Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How does Silent Storm break canon?

OP tuhin94

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
After a few books, I’ll be reading Silent Storm. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve seen some posts suggesting it breaks established canon and other suggesting those breaks, if there are any, are very minor. Can I get some comments regarding this? I don’t mind spoilers if they’re minor, but please do mention if there are any major plot points related to this.
The "First Strike" in First Strike is no longer the "First Strike" because this book would technically be their "First Strike." That's all I caught and it's a very minor issue. Then again I didn't notice any continuity errors in the Kilo 5 trilogy so I'm clearly very unobservant when it comes to this.
There really are no continuity errors, all that changed is the MC and Johnson met before reach.
The "First Strike" in First Strike is no longer the "First Strike" because this book would technically be their "First Strike." That's all I caught and it's a very minor issue. Then again I didn't notice any continuity errors in the Kilo 5 trilogy so I'm clearly very unobservant when it comes to this.
The first strike would have been retconned in GOO and it was only called first strike because they we're attacking the covenant before they could leave for Earth. As far as I know there are no continuity errors in the kilo 5 trilogy.
smasher555 wrote:
As far as I know there are no continuity errors in the kilo 5 trilogy.
I didn't notice any either. I read in some other thread though that Traviss changed other character's personalities to fit her extreme anti-Halsey view. Don't need to get into another discussion on that though. Overall I'm extremely impressed at how consistent the lore is across all the media.
I think that is just semantics. There have been dozens of raids/ strikes during the 30 year Covenant War. The First Strike, to me, is the strike following Reach.
I feel like people are very swift to claim cannon breaks even if it isn't really the case.
It's been said above, but the only real canon issue I saw was that Johnson and the Chief met before the Fall of Reach. That being said, it had been a very long war and perhaps Chief didn't recognize him after nearly thirty years of fighting. Or you could say that Chief and Johnson did know exactly who each other were, but Silent Storm was a classified mission and they were just keeping with classified protocols.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic book and expands on lore surrounding the early years of the war. It also explains some technical things that previous canon just accepted as fact (like the nicknames of Covenant species and the Covenant's faster-than-light communication to name a couple)
tuhin94 wrote:
After a few books, I’ll be reading Silent Storm. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve seen some posts suggesting it breaks established canon and other suggesting those breaks, if there are any, are very minor. Can I get some comments regarding this? I don’t mind spoilers if they’re minor, but please do mention if there are any major plot points related to this.
Halsey learns that sgt johnson was a spartan even though in first strike she apparently doesnt remember him she says borens syndrome was the reason he was immune to the flood instead of his Orion augmentations.While lore like that might not feel like a big break in canon to most, it is to me and A few others because it wasnt necessary.You didnt even need Johnson in this book.
There's small retcons I guess. It's weird to read book like First Strike since it seems a lot less experienced and knowledgeable about Covenant soldiers for example.
tuhin94 wrote:
Halsey learns that sgt johnson was a spartan even though in first strike she apparently doesnt remember him she says borens syndrome was the reason he was immune to the flood instead of his Orion augmentations.While lore like that might not feel like a big break in canon to most, it is to me and A few others because it wasnt necessary.You didnt even need Johnson in this book.
How do we know it was his Orion augmentations that made him immune to the Flood and not Borens? Augmentations didn't save Chief from that infection form in The Flood. If it were augmentations, Chief should be able to just walk through the infection forms.
Hmmm.... this the first I have ever heard of a Halo novel breaking cannon. Although it has been a good while since I read First Strike.
It's been said above, but the only real canon issue I saw was that Johnson and the Chief met before the Fall of Reach. That being said, it had been a very long war and perhaps Chief didn't recognize him after nearly thirty years of fighting. Or you could say that Chief and Johnson did know exactly who each other were, but Silent Storm was a classified mission and they were just keeping with classified protocols.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic book and expands on lore surrounding the early years of the war. It also explains some technical things that previous canon just accepted as fact (like the nicknames of Covenant species and the Covenant's faster-than-light communication to name a couple)
If this is a top vote this should be it. Very good explanation, couldn't say it better myself.

If this is a top vote this should be it. Very good explanation, couldn't say it better myself.
Thank you! I love answering canon questions. Particularly questions about canon breaks. Sometimes there are some things that can't be explained, but for the most part a little tweak here and there can justify these issues.
tuhin94 wrote:
How do we know it was his Orion augmentations that made him immune to the Flood and not Borens? Augmentations didn't save Chief from that infection form in The Flood. If it were augmentations, Chief should be able to just walk through the infection forms.
They kind of say that in first strike
tuhin94 wrote:
Now, I'm writing this not having read Silent Storm yet, so if I need correcting, please do so.

Halsey read off Johnson's medical records to John in First Strike (pg 294-296). The records were made 3 years prior, as if he had just contracted the disease (on Paris IV), not as if he had the disease for some time (so by extension, his altered DNA shouldn't have been public knowledge). She could still have known he was a Spartan-I and only been given the medical records from ONI, who would, in their best interest, only divulge falsified information. Halsey doesn't know his actual medical records from his Spartan-I days.
tuhin94 wrote:
The only reason given in first strike is borens syndrome. We only know of Johnson's involvement in Orion from contact harvest.
smasher555 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
The only reason given in first strike is borens syndrome. We only know of Johnson's involvement in Orion from contact harvest.
And in silent storm
smasher555 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
And in silent storm
Now that's just nitpicking, I didn't mention that as it has already been said in conversation between us. The bottom line is that silent Storm does not break canon.
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
And in silent storm
Now that's just nitpicking, I didn't mention that as it has already been said in conversation between us. The bottom line is that silent Storm does not break canon.
See but it does,Johnson and chief didnt meet til 2552 but somehow met over 20 years earlier in silent storm which does in fact break previous canon
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
And in silent storm
See but it does,Johnson and chief didnt meet til 2552 but somehow met over 20 years earlier in silent storm which does in fact break previous canon
No it doesn't. It changes the canon in one small place. Breaking canon would be something like the halos were actually never fired.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2