Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How much does a mjolnir system cost?

OP triple 259772

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I've already checked halopedia and wikia and they both say that a gen 1 mjolnir armor suit costs as much as a small star ship but, how small is a small star ship, are they talking about a long sword or a frigate? The gen 2 mjolnir suits were said to be cheaper to produce but, how much cheaper? The suit (gen 2) helps a spartan 4 be on par with a spartan 2 (so that means master chief is just as good as a spartan 4 with the suits on except one has more experience) so it can't be that much cheaper.
I'm inclined to believe the starship in question would be like a frigate. I don't have an exact quote but I remember someone telling Halsey her S2 project cost as much as a whole battlegroup. As for how much cheaper Gen 2 is compared to Gen 1, I think we don't have anything official (someone get Catalog). I'm assuming cheaper would mean "lower costs because better technology makes materials/assembly cheaper and provides a more cost efficient design for the same quality" rather than "lower costs because Gen 2 uses less expensive but lower quality stuff". Thus Gen 2 could be both much cheaper and be just as good. Of course we don't know anything concrete (please get Catalog) but I think that Gen 2 would be "considerably cheaper" rather than "slightly cheaper".
It is repeated that a single SII cost as much as a small battlegroup of frigates to train and equip. It is likely that a GEN1 MJOLNIR system is similar in price to a Charon or Paris- Class frigate.

GEN2 will be a lot cheaper as the UNSC has made the system much more efficient, and are able to manufacture it en masse for several hundred Spartans.
one billion dollars!!!
I've already checked halopedia and wikia and they both say that a gen 1 mjolnir armor suit costs as much as a small star ship but, how small is a small star ship, are they talking about a long sword or a frigate? The gen 2 mjolnir suits were said to be cheaper to produce but, how much cheaper? The suit (gen 2) helps a spartan 4 be on par with a spartan 2 (so that means master chief is just as good as a spartan 4 with the suits on except one has more experience) so it can't be that much cheaper.
Well MC armour is as much as a longsword (forget who said that) It's likely due to mass production of the spartans and armor it probably cost about as much as a pelican or broadsword.
Air assault description seems to indicate that each suit costs as much as a dropship.
Since starting the Halo 5 Beta, I've seen a few Armour types, specifically "Air Assault," being described costing "as much as a Pelican Dropship," so if I were to make an inference, "small starship" referred to something along the lines of a Longsword.
Nobody has yet to answer with a guesstimate in dollars lol, including me.
Since starting the Halo 5 Beta, I've seen a few Armour types, specifically "Air Assault," being described costing "as much as a Pelican Dropship," so if I were to make an inference, "small starship" referred to something along the lines of a Longsword.
If I remember correctly, when bringing up the costs of the Spartan-II Program, some ONI official remarked that you could have spent the money and constructed an entire Battle group. A Battle group, of course, is used more for warships, rather than fighters.
Nobody has yet to answer with a guesstimate in dollars lol, including me.
Probably because we don't really have an idea of what the cost would be in cR.

I think the closest we have for a conversion rate is how a real-life M67 grenade is something like 30 bucks, while the M9 grenade from Halo is 30 cR. Of course, for the real-life counterpart, I'm not sure if that's the cost of the materials needed to produce the grenade. So, maybe the conversion rate is something like 1:1.

Although, from what I've heard, you could get a military Humvee for less in dollars than what the Warthog costs in cR. And considering how minimalistic the Warthog is in terms of protection, you'd think it'd costs substantially less.
I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 54895746824578 Lamborghini's :P Honestly I have no idea.
where is catalog when you need him
It all makes sense now.
This is why Agent Locke is hunting John! Oni wants that suit back.

If I remember correctly, when bringing up the costs of the Spartan-II Program, some ONI official remarked that you could have spent the money and constructed an entire Battle group. A Battle group, of course, is used more for warships, rather than fighters.
UNSC personnel are pretty prone to dramatic exaggeration. That quote likely comes from Ghosts of Onyx though. Assuming it is so, he's talking about the costs of not only a single unit itself, but also also all the various prototypes, variants, and developements that had happened by that time. This also includes prototype reverse-engineered alien shielding technology. ONI/UNSC also handled Mjolnirs development in house at the time I believe, as opposed to independent contractors used for newer generation of armor.

Fast forward 20-30 years and you have significant advances in Mjolnir, a proper understanding of shielding technology, public sector production lines, etc and your price drops significantly.
"Tell that to the Covenant."
I recall Halo The Fall of Reach stating specifically that single suit of MJOLNIR first generation Powered Assault Armour cost the equivalent of a star-ship to produce.

I agree that 20-30 years development may have reduced the cost of the MJOLNIR second generation battle armour, but not by a significant degree as it still cannot be considered standard issue equipment like the Sangheili combat harness is.

Apparently 343 stated in their 2012 comic-con that the Spartan IV's numbered between 300-500, and while this is a stiff increase on the 30 or so original Spartan II's, this could simply represent an increase in funding for Orion super-soldier Project rather then a drastically cheaper MJOLNIR armour.

At the end of the day 300-500 may seem a large number of Spartan IV's compared to the numbers we've seen before, but for the UNSC Defence Forces whose enrolled personnel must number in the millions (as they draw their manpower from all Earth nation and off-world colonies) its a drop in ocean numerically.

I think the fact that the millions of marines and soldiers that comprise the UNSC Army and Marine Core still having to make use of ballistic vests shows that the MJOLNIR is still a long way away from being a cost effective option for mass production.
will take a guess.

Considering 26th century Cr seems to be equal value to current USD, I'll start from there.

First, Air Assault armor is cited in the Halo 5 beta as costing as much as a drop ship, so standard Mjolnir Gen 2 and other variants are probably about the same cost, give or take.

we have never been given a figure for how much a Pelican costs, so this is where the guessing comes in. The D79 Pelican's real world counterpart is the US Marines' CH-53 Super Stallion helicopter. A brand new one costs the US government about 30 million dollars. Now take into account how much more advanced a Pelican is (onboard armament, jump jets as opposed to rotary wing, space capable, re-entry capable, etc) and I would say it would cost 2-3 times as much.

So, again based on guess, I would say a Pelican would be in the 80-90 million Cr range. Therefore, the same goes for a single suit of Mjolnir Gen 2.
Fully answering this question would require too many resources at present.

For partial clarification and edification: Human [Mjolnir] combat skin platforms require extensive design and simulation refinement before being placed in production, due to the difficulty and time required for the [texo] of their [exotic composite] [lorica] shell, construction and integration of the compact [sun-star] power plant, and [alternate foundation] computing architecture. True costs to the human military was less the [transactional system units] assigned for [checkbook accounting] and more the loss of scientific personnel utilization, [precious-limited] manufacturing time at intact [high tier] [fabricae], and [mass-volume] of exotic materials required for each [bespoke] combat skin.
So. It depends on circumstance? Like making MJOLNIR when you already know the design and have the proper tools VS starting from scratch while facing imminent annihilation. Or maybe devaluation of goods too so parts that were expensive then have become much cheaper by 2556.

Anyway, if we're talking about costs in the future... Catalog, how much does coffee cost in 2558, adjusted for inflation. I wonder if people still have to pay excessively for their daily fuel.
Tell that to the covenant.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2