1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
After a few books, I’ll be reading Silent Storm. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve seen some posts suggesting it breaks established canon and other suggesting those breaks, if there are any, are very minor. Can I get some comments regarding this? I don’t mind spoilers if they’re minor, but please do mention if there are any major plot points related to this.
Halsey learns that sgt johnson was a spartan even though in first strike she apparently doesnt remember him she says borens syndrome was the reason he was immune to the flood instead of his Orion augmentations.While lore like that might not feel like a big break in canon to most, it is to me and A few others because it wasnt necessary.You didnt even need Johnson in this book.
How do we know it was his Orion augmentations that made him immune to the Flood and not Borens? Augmentations didn't save Chief from that infection form in The Flood. If it were augmentations, Chief should be able to just walk through the infection forms.
They kind of say that in first strike
The only reason given in first strike is borens syndrome. We only know of Johnson's involvement in Orion from contact harvest.
And in silent storm
Now that's just nitpicking, I didn't mention that as it has already been said in conversation between us. The bottom line is that silent Storm does not break canon.
See but it does,Johnson and chief didnt meet til 2552 but somehow met over 20 years earlier in silent storm which does in fact break previous canon
No it doesn't. It changes the canon in one small place. Breaking canon would be something like the halos were actually never fired.
Breaking and changing are the same thing,breaking is just to a higher degree
tuhin94 wrote:
After a few books, I’ll be reading Silent Storm. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve seen some posts suggesting it breaks established canon and other suggesting those breaks, if there are any, are very minor. Can I get some comments regarding this? I don’t mind spoilers if they’re minor, but please do mention if there are any major plot points related to this.
Halsey learns that sgt johnson was a spartan even though in first strike she apparently doesnt remember him she says borens syndrome was the reason he was immune to the flood instead of his Orion augmentations.While lore like that might not feel like a big break in canon to most, it is to me and A few others because it wasnt necessary.You didnt even need Johnson in this book.
How do we know it was his Orion augmentations that made him immune to the Flood and not Borens? Augmentations didn't save Chief from that infection form in The Flood. If it were augmentations, Chief should be able to just walk through the infection forms.
Ok so I just looked it up. The title "Boren's Syndrome" and its symptoms were fabricated to cover up the effects of the Spartan-1 program. So there's no lore discrepancy because Boren's and Spartan-1 augmentations are the same thing.
Source
tuhin94 wrote:
Ok so I just looked it up. The title "Boren's Syndrome" and its symptoms were fabricated to cover up the effects of the Spartan-1 program. So there's no lore discrepancy because Boren's and Spartan-1 augmentations are the same thing.
Source
Borens syndrome was fabricated to cover up the side effects of orion augmentations.The side effects from the augmentations and boren syndrome aren't the same thing
It's been said above, but the only real canon issue I saw was that Johnson and the Chief met before the Fall of Reach. That being said, it had been a very long war and perhaps Chief didn't recognize him after nearly thirty years of fighting. Or you could say that Chief and Johnson did know exactly who each other were, but Silent Storm was a classified mission and they were just keeping with classified protocols.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic book and expands on lore surrounding the early years of the war. It also explains some technical things that previous canon just accepted as fact (like the nicknames of Covenant species and the Covenant's faster-than-light communication to name a couple)
If this is a top vote this should be it. Very good explanation, couldn't say it better myself.
Thank you! I love answering canon questions. Particularly questions about canon breaks. Sometimes there are some things that can't be explained, but for the most part a little tweak here and there can justify these issues.
I know it might be much coming from a random person here but I do appreciate it. I love people who are passionate about a franchise like myself. And I know I am repeating myself here but I really have to show my appriciation.
I don't think it really did. Seem to fit well. Other than the anti-Halsey attitudes that is. You think people would realize that ONI had a large part in the Spartan 2 project and that the UNSC is just as equally guilty. I guess turning a blind eye when it comes to annihilation is ok in the end though as long as it saves you. At least it seems that way. But all in all i'm glad we have the Spartans. No matter the age.
The "First Strike" in First Strike is no longer the "First Strike" because this book would technically be their "First Strike." That's all I caught and it's a very minor issue. Then again I didn't notice any continuity errors in the Kilo 5 trilogy so I'm clearly very unobservant when it comes to this.
I don't think first strike has to be retconned. Firstly the first strike name was what was given to the operation as a first strike for the battle for Earth, not necessarily it was the first time the UNSC assaulted a major Covenant installation. If anything this book shows how the MC and the Spartans gained their experience against the Covenant.

The only retconned thing that has happened is the meeting between Johnson and the MC. However I don't see it as major breaking event. Over a 30 year, galaxy spanning war, it would be incredibly difficult for a highly decorated and experienced SF operator like Johnson to not have met the Spartans prior to Reach. I think it's a great addition and fleshes out the universe.
juhoxxx wrote:
There's small retcons I guess. It's weird to read book like First Strike since it seems a lot less experienced and knowledgeable about Covenant soldiers for example.
Which is kind of stupid in a war that has gone on for almost 30 years.
As previous people have said. During the Fall of Reach, it was either assumed or it was the first time Johnson and Chief met each other on the orbital defense platform.
juhoxxx wrote:
There's small retcons I guess. It's weird to read book like First Strike since it seems a lot less experienced and knowledgeable about Covenant soldiers for example.
Which is kind of stupid in a war that has gone on for almost 30 years.
I agree. That's why I totally understand the "retcons".
The "First Strike" in First Strike is no longer the "First Strike" because this book would technically be their "First Strike." That's all I caught and it's a very minor issue. Then again I didn't notice any continuity errors in the Kilo 5 trilogy so I'm clearly very unobservant when it comes to this.
I don't think first strike has to be retconned. Firstly the first strike name was what was given to the operation as a first strike for the battle for Earth, not necessarily it was the first time the UNSC assaulted a major Covenant installation. If anything this book shows how the MC and the Spartans gained their experience against the Covenant.

The only retconned thing that has happened is the meeting between Johnson and the MC. However I don't see it as major breaking event. Over a 30 year, galaxy spanning war, it would be incredibly difficult for a highly decorated and experienced SF operator like Johnson to not have met the Spartans prior to Reach. I think it's a great addition and fleshes out the universe.
He calls him by his first name though and his potential engagements with Spartans are never hinted at prior to first strike

He calls him by his first name though and his potential engagements with Spartans are never hinted at prior to first strike
Fair, however to counter when first strike was written Halo as an expanded universe wasn't even fully fleshed out. We had scant knowledge about the early years of the war aside from humanity lost hard every time. So I still stand by saying, yes it is worth mentioning, it isn't lore breaking.
I don't think it really did. Seem to fit well. Other than the anti-Halsey attitudes that is. You think people would realize that ONI had a large part in the Spartan 2 project and that the UNSC is just as equally guilty. I guess turning a blind eye when it comes to annihilation is ok in the end though as long as it saves you. At least it seems that way. But all in all i'm glad we have the Spartans. No matter the age.
You're referring to Kilo-5, this thread is about Silent Storm. The thing regarding Halsey is that she ultimately was the deciding factor behind the abductions and flash clones. They were in fact her ideas. This doesn't necessarily shift the blame from ONI, but there is plenty of reason to be anti-Halsey.

Also, you must remember that the Spartan-II program was started to fight Insurrectionists, not the Covenant. It again was also Halsey's idea. It wasn't started to prevent annihilation. That was a happy accident that Halsey and ONI were able to use to further justify the Spartan program.

Fair, however to counter when first strike was written Halo as an expanded universe wasn't even fully fleshed out. We had scant knowledge about the early years of the war aside from humanity lost hard every time. So I still stand by saying, yes it is worth mentioning, it isn't lore breaking.
If it contradicts previous lore,how is that not lore/canon breaking?
I think, ultimately, the use of the word "break" when describing what occurred in Silent Storm is what people are finding issue with, not necessarily that something was or wasn't changed. Typically there are negative connotations with using the word "break" when explaining that something has changed. Simply saying "canon was changed/altered" doesn't ring so negatively.
I personally differentiate "break" from "altered" or "changed" when something has been changed for the worse. Everyone's opinions on the matter will vary, of course.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2