Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How big is the Banished fleet?

OP Volize

Where was the Banished Fleet in Halo Wars 2? It seems like the Enduring Conviction was the only ship that the Banished used in the game. There's no way a faction as strong as the Banished could only use one ship.
Volize wrote:
Where was the Banished Fleet in Halo Wars 2? It seems like the Enduring Conviction was the only ship that the Banished used in the game. There's no way a faction as strong as the Banished could only use one ship.
During the cutscene when Let 'Volir is kneeling in front of Atriox, there are several battlecruisers surrounding his flagship.

Although where they are now is anyones guess.
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:
During the cutscene when Let 'Volir is kneeling in front of Atriox, there are several battlecruisers surrounding his flagship.

Yeah, I noticed that. Perhaps the Enduring Conviction was the only ship deployed to the Ark?
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that. Perhaps the Enduring Conviction was the only ship deployed to the Ark?
Let 'Volir running abilities in the game seem to center around teleportation and stealth, so I don't think it would be too outside the realm of possibility for him to have some stealth ships in the area. They exist in lore, though you don't see many from the covenant perspective.

We also don't know what the Human presence was on the arc yet. It would be silly to think that after what went down in Halo 3 and Hunters in the Dark that the UNSC would not have small fleet stationed there. Maybe there was a battle with mass casualties on both sides. Who knows :)

However, for story sake, he cant have much if any of his fleet in the area when Spirit of Fire is the only human ship in the story right now. The fact that the Assault Carrier didn't snipe it with an Energy projector is already enough plot armor to be distracting.
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Let 'Volir running abilities in the game seem to center around teleportation and stealth, so I don't think it would be too outside the realm of possibility for him to have some stealth ships in the area. They exist in lore, though you don't see many from the covenant perspective.

We also don't know what the Human presence was on the arc yet. It would be silly to think that after what went down in Halo 3 and Hunters in the Dark that the UNSC would not have small fleet stationed there. Maybe there was a battle with mass casualties on both sides. Who knows :)

However, for story sake, he cant have much if any of his fleet in the area when Spirit of Fire is the only human ship in the story right now. The fact that the Assault Carrier didn't snipe it with an Energy projector is already enough plot armor to be distracting.
Yeah. The Enduring Conviction didn't do much to engage the Spirit of Fire. It only deployed Banshees.
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Cortana could've EMPed the other ships in the banished fleet with the guardians
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

That was after the great schism when the ship was still part of a fleet. The fleet had been in a recent battle, and the leader of the banished Atriox had been captured or so it was believed. We know though that the shipmaster had joined forces with the banised, and the other ships of that fleet actually started to engage it.
Nebula SK wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

That was after the great schism when the ship was still part of a fleet. The fleet had been in a recent battle, and the leader of the banished Atriox had been captured or so it was believed. We know though that the shipmaster had joined forces with the banised, and the other ships of that fleet actually started to engage it.
Source? I'd like to read up on that!
Deagrok wrote:
Nebula SK wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Source? I'd like to read up on that!
Griffith
You can also read the phoenix logs
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Perhaps the Banished fleet was reduced from their original numbers to just the CAS Assault Carrier over the course of several battles, culminating in their battle to take the Ark. It could be that the Enduring Conviction has damage we didn't see, so the Banished aren't eager to put it in combat again until it is repaired, even a combat it could easily win.

We don't know the canonical reason, but I think I'll use that explanation for myself until we learn more, because I like it better than just saying the Spirit of Fire has plot armor.
I mean how does the Spirit of Fire still have a large amount of forces even after Halo Wars 1??? I'm kidding, but most likely the Shipmaster sends for more troops every now and then.
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

I hadn't noticed. I assumed Atriox only took the Enduring Conviction to the Ark while the rest of the Banished waited back in the galaxy.
Judging by the tactics of Atriox and the Banished I wouldn't think they would've a big fleet in general. His tactics of shock and awe coupled with the devestating upgrades he has made to his weapons ,vehicles and troops, he wouldn't need scores of ships.

Enduring conviction may have been deployed on her own as he would have taken into account the demilitaries zone around the Ark and that the only know ships which could counter it, the Shadow of Intent and the Infinity are too busy to be immediately avalible. The rest of the banished ships, Battlecruisers, destroyers etc maybe organised into small raiding groups for hitting supply depots and searching for other Forerunner tech caches.

I would guess if the whole banished fleet was assembled pre HW2 it may have been about 45-50 ships mostly corvettes support ships and destroyers as those classes were the ones brutes tended to command with a few cruisers either seized or converted and the Enduring Conviction which broke away on its own from its fleet.
Judging by the tactics of Atriox and the Banished I would think they would have had a big fleet in general. Instead between his tactics of shock and awe coupled with the desvetating upgrades he has made to his weapons and vehicles and troops, he wouldn't need scores of ships.

Enduring conviction may have been deployed on her own as he would have taken into account the demilitaries zone around the Ark and that the only know ships which could counter it, the Shadow of Intent and the Infinity are too busy to be immediately avalible. The rest of the banished ships, Battlecruisers, destroyers etc maybe organised into small raiding groups for hitting supply depots and searching for other Forerunner tech caches.

I would guess if the whole banished fleet was assembled pre HW2 it may have been about 45-50 ships mostly corvettes support ships and destroyers as those classes were the ones brutes tended to command with a few cruisers either seized or converted and the Enduring Conviction which broke away on its own from its fleet.
Very interesting to think about. I hope we get some sort of confirmation on how big the fleet really is.
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Yeah. The Enduring Conviction didn't do much to engage the Spirit of Fire. It only deployed Banshees.
Deagrok wrote:

I've actually addressed this point before, so I'll just repost what I said before:

Here's why the Enduring Conviction didn't engage the Spirit of Fire more directly, and I think it is a pretty solid explanation, so here goes: In the Halo CE novelization, Covenant ships avoided using plasma torpedoes (at least for a time anyways) for fear a stray torpedo could damage Alpha Halo. Maybe the Banished were exercising similar precaution, as a missed shot could hit the Ark and force its defenses to activate (which is exactly what Isabel intended to do when she gained control of it). So they decided to go for a more precise and surgical strike, by launching its banshees instead to pick the SOF apart piece by piece. I think this also answers the question as to why Enduring Conviction never just incinerated SOF forces on the ground...because likely knew that using too much power would force the Ark's defenses against them...which is exactly what Isabel did to destroy it. Plus the fact that the Banished already suffered numerous casualties to the Ark's sentinels, it would make sense that they wouldn't want to piss them off any more than they already have.
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:
Deagrok wrote:
Volize wrote:

Deagrok wrote:

I've actually addressed this point before, so I'll just repost what I said before:

Here's why the Enduring Conviction didn't engage the Spirit of Fire more directly, and I think it is a pretty solid explanation, so here goes: In the Halo CE novelization, Covenant ships avoided using plasma torpedoes (at least for a time anyways) for fear a stray torpedo could damage Alpha Halo. Maybe the Banished were exercising similar precaution, as a missed shot could hit the Ark and force its defenses to activate (which is exactly what Isabel intended to do when she gained control of it). So they decided to go for a more precise and surgical strike, by launching its banshees instead to pick the SOF apart piece by piece. I think this also answers the question as to why Enduring Conviction never just incinerated SOF forces on the ground...because likely knew that using too much power would force the Ark's defenses against them...which is exactly what Isabel did to destroy it. Plus the fact that the Banished already suffered numerous casualties to the Ark's sentinels, it would make sense that they wouldn't want to piss them off any more than they already have.
Thank you! I was really wondering this and hoping somebody better versed than I would explain it a bit.
Crap I didn't even realize this was an old topic, my bad on the nercoposting.

But otherwise, glad I could explain it for someone. Mind you, it still speculation, but I think it's a pretty solid one.
it might just have been the ship that Atriox was on during Halo Wars 2