Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How many halos are left in the universe

OP Marve1vsCapcom

First halo got destroyed in Halo CE, second halo has gone blow up in Halo 3 (or was it the same halo in first game was destroyed, then rebuild, and blown up again?) And last Halo was seen in Halo 5 secret ending. We saw 3 or 2 halos, so how many are there left?
Seven ring remain. The first twelve were almost wiped out, leaving just one. The next set lost 04, and it's copy. However the next copy was built and released from the ark.

Original Number of Halo Rings: 18
Twelve belonged to the original 30k diameter rings and the six 10k diameter rings we see in game.

Current Remaining Halo Rings: 7
Of the original twelve rings only one remains (Installation 07), it was broken down and upgraded to work like the newer Halos.

Active Rings ready to be Fired: 5 (Installation 01, Installation 02, Installation 05, Installation 06, Installation 07)
In the event of a worst case scenario (large scale Flood threat) the Halo's won't be able as effective as 2/7ths of the galaxy aren't covered.

Rings unable to perform duties: 2 (Installation 03 & Installation 09/04c)
Installation 03 was moved to a unknown location for repairs (Bastion maybe?) and Installation 09 was intercepted by the Created.
l Chaos I wrote:
Twelve belonged to the original 30k diameter rings and the six 10k diameter rings we see in game.

Of the original twelve rings only one remains (Installation 07), it was broken down and upgraded to work like the newer Halos.

Active Rings ready to be Fired: 5 (Installation 01, Installation 02, Installation 05, Installation 06, Installation 07)
In the event of a worst case scenario (large scale Flood threat) the Halo's won't be able as effective as 2/7ths of the galaxy aren't covered.

Installation 03 was moved to a unknown location for repairs (Bastion maybe?) and Installation 09 was intercepted by the Created.
Isn't Installation 05 inoperative now, too? The Sangheili glassed it's surface to prevent the Flood from spreading.
l Chaos I wrote:

Isn't Installation 05 inoperative now, too? The Sangheili glassed it's surface to prevent the Flood from spreading.
"In-operative" is a such lose term in my opinion especially when it was revealed what Tragic Solitude had intended to do. As even if the firing index is taken away or in the case of a premature shutdown, a person at Installation 00/The Ark is able to still fire the entire halo array simultaneously. Even though Installation 05 was also glassed, I doubt that did anything that would effect the halos main weapon.
I've always wondered how many forerunner installations are left including shield worlds and support installations like the one seen in Halo 2 when playing the arbiter for the first time
V4L4KH wrote:
I've always wondered how many forerunner installations are left including shield worlds and support installations like the one seen in Halo 2 when playing the arbiter for the first time
Hundreds... probably.

A minimum of 673 Shield Worlds were built starting with 0001 Requiem and ending with 0673 Refuge. Halo Warfleet also mentions Shield World 10021 so it is quite possible a minimum of ten thousand were built. Of course most of these were probably destroyed by the Flood by the end of the Forerunner-Flood War so until a number is confirmed. I would guess a few hundred or maybe a couple dozen still exist.
l Chaos I wrote:
l Chaos I wrote:

"In-operative" is a such lose term in my opinion especially when it was revealed what Tragic Solitude had intended to do. As even if the firing index is taken away or in the case of a premature shutdown, a person at Installation 00/The Ark is able to still fire the entire halo array simultaneously. Even though Installation 05 was also glassed, I doubt that did anything that would effect the halos main weapon.
Also... does the array not also have a multiplicative effect: e.g. an individual ring firing is less than 1/7th as effective as the whole array firing?
MorseyBaby wrote:
l Chaos I wrote:
l Chaos I wrote:

Also... does the array not also have a multiplicative effect: e.g. an individual ring firing is less than 1/7th as effective as the whole array firing?
Do you mean the "tactical pulse" mentioned in Halo 3?

From what I understand Halo's are able to fire individually so long as they aren't connected to the wider array. At least that is how I understood when they decided to light Installation 08/04b at the end of Halo 3 since the other Halo's wouldn't be effected. Now if you were asking if the newer array can fire laterally like the original twelve? Then I have no clue, but I assume they have that function.
l Chaos I wrote:
l Chaos I wrote:
Are we sure, though? As far as we know, glassing would also eliminate any above-ground facilities on the Halo, including the phase-pulse generators, the control room, and even the beam emitters that excess energy is released from. Would it really still be functional in that case? Especially since Halo 2 makes it seem clear that the control room is a vital part of the firing process.