Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

I'm enjoying Shadows of Reach

OP ZealotSangheili

More than any other Halo book in years so far
Can't wait, I think I will get audible and listen over the weekend.
Just got it in the mail today. In the middle of reading another book from a different sci-fi series, but I'll be reading it next. Everything I've heard or read says it's a great addition to the Halo canon, so I can't wait to get started.
It's a lot of subtle character development of blue team, the backdrop abd the setting of Reach are all really strong, the covenant portions of the story are really interesting too, there's a, lot of good character interaction, and honestly just having Blue Team go back to thier home and having it given the weight emotionally that it should being thier home, it's impressive.
I've recently gotten into looking at the halo experience beyond the games. The last 2 days I listened to the audio book of Halo Cryptum and I enjoyed it more than I thought. Can you guys give me some insight on the best way to go about listening or reading more books or even watching shows/movies? Even some specific pieces of media i should look into. I had yo use YouTube to listen to the audio book which wasn't bad but don't really know where to go from there.
ki0t22 wrote:
I've recently gotten into looking at the halo experience beyond the games. The last 2 days I listened to the audio book of Halo Cryptum and I enjoyed it more than I thought. Can you guys give me some insight on the best way to go about listening or reading more books or even watching shows/movies? Even some specific pieces of media i should look into. I had yo use YouTube to listen to the audio book which wasn't bad but don't really know where to go from there.
Halo: The Fall of Reach and First Strike are good places to look next. Ghosts of Onyx for the next one. Contact Harvest is good if you want to understand the start of the war between the covenant and humans. After that, tough to say. Karen Traviss covers the post-war between Halo 4 and 5, though a lot of people hate that stuff. The rest of Greg Bear's trilogy is really great if you want to understand/read about forerunners. (The middle one is a little slow, but if you can get into a kind of meditative, vegetative state with it it can be an interesting experience.) There's a lot of stuff after that, but the fiction starts to lose its identity a little bit. I thought Last Light was good. And I enjoyed Buck's voice in New Blood and Bad Blood.

Comics-wise, there's Escalation. There are moments that are really great in that. Some are terrible. Collateral Damage I just read, and THAT was great. I've heard rise of Atriox is good.

There are a lot of places you can go. But next up you should DEF read Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx. These three are all great and sort of set the fictional backbone for what Halo is.
ki0t22 wrote:
Halo: The Fall of Reach and First Strike are good places to look next. Ghosts of Onyx for the next one. Contact Harvest is good if you want to understand the start of the war between the covenant and humans. After that, tough to say. Karen Traviss covers the post-war between Halo 4 and 5, though a lot of people hate that stuff. The rest of Greg Bear's trilogy is really great if you want to understand/read about forerunners. (The middle one is a little slow, but if you can get into a kind of meditative, vegetative state with it it can be an interesting experience.) There's a lot of stuff after that, but the fiction starts to lose its identity a little bit. I thought Last Light was good. And I enjoyed Buck's voice in New Blood and Bad Blood.

Comics-wise, there's Escalation. There are moments that are really great in that. Some are terrible. Collateral Damage I just read, and THAT was great. I've heard rise of Atriox is good.

There are a lot of places you can go. But next up you should DEF read Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx. These three are all great and sort of set the fictional backbone for what Halo is.
Awesome thanks for the info I appreciate it a lot. I am finishing up the forerunners saga just started the 2nd book. I'll for sure check out your recommendations next very excited.
ki0t22 wrote:
Once you get through Cryptum, push through Primordium even if you find it boring and uneventful, you'll need it to understand Silentium. In my opinion, Silentium is a book that ranks similarly to other classic sci-fi novels such as Hyperion!
ki0t22 wrote:
Once you get through Cryptum, push through Primordium even if you find it boring and uneventful, you'll need it to understand Silentium. In my opinion, Silentium is a book that ranks similarly to other classic sci-fi novels such as Hyperion!
Yah I'm about 2 hours in of the 8 hour video to be honest I like it so far but that does get me hyped up for the next one for sure!
I'm having a ton of trouble finding a copy. All of the book sellers in my area either didn't get a copy, or are already sold out. Every Walmart is sold out as well. Shame I usually pick these up within a few days of their release...
Awesome! I’ll definitely have to check it out!
It's a lot of subtle character development of blue team --
What makes you say that? Genuine question. Because I went through it and couldn't find anything of the sort. Everyone on Blue (Chief included) is still in the exact same place we saw them at in H5 years ago now and don't change at all by the end of the book either.
I'm excited to read it!