actually fire when it collapsed beyond the point of return. The destructive force of the Halo firing was only enough to damage the primary function of the Ark... which was to create the Halos... and it also failed to cleanse all of the flood on the ark.

Now Johnson, who managed to force his way through the collapsing Halo and made his way through the opposite door which was locked for gameplay reasons, opens for canon reasons, this man... who was beaten down by a laser cheapshot but healing and mobile made his way to the Slipspace Field Pods to escape the blast, unfortunately Halo Explodes and sends the pod out into the depths of space. These pods are not really build up in lore and only have one appearance in Canon, but they are used as cover from various types of explosives and weapons fire without even a scratch on them... Perhaps there are Halo Pulse Nullification fields in/on these Slipspace Field Pods. There are some on the Shield Worlds, as they are referred to as Bomb Shelters to survive the activation of the Halo Array in to prevent the mass death of all organic life inside, although the Forerunners were unable to use these Shield Worlds because their locations were broadcasted by Medicant Bias to the Gravemind. But if the Halo Array functions as intended, then I doubt the Shield Worlds wouldn't... since you know... the didact was alive inside of Requiem, inside of a Cryptum.

That ends my theory. SN: 48789-20114-AJ is lost in space inside of a fancy Slipspace pod... Or belongs to ONI now.

End Report
Codename: PLAGUE DOCTOR.
Spartan 1's never die!
1. Stop with these revival stuff. I honestly find these threads nonsense in nature and would only hurt Halo's story.
2. Johnson died before Chief's eyes, succumbed to his wounds. You're stating that he revived because he has Flood DNA? Hosts don't revive, and much less if they're not being infected.
3. You're telling me that he regained consciousness literally 10 or so seconds after passing out? Seems rather strange, even for a Spartan.
4. You theorize that there's some sort of Forerunner teleporter or something in the locked door we can't access, but that's extremely unlikely. It'd also be dumb design.
5. You say that the Ark's primary function, to build Halos, was compromised due to the firing of Installation 04B, yet Installation 04C was built in around 7 years.
6. If the Halo didn't cleanse the Flood from the Ark, we'd have no Ark for Halo Wars 2. The only Flood thing that survived the firing was in High Charity, which was contained and evolved through what it could use. The Halo fired and it wiped the Flood, but didn't survive due to being incomplete.
7. You pretty much believe that these pods, which, as you say, have only one appearance in canon, have immunity to the firing of the Halos. I can't get behind the thought process for this one... Plus, he'd have to figure how to use them in the first place, and I believe the manuals are written in glyphs.
8. The platform his body was on literally tilted and he slid down. If he got consciousness from the extra pain, it'd be when he beat his head in the walls of the control room. The room was already collapsing when gameplay started.
9. If he survived, why wouldn't he tell Chief and Arby via Coms? And how wouldn't Cortana detect him?
Your theory is based pretty much on extreme luck and improbabilities, which I can never find to be believable.
We don't need ANOTHER thread about it because someone can't deal with a good character actually dying. Do you really want him coming back after having such a great death? We got Cortana back, look at how well THAT panned out.

He's dead. Get over it.

Want to write your own crazy fanfiction where he survives? There's the Community Creations subforum or any number of fiction posting sites.
Thowing my two cents in with SilentRebel38 and ManiacalSpark above... threads about "Johnson could have survived" or "Noble Six is alive in a cave", for example, get very tiresome. As I've said on other threads like this, let the dead stay dead. Both characters have been listed canonically as dead (I know you aren't asking about Noble Six. That's just a similar topic that has been brought up before as well). Sure 343 could retcon it, but that would set a dangerous precedent for lore going forward. All previous lore would be up for debate, and those debates would inevitably devolve into "well yeah, but 343 could just change [insert lore here]".

Johnson had one heck of a send off. Noble Six had one heck of a send off. Cortana had one heck of a send off. One of these three deaths was robbed of all impact by future lore, and I don't see any reason why the other two wouldn't be ruined either.
Johnson died in front of Master Chief after being shot with a weapon designed to kill Flood. He was then in the middle of an explosion that nearly destroyed the Ark. There is 0% chance of Johnson surviving in any way that doesn't completely undermine the stakes and weaken the entire story.
So why does everyone think that Sergeant didn't survive the destruction/activation of another Halo?

I cut the non important stuff so I can answer your question directly:
Why? Because it was confirmed, that's why.
He's just as dead as Noble 6. Get over it dude.
MAJ L Starns
Nice theories. It'd be kinda cool if his survival was lead-in to another short game, but it was also kimda ruin his iconic death. That these other 2 hold so close to thier halo hearts. A lot of people would have to agree with them. But everyone is partial to thier own opinions and I give you credit for posting yours. =]
Okay solved it. Johnson was shot by Guilty Spark with a slow acting, localised Composer; and his essence is in Guilty Spark, Johnson comes back as a hard-light construct like Cortana.
He's dead. It's been confirmed he and Noble 6 are dead. Why does everyone keep bringing this up?
He's dead. It's been confirmed he and Noble 6 are dead. Why does everyone keep bringing this up?
Welcome to the Waypoint forums. Where the same dozen topics are regurgitated like clockwork every couple of weeks.
He's dead. It's been confirmed he and Noble 6 are dead. Why does everyone keep bringing this up?
Welcome to the Waypoint forums. Where the same dozen topics are regurgitated like clockwork every couple of weeks.
You must be experiencing a Forerunner Crystal induced time distortion... I swear it's every two days!

Yeah... he's dead (until he's not). Even Frankie's tweet about it was a pure hypothetical and does not change the canonical position.

As I've previously pointed out though... Hunters in the Dark proves he can't have still been on the Ark if he did survive or he would have been used to activate the array.
Regardless of the backlash you got for an obviously very creative thought process for his survival, I enjoyed reading it. It’s always fun to see some creativity when it comes to scenarios and in fiction anything is possible.
MorseyBaby wrote:
He's dead. It's been confirmed he and Noble 6 are dead. Why does everyone keep bringing this up?
Welcome to the Waypoint forums. Where the same dozen topics are regurgitated like clockwork every couple of weeks.
You must be experiencing a Forerunner Crystal induced time distortion... I swear it's every two days!

Yeah... he's dead (until he's not). Even Frankie's tweet about it was a pure hypothetical and does not change the canonical position.

As I've previously pointed out though... Hunters in the Dark proves he can't have still been on the Ark if he did survive or he would have been used to activate the array.
Oh snap! Imma do a Locklear and stupidly get myself killed while trying to destroy it.
JNDreher wrote:
Johnson died in front of Master Chief after being shot with a weapon designed to kill Flood. He was then in the middle of an explosion that nearly destroyed the Ark. There is 0% chance of Johnson surviving in any way that doesn't completely undermine the stakes and weaken the entire story.
Agree completely with this sentiment. As much as I enjoyed Johnson's character, his death made that moment in Halo 3 sad, but epic. Bringing him back would effectively nullify that and make the story of Halo 3 suffer to all who know he comes back. It would also make Johnson a meme for never being able to die...surrounded by Flood who decide he's not adequate for food, get shot with advanced alien race lasers to the dome, chilling during the Ark explosion...

At some point, the UNSC would realize there's no need for other Spartans, just send Johnson. Literally can't die.
UK1V wrote:
Regardless of the backlash you got for an obviously very creative thought process for his survival, I enjoyed reading it. It’s always fun to see some creativity when it comes to scenarios and in fiction anything is possible.
stckrboy wrote:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/characters/avery-johnson
Quote:
BORN:
CLASSIFIEDDIED:
DECEMBER 11, 2552
He's dead. It's been confirmed he and Noble 6 are dead. Why does everyone keep bringing this up?
Yall complaining but nobody's posted a link to those conversations. I think people like to discuss what could have happened and I mean that what forums are for. Not everyone knows the complete lore when they first come to the forums. My hope is that people respond positively to people's interest in the topics even if they are wrong (based on the current lore).

Also, to add to this thread, technically if he's dead it doesn't mean that he hasn't been or wasn't scanned into the domain. No one has confirmed that yet. So as per the frankie tweet refered to above. He's dead, but it doesn't mean you won't see him in the lore before his death...
Because people get really, really tired of seeing other people posting the same threads over and over and over again, mainly because those people are just stubborn and can't accept that a character is dead. It is annoying on top of all the years old topics that get bumped by new users because they don't bother to check the timestamp (and because all threads over six months old don't, for some reason, get auto-locked to prevent that from happening).

If the kid wants to write his own little fiction about Johnson surviving, then Community Creations of Fanfiction.Net or any other number of sites he can use to write it, but it's very tiresome to see the same threads repeated over and over again.
1. Stop with these revival stuff. I honestly find these threads nonsense in nature and would only hurt Halo's story.
2. Johnson died before Chief's eyes, succumbed to his wounds. You're stating that he revived because he has Flood DNA? Hosts don't revive, and much less if they're not being infected.
3. You're telling me that he regained consciousness literally 10 or so seconds after passing out? Seems rather strange, even for a Spartan.
4. You theorize that there's some sort of Forerunner teleporter or something in the locked door we can't access, but that's extremely unlikely. It'd also be dumb design.
5. You say that the Ark's primary function, to build Halos, was compromised due to the firing of Installation 04B, yet Installation 04C was built in around 7 years.
6. If the Halo didn't cleanse the Flood from the Ark, we'd have no Ark for Halo Wars 2. The only Flood thing that survived the firing was in High Charity, which was contained and evolved through what it could use. The Halo fired and it wiped the Flood, but didn't survive due to being incomplete.
7. You pretty much believe that these pods, which, as you say, have only one appearance in canon, have immunity to the firing of the Halos. I can't get behind the thought process for this one... Plus, he'd have to figure how to use them in the first place, and I believe the manuals are written in glyphs.
8. The platform his body was on literally tilted and he slid down. If he got consciousness from the extra pain, it'd be when he beat his head in the walls of the control room. The room was already collapsing when gameplay started.
9. If he survived, why wouldn't he tell Chief and Arby via Coms? And how wouldn't Cortana detect him?
Your theory is based pretty much on extreme luck and improbabilities, which I can never find to be believable.
No. I'm saying he survived because he has regenerative capabilities canonically. which was granted to him as a side-effect from the dormant flood DNA in his blood that mixed with his Spartan-I augmentations... This regeneration is something that he was confirmed to have by a no-nonsense and pretty much sociopathic scientist who created the Spartan-IIs.

Hell the Medlers could've saved him. CHIPS DUBBO COULD'VE SAVED HIM.

Y'all are animals. You don't even have anything to contribute to this conversation and just come in here to try and shut down my theory without offering a counter-argument as to how impossible it is. They bring back Cortana. They bring back Chips. They bring back Stacker. Then you guys say:

"Oh yeah. He passed out and we assumed he died but since Chief basically saw him close his eyes it was confirmed that he was dead at that date."

I mean. Chief was confirmed KIA until he impossibly came back to the land of the living in Halo 4, just so happening to impossibly run into the UNSC Infinity, the impossibly conveniently located Flagship of the UNSC that impossibly stumbled onto Requiem located god knows where in or out of the galaxy.

Then they bring Cortana back in Halo 5 after she dies in Halo 4. Literally the game after.

They could do the same with Johnson. Given his abilities. It's like Frank O'Connor didn't even remember that Johnson had "unique regenerative abilities" (Confirmed in Halo: First Strike). It'd be more believable too. Since his body wasn't blasted into millions of shards of data.

Nothing any of you said even remotely disproves my theory and you don't even state HOW it could POSSIBLY detract from the story.

P.S. Installation 09 was created in 7 years because the Ark was damaged and there was a book that involved Tragic Solitude 000 (Monitor of the Ark) going rampant and opening the portal on earth to harvest it for resources to repair the ark as an act of revenge. Humanity then had to go through the portal to stop the Halo Array from being remotely fired. Also explains to you why there is/was a human presence on the Ark in Halo Wars 2. (Isabel)

The forerunner glass of the control room had railings at the edges. He didn't slide down. He slid to the side of the main room's platform, we lost view before he reached the edge. So I am THEORIZING that he could've survived. Because you can't say he fell, and I can't say he didn't. I'm just PUTTING IT OUT THERE, THAT HE POSSIBLY DIDN'T FALL.

The interference from the Halo's Harmonic Frequencies could've easily interfered with the radio and denied him access to communicate with the Arbiter or Chief. Since the ring itself was unstable, it was very likely the Harmonic Frequencies interfered more than usual.

I also stated that these pods could possibly have immunity from the Activation of the Halos and the reasoning as to why I believe that to be so. They were located in a shield world. Perhaps they were a second option or the primary reason that any host would survive the activation of the halo. These are Time-Locked Slipspace Portals. They prevent aging. They prevent time from passing. The reason they exist is more than likely to reseed the planets that life was WIPED FROM. The fact is, all the bodies weren't destroyed when the halo fired, their nervous systems were destroyed though. So they'd have to wait for the galactic-wide mass grave to completely decompose before being reseeded on their home worlds. More than likely taking decades, if not hundreds of years. I don't know if that was touched on in lore though. I don't remember if the process of reseeding worlds was automated or done by the life-workers of the forerunners.

Hell, if time doesn't pass in these tiny bubbles of slipspace, then I don't think the Halo Array's pulse would effect the occupant for reasons that are too difficult to explain accurately.

Mendicant Bias could've opened the pod for him before the halo was destroyed, a form of penance. Mendicant could've easily guided him to the room. He could've 'unlocked' the door to the pods.
stckrboy wrote:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/characters/avery-johnson
Quote:
BORN:
CLASSIFIEDDIED:
DECEMBER 11, 2552
Idk if you remember this, but the Masterchief was also declared KIA at the Hillside Memorial in Halo 3.

He is very much alive, and your Halowaypoint page information does not dispute my theory in any way due to existing examples of people declared KIA and surviving impossible odds... like manually detonating a Tactical Nuke... by hand. (Halo 4 btw.)

https://www.halopedia.org/HAVOK_tactical_nuclear_weapon
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3