Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] How did the covenant learn english

OP EdgeHedgehog

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
We all know that the covenant doesnt speak english so,how have they learned it.
In an book it has been stated that an special group of elites and grunts where allowed to study the human language.
I mean you can teach an person to say an specific sentence but if he dont understand the meaning behind the words they are useless for them.
It varies from source to source.

UNSC Translation software translates it in some instances, and in others its a case of the Covenant learning the language to taunt us in our own tongue.

Basically, however, its whatever makes for the most interesting experience at the time from a design/writing viewpoint.
Grunts learned to speak English and other human languages during the war, I would assume the other races did as well.
AlertFiend wrote:
Grunts learned to speak English and other human languages during the war, I would assume the other races did as well.
Of course they did but did they know the meaning behind the words,and how did they learned this meanings?Learning a language is one thing ,the understanding the other.
In an book it has been stated that an special group of elites and grunts where allowed to study the human language.
I mean you can teach an person to say an specific sentence but if he dont understand the meaning behind the words they are useless for them.
Grunts would trade human transmissions and media on their own black market. That probably played some role in it.
The Sorge wrote:
Grunts would trade human transmissions and media on their own black market. That probably played some role in it.
But again the understanding is the problem I want to know how the covenant learnd the meaning behind the words?
The Sorge wrote:
But again the understanding is the problem I want to know how the covenant learnd the meaning behind the words?
I'd say it's similar to how dogs can understand their owners' commands. They don't know the actual meaning of the words themselves, they just associate words with something comprehendible to them that the word seems to mean.
Being at war with a species for 27 years, they're bound to have gained knowledge of the enemies' language after constant exposure to it. As people have listed above, they all had plenty of reasons for learning it, and plenty of means to do so.
Do humans talk Covenant languages, just like Covenant speaks English? And why they speak English for each other?

I think don't think it's just gameplay thing because they could speak their own language with English subtitles.
Do humans talk Covenant languages, just like Covenant speaks English? And why they speak English for each other?

I think don't think it's just gameplay thing because they could speak their own language with English subtitles.
They probably shared teachings within sangheili and human languages and cultures
How does anyone learn any language
translation software from ONI
translation software from ONI

Last time they spoke Sangheili everyone cried that the Grunts weren't funny. So with a top down order the Grunts and rest of the covenant were made to speak English again.
They don't - you've learnt to speak Covenantese without realising. 😉
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
No you dont have said that the covenant speak Coventese.
This is the same as I would say americans speak americanese.
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
yeah I know. Just a joke bud.
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
I know nearly as terrible as one of my jokes.
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
BL0ODY JAW wrote:
I know nearly as terrible as one of my jokes.
Bad jokes are the best ones 😉
The Sorge wrote:
How do analysts translate ancient human languages in the real world? Through the identification and analysis of patterns.

In the Halo Universe, the Covenant studied Human languages. Likewise Humanity developed translation software through the analysis of Covenant languages.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2