Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How does hardlight kill?

OP Lightblade47

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The projectiles fired from guns like the suppressor and boltshot. Does it burn its victims? Does it penetrate organs? Kill by radiation?
They're solid projectiles, so basically just like regular bullets except they're orange and shiny.
It depends which weapon your talking about. The Lightrifle Suppressor, and Boltshot all fire hardlight which is a solid projectile meaning it work work essentially like regular bullets. The Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon on the other hand fire Ionized Particles that essentially burn the victim.
So essentially any weapon that fires hard light, fires projectiles that fire like a bullet. It works I suppose, though if that was the case you would think the shots would go faster. It would seem analogous to being hit by a gun that fires homing rocks or something.
Think of a bullet that can not break and goes faster and is harder to stop.
Exenius wrote:
It depends which weapon your talking about. The Lightrifle Suppressor, and Boltshot all fire hardlight which is a solid projectile meaning it work work essentially like regular bullets. The Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon on the other hand fire Ionized Particles that essentially burn the victim.
Scattershot clearly fires projectiles like those from the LR, Suppressor and Boltshot, but it disentigrates people like the Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon. So I'm not sure if defining hard light as working like normal bullets is so cut and dry.
Maybe the shots from weapons like the suppressor disintegrate on a smaller scale?
Maybe the shots from weapons like the suppressor disintegrate on a smaller scale?
The Suppressor was used against the Flood and was used en masse. So it can be assumed it can to some extent.
Since they are made of light, I can imagine that the "bullets" can be sharpened down to a near atomic level basically being the ultimate armor piercing round and of course they can slice and rip apart your molecules with every hit!
If you can find a way to coax light molecules to form together and create mass, then find a way to launch it in a specific direction without dissipating, then they do work quite similar to bullets. The inherit energy of light vaporizes anything it touches, so with enough of them going downrange at once it can completely disintegrate a target. That is why the Scattershot disintegrates enemies even though the projectiles are similar to the loadout Forerunner weapons.
Less energy, less direct damage, yeah.
So essentially any weapon that fires hard light, fires projectiles that fire like a bullet. It works I suppose, though if that was the case you would think the shots would go faster. It would seem analogous to being hit by a gun that fires homing rocks or something.
I think the light rifle has a pretty much instant bullet travel time; making it so accurate.

The other two have homing abilities which complicates things. If the projectile was too fast I am guessing it wouldn't be able to have the homing kick in.

I mean that sounds really high tech, but I am guessing the "projectile" is in a light beam form and only solidifies to gain mass at the point of contact with the victims flesh. Meaning you can project the shot when it weighs nothing really fast and have it land like a truck when it hits the enemy. A bit like in Mass Effect where they can just warp physics to break natural laws.

Plus, the hard light probably still has some disintegration effect. As well as the heat and armour penetration ability; assuming the light can't just slide past those of the plate as somebody mentioned above. Or it could work a bit like a shaped charge they use in anti tank weapons where is burns a small hole in the armor and then disintegrates whats inside with a jet of "plasma".

I am guessing this works by punching this volatile substance into the body. Just like it could go from a light into a solid object, it now goes the other way and warps the victims body at the same time. Enough of these will just disintegrate the person into nothing.

I am assuming if you had gore, then a light rifle round would probably leave plate sized holes in people and sever limbs. A suppressor would leave them unrecognisable with saturated with bubble like holes resembling a block of cheese. Probably due to the rating that this isn't represented. :D But I'd insuinuate that's why some Promethean weapons don't appear to disintegrate people.
I would say it is at least a two Teir level of damage to a target. Firstly it's the penetration of the round into the target. I would assume that the light round breaks upon impact so it may start splintering within the target body resulting in multiple exit wounds of varied sizes and exit points.

Secondly it would be the burning from the heat generated by the round. Since it is harnessed energy it means that it would be radiating alot of heat. So that heat would not only cause localised 3rd degree burns but also cause severe burning to internal organs and may even continually burn at the point of entry.

Either way I think hardlight is really one of the worst ammo types used since it near enough laser focused incendiary rounds that still carries some properties of ballistic rounds.
I would say it is at least a two Teir level of damage to a target. Firstly it's the penetration of the round into the target. I would assume that the light round breaks upon impact so it may start splintering within the target body resulting in multiple exit wounds of varied sizes and exit points.

Secondly it would be the burning from the heat generated by the round. Since it is harnessed energy it means that it would be radiating alot of heat. So that heat would not only cause localised 3rd degree burns but also cause severe burning to internal organs and may even continually burn at the point of entry.

Either way I think hardlight is really one of the worst ammo types used since it near enough laser focused incendiary rounds that still carries some properties of ballistic rounds.
Yeah I mean these weapons were built to kill Flood. They're not at all humane and certainly things like avoiding unnecessary pain weren't the intent of the builders. They obviously wanted rifles that could completely destroy enemies that can have their limbs blown off and continue fighting, whose very presence poisons the air and who can come back if another infection form adds biomass. So they needed something that could pierce the hides of purestrain forms and physically destroy their entire body.

Yeah I mean these weapons were built to kill Flood. They're not at all humane and certainly things like avoiding unnecessary pain weren't the intent of the builders. They obviously wanted rifles that could completely destroy enemies that can have their limbs blown off and continue fighting, whose very presence poisons the air and who can come back if another infection form adds biomass. So they needed something that could pierce the hides of purestrain forms and physically destroy their entire body.
Yeah that much is true. Still is one hell of a round.
Yeah when you fight Flood you're going for maximum overkill. I mean all the UNSC weapons were probably built with human opponents in mind and so would have had similar limitations put on how horrible things get for the Insurrectionist on the other side.

Its a shame the suppressor stats in game are so bad. It really hurts having to cycle up the weapon and its homing is pretty bad. Might just be my impression but I always felt it was worse than the assault rifle.

The boltshot is really good in Arena, but I would never use one in Warzone.

But the Light Rifle is just a beast of a weapon. I'd say its even better than the DMR. But again, I will not pay REQ points for it when I could get a tank or mantis. Unless they've updated that recently? I noticed Mantis had went down.
The Sorge wrote:
They're solid projectiles, so basically just like regular bullets except they're orange and shiny.
One thing to keep in mind is that bullets can inflict damage in another way, outside of simply piercing the body and any internal organs it passes on the way through.

There's also the transfer of kinetic energy to consider. And while it's not as extreme as movies make it out to be, where people are flung back several feet after being shot, it's still worth mentioning. Go ahead and look up a bullet passing through ballistic gel in slow motion, and just watch the shockwaves.
Yeah when you fight Flood you're going for maximum overkill. I mean all the UNSC weapons were probably built with human opponents in mind and so would have had similar limitations put on how horrible things get for the Insurrectionist on the other side.

Its a shame the suppressor stats in game are so bad. It really hurts having to cycle up the weapon and its homing is pretty bad. Might just be my impression but I always felt it was worse than the assault rifle.

The boltshot is really good in Arena, but I would never use one in Warzone.

But the Light Rifle is just a beast of a weapon. I'd say its even better than the DMR. But again, I will not pay REQ points for it when I could get a tank or mantis. Unless they've updated that recently? I noticed Mantis had went down.
The suppressor isn't too bad it just is a first shot weapon and once you have locked on its tracking is pretty good. The other Req variants have better tracking. Never really used the boltshot so can't comment. The Light Rifle is also massively capable.
The Sorge wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that bullets can inflict damage in another way, outside of simply piercing the body and any internal organs it passes on the way through.

There's also the transfer of kinetic energy to consider. And while it's not as extreme as movies make it out to be, where people are flung back several feet after being shot, it's still worth mentioning. Go ahead and look up a bullet passing through ballistic gel in slow motion, and just watch the shockwaves.
This is a very very very good point. In real life ballistics you don't want the projectile flying clear thru the target; that'll bleed them out eventually but it won't stop them quickly in a combat situation. You want the rounds to stop inside the target and transfer their kinetic energy into the target, like you said. So it would then make sense that hardlight projectiles must be "smart" and know to stop their momentum inside the target, I'd think.

(Of course it introduces a whole other dynamic whether your target in question is armored or not...)
Just like a bullet, really.

I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm re-iterating.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3