Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How did Atriox's hand nerf an energy sword?

OP Annex Angel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I just chalk it up to artistic license. It's a really cool scene and well constructed by the devs who made it.

And if we wanna get technical with canon, this whole cut scene is told from Isabel's perspective. She wasn't there to personally witness Atriox's defiance. She's just telling the story as she knows it to be true. The flashbacks in the cut scene could easily be construed as how she pictures them going down, or even how the people she is talking to picture it happening.
That's reasonable, but still without that being explained anywhere even outside of the game is upsetting it's kind of like the halo 4 nano bots thing but if 343 didn't give an explanation ever to it and left us in the dark
Did you see my response to your OP?
And from everything we understand about the mechanics of an energy sword, it can detect if it's in contact with a living organism or a solid.
I'm curious about this comment. I'm not familiar with the lore that states or implies this.
Quote:
The weapon also kills on touch not necessarily like a traditional sword or lightsaber, where something vital must be hit, it's more like an energy shock of plasma radiation (most likely) that kills the target.
I think this is a misconception. In the novel Halo: Hunters in the Dark, there's a Spartan-IV named Frank Kodiak who lost one of his arms to an energy sword during the Human-Covenant War. He replaced it with a prosthetic, but he endured the dismemberment while he was still a normal, un-augmented human.

Remember, gameplay is not equal to canon.
Quote:
that being said Atriox having the massive hands of the brute that he does, is either A: missing like half of the fingers on his right arm and had to get parts of it replaced or something (but this would break everything we know about energy swords) or B: The cutscene was flawed and not lore accurate... what do you guys think? let me know?
Jiralhanae skin is exceptionally thick and durable. It can withstand being shot by nearly an entire magazine of 7.62 rounds in some cases, and it protects a Jiralhanae from plasma weaponry too.

In chapter 16 of the novel Halo: Broken Circle, one of the guardians of the Elite High Councilors uses dual energy swords to attack a Brute Captain. He manages to cut into the Captain's ribs and slash at one of his ankles, but doesn't kill him. In fact, the Brute in question is described as "far from mortally wounded" after receiving the cut to his ribs.

Atriox's hand would have been singed, maybe even seriously burned, but he wasn't in danger of his life.
Yes I did read this, I was mainly implying a plasma sword upon today's science how one in real life would act... Plasma would disperse thought the body upon impact looking somthing between an electrocution and what it looks like when people put on the infinity gauntlet with all the infinity stones...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2