Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How Did Valhalla Get to Requiem?

OP ComicBeast1212

Alright, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but it's always been in the back of my head, nagging me.

In Halo 3, the map Valhalla was based on the Ark. Enter Halo 4, where the exact same location is now on Requiem. Now this could completely understandable if it was kept to multiplayer map, but it was implemented into Spartan Ops, a part of the Halo storyline. The mission even labels the area specifically as Valhalla.

So, what's the explanation behind this?

P.S. (A bit off-topic, too) For those of you wondering what the MP map title 'Ragnarok' comes from, Ragnarok was pretty much the apocalypse in Norse mythology. In the Marvel universe, a villain by the name of Ragnorok was a clone of Thor, so I kinda took that as why the remake was named that. That probably isn't the reason, but hey. :P
They're artificial environments created by the Forerunner. I'm sure they both just share the same template. I mean, why do Blood Gulch and Coagulation look so similar even though one is Installation 04 and the other is Installation 05? They were just made that way on purpose.
They're artificial environments created by the Forerunner. I'm sure they both just share the same template. I mean, why do Blood Gulch and Coagulation look so similar even though one is Installation 04 and the other is Installation 05? They were just made that way on purpose.
They might be created, but why do they need to exactly replicate the location, especially when the installations they're on serve two completely different purposes?

As for your argument that Blood Gulch and Coagulation are "so similar", they're not as similar as you might think: The structures and the terrain are actually quite different. Not to mention the installations they're on, while different, still serve the same purpose.

EDIT: @Comic - Was it stated somewhere that the multiplayer maps in Halos 1-3 & Wars are canon?
Location is two giants in Spartan ops.
Different places, same layout, coincidentally the same crash too,

We treat maps canonically and they provide us some information,
http://www.halopedia.org/Heretic_(level)
"Because of its speed and luxury the Pious Inquisitor has become an irresistible prize during these dark times."
Kilo-Five trilogy.

EDIT: @Comic - Was it stated somewhere that the multiplayer maps in Halos 1-3 & Wars are canon?

No... <.<
I'm basing query off the fact that there's a map called 'Valhalla' and a Spartan Ops mission called 'Shootout in Valhalla'. That's what confuzzled me.
erickyboo wrote:
Location is two giants in Spartan ops.
Different places, same layout, coincidentally the same crash too,

We treat maps canonically and they provide us some information,
http://www.halopedia.org/Heretic_(level)
"Because of its speed and luxury the Pious Inquisitor has become an irresistible prize during these dark times."
Kilo-Five trilogy.
Like I said before to Rex above.
As a poster said, its possible they are built off of the same design blueprint.

It should also be noted that multiplayer maps pre-halo 4 are not necessarily canon, though often are. CE's the most obvious in that it has a human training grounds with teleporters, and a map with 2 pillar of autumns with giant holes in their sides (nor are they to scale).
It always got me that the the name of that mission had Valhalla in it, not raganarok. But was it actually mentioned why those 2 bases were there in the middle of a box canyon? (heh)
they bolth are com relays so they very well could be base of the same thing but on the other hand it is war game simulation soo...
Forerunners recycle a lot of building designs. The control room and the Library's interior on the Halo rings are nearly identical in some sections. I don't see why the forerunners wouldn't re-use designs on different locations.
Well, that location is on the Ark, maybe it was a favorite location of the Librarian's and the Didact remade it on Requiem if she ever visited it? A crapshoot answer, I know.
call me crazy but aren't all the maps on halo 4 simulations on the deck of the infinity.

They might be created, but why do they need to exactly replicate the location, especially when the installations they're on serve two completely different purposes?

As for your argument that Blood Gulch and Coagulation are "so similar", they're not as similar as you might think: The structures and the terrain are actually quite different. Not to mention the installations they're on, while different, still serve the same purpose.

It has not been stated anywhere that they are not canon; why would they not be?
call me crazy but aren't all the maps on halo 4 simulations on the deck of the infinity.
Sure, but Spartan Ops takes place on Requiem.
Yes. However, they are modelled after real locations in-universe. Monolith was modelled after a design found in Forerunner computers, Ragnarok after the Spartan Ops deployment(s), Spartan Assault/ Strike after real campaigns and operations, and so forth.
[Serendipitous] or [pleasing] patterns are often represented at different scales and locales, based on the tastes of the [pattern weaver] or as a result of [semi-stochastic] initial conditions inherent in the chosen template.