Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

How much does it cost to make spartan arnor,

OP Mr Pink 911

Specifically, chiefs different armors from the games.
I don't know the specific price, but one of the books (probably Fall of Reach) states that you could literally build a Frigate for what a suit of Mjolnir costs.
This is a very rough estimate in numbers but I have a vague idea on how much it would cost.

So a frigate in halo is around $1 billion credits, using some numbers I am able to work out how much that is in money today. In 2016 the US made a purchase of 38,400 Colt M4 Carbines for a total of $24,844,800 or $647 per weapon. In the Limited Edition of Halo 4 an MA5D assault rifle costs 1,693cR. Assuming thats the price they pay per MA5D i would guess that $1 is 2.62cR. That means a Frigate is about half a million dollars in earth money. Remember that they have advanced more so tech for them is cheaper. Now the MC suit weights about 1000 pounds, so assuming thats only armour plating that means that the armour plates would cost $32,850 is they are made of an alloy of Titanium and Kevlar, but thats only for the base materials. The process of fabricating it may cost a fair bit so I'll guess about $50,000. So thats $82,850 for the armour plates. The under suit is most likely made of an alloy of Kevlar for resistance against projectiles and a very strong elastic substance for mobility. My guess is probably $5000 for base materials and $5000 for fabrication. Next is the gel, its probably putty and something else so the price for that is $1000 and I'll guess that the price of the mystery substance that makes it stronger and more shock absorbent is about $1000. Now the really expensive stuff. A chip into the brain for neural connection is about $10 million to $20 million according to Elon Musks Neuralink. Since this is a high end one for the Spartans so I'll guess about $20 million. An exo-skeleton is (for a high end one) about $100000 but I'd say the one in Halo is double price because of how advanced it is so its probably about $200000. Next is the AI, the cost to develop an advanced one is $300000 but Cortana is very advanced so a price about $500000 wouldn't be too unreasonable. This means that the total cost for the base materials to make the suit is:
-$82,850 (armour plates)
-$10,000 (under suit)
-$2000 (gel)
-$20,000,000 (neural implant)
-$200,000 (exo-skeleton)
-$500,000 (A.I)
So $20,794,850 in real life money or about 44,000,000cR

But don't forget about the cost of fabricating it, which would not be cheap. As well as the energy shields, the HUD, the thrusters, the complex system that is able to predict the users actions and other bits of tech that are very expensive that we can't even dream of fabricating. Just remember this is a guess based on real world materials. In the future they are definitely more advanced but more costly. When you consider the muscle implants, the steroids and the cost of training them on top of this they are very expensive indeed. I know this is not the most accurate but as I said earlier it's a rough estimate on current materials.
This is a very rough estimate in numbers but I have a vague idea on how much it would cost.

So a frigate in halo is around $1 billion credits, using some numbers I am able to work out how much that is in money today. In 2016 the US made a purchase of 38,400 Colt M4 Carbines for a total of $24,844,800 or $647 per weapon. In the Limited Edition of Halo 4 an MA5D assault rifle costs 1,693cR. Assuming thats the price they pay per MA5D i would guess that $1 is 2.62cR. That means a Frigate is about half a million dollars in earth money. Remember that they have advanced more so tech for them is cheaper. Now the MC suit weights about 1000 pounds, so assuming thats only armour plating that means that the armour plates would cost $32,850 is they are made of an alloy of Titanium and Kevlar, but thats only for the base materials. The process of fabricating it may cost a fair bit so I'll guess about $50,000. So thats $82,850 for the armour plates. The under suit is most likely made of an alloy of Kevlar for resistance against projectiles and a very strong elastic substance for mobility. My guess is probably $5000 for base materials and $5000 for fabrication. Next is the gel, its probably putty and something else so the price for that is $1000 and I'll guess that the price of the mystery substance that makes it stronger and more shock absorbent is about $1000. Now the really expensive stuff. A chip into the brain for neural connection is about $10 million to $20 million according to Elon Musks Neuralink. Since this is a high end one for the Spartans so I'll guess about $20 million. An exo-skeleton is (for a high end one) about $100000 but I'd say the one in Halo is double price because of how advanced it is so its probably about $200000. Next is the AI, the cost to develop an advanced one is $300000 but Cortana is very advanced so a price about $500000 wouldn't be too unreasonable. This means that the total cost for the base materials to make the suit is:
-$82,850 (armour plates)
-$10,000 (under suit)
-$2000 (gel)
-$200,000 (exo-skeleton)
-$500,000 (A.I)

But don't forget about the cost of fabricating it, which would not be cheap. As well as the energy shields, the HUD, the thrusters, the complex system that is able to predict the users actions and other bits of tech that are very expensive that we can't even dream of fabricating. Just remember this is a guess based on real world materials. In the future they are definitely more advanced but more costly. When you consider the muscle implants, the steroids and the cost of training them on top of this they are very expensive indeed. I know this is not the most accurate but as I said earlier it's a rough estimate on current materials.
This is the best answer anyone could have asked for in my opinion

-$82,850 (armour plates)
-$10,000 (under suit)
-$2000 (gel)
-$200,000 (exo-skeleton)
-$500,000 (A.I)

This is the best answer anyone could have asked for in my opinion
Thanks, when I read the question I decided to do some actual research into it because I was genuinely curious. Glad I was able to answer your question!

-$82,850 (armour plates)
-$10,000 (under suit)
-$2000 (gel)
-$200,000 (exo-skeleton)
-$500,000 (A.I)

This is pure speculation and many things in there go against known lore for the armor. The most expensive part of the suit was the liquid metal crystal layer that worked to amplify the Spartans strength and reaction speeds. And you have to be mad to think that a UNSC frigate costs half a million USD, when a non space worthy modern day frigate cost near $800,000,000 USD to build. Here's the Halo wiki page for MJOLNIR Armor, it has a component list on there that describes the armor pieces. For example the undersuit is a Titanium nanocomposite material, not Kevlar as you speculated. But as we don't know how much a UNSC Frigate costs, but it would easily over one billion USD. So we can guess that each first generation suit of MJOLNIR would cost over a billion dollars per suit, not $44 million. In all reality it would probably be closer to $2 billion in the early Mk IV days. And when Mk V got shields, that probably skyrocketed the cost as well. Spartans are very expensive.

Now with Gen2 armor its cost was brought down a ton, basically to a price of a Pelican dropship. If a modern F22 costs $150 million, and a F35 is around $100+ million, I'd guess a Pelican would be around $200-250 million per unit. So a Gen2 suit probably costs around $250-300 million I'd guess, maybe a bit more or less. I'd be curious about the new Gen3 armor though. We already know that the Grenadier helmet costs a lot from a recent Inside Infinite post.
The breakdowns here are unique so far, a lot of speculation and guess work required but its still a really novel quiestion to pursue. I had to search it up again real quick but I remember reading an awesome Quora post on this very topic in the past. It also required a bit of speculation but I thought the conclusions they reached made some sense. It turns it out would cost A LOT.

TL;DR: it would cost $130B for Gen 1, $41M for Gen 2 (as aftermath mentioned, costing a little more than a pelican), and bumping back up to $6B for Gen 3. Again a lot of this was guess work relating to the current price of metals that could honestly be totally different for a interstellar human empire 500 years in the future.
I think it's more expensive than Spartan Gondor but a lot cheaper than Spartan Mordor
crazy see all the assumptions of how will cost the armors in the real life