Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

I was invited to a Halo Infinite media briefing

OP Ur Haruspis

>> Link to article: 'I was invited to a Halo Infinite media briefing with Chris Lee and Paul Crocker. Here's everything I learned...'
Quote:
“Set a fire in your heart, Spartan! Fight hard. Die well.”
I was lucky enough to be invited to a media briefing with 343 Industries’ own Chris Lee (Studio Head) and Paul Crocker (Associate Creative Director), who provided insight into new characters and features, along with the announcement of Halo Infinite’s second composer and more.

Here’s everything I learned…
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'm not impressed with the showing, and I wasn't expecting much. It's not just that the graphics seem like a step down from 5 for some reason, or that the actual gameplay seems like more of the same, it's the fact that the Halo Universe is once again plodding aimlessly towards another retcon.

Master Chief is back, once again stripped of the character development he acquired in Halo 4, but every other character is gone. Blue Team, Osiris, the Arbiter, the Infinity gang and absurdly even Cortana - all were pushed to the sidelines as so many have in the past. And in favor of what? A pilot who we're supposed to care about because he's "the heart of the story"? Please, that Pilot will get axed in time for Halo 7, even if he would have been interesting I wouldn't bother getting attached.

And now there's this new brute guy who for some reason looks like an orc from Lord of the Rings. Why should I care about him? I honestly don't get this, maybe someone can explain it to me. What was wrong with Atriox? Why do we need a new guy? And what about the Created? And the Guardians? And Cortana? Are they getting the Jul Mdama treatment, disposed of in the first mission or even off screen? Will it happen to this new Brute in time for Halo 7 after yet another apology from 343i about failing to deliver on the story?

I already gave up on Halo to a certain degree, but one small part of me was still hoping. I still do. I hope this ends up surprising me and being genuinely good and interesting, but I really doubt it.
To pick up on points raised above, I think it’s very early to criticise the story, we have seen too little of it, and I’m sure Halsey and Cortana at least will come back in Infinite.

This said, I agree it was strange to see the chief alone and stranded, this is a theme good for the first halo of a trilogy, which then goes on to set up in the second the characters and context that has to find a resolution in the last. While 343’s context (AI rebellion cliche, which I don’t mind entirely because very grounded in old established logic plague lore), and characters are weaker than the old (palmer vs Johnson, lasky who only talks vs any Keyes, jul vs prophets), halo 5 did a perfect job of ending on a cliffhanger and reuniting our heroes (including beloved Halsey, blue team and arbiter) with a clear objective for the next chapter: saving the galaxy from the created. Now it looks like much has happened in books or offscreen and we have a new threat to earth (chief’s words) which are not the created.

However, they did want to do a reboot. What better way to have our friends lose a major battle. Noticed the infinity losses on the banished battle screen (so many from ONI, that’s sad)? Looks like they finally destroyed or severely battered the infinity (which honestly given the incompetence demonstrated in comics and spartan ops is only fair), and likely killed off some of the less liked characters of the previous two games (Locke was rumoured).

I’m surprised by where they started the story, but at least we have that sense of mystery, unknown and surprise again and a lot of unanswered questions, which makes it more interesting. We do need to rejoin our friends and solve the created in game, because that arc has been set and it can’t be dismissed off screen.
Before too many more assumptions are drawn, study up on what we have. I havent read your article, yet, so ill go with this: there is no reason to criticize the story so far with such little known (not pointed at you. They retconned stuff that don't work to have a clear objective. Imagine yourself a writer, a designer, having to fix what they broke. Thats HARD.
So many had sky high expectations, maybe even myself. Thats a problem; have tempered expectations. People just wanna jump to conclusion. Those that don't misunderstand deliberate choices, or simply don't like the creative decision, or argue why it sucks.
>> Link to article: 'I was invited to a Halo Infinite media briefing with Chris Lee and Paul Crocker. Here's everything I learned...'
Quote:
“Set a fire in your heart, Spartan! Fight hard. Die well.”
I was lucky enough to be invited to a media briefing with 343 Industries’ own Chris Lee (Studio Head) and Paul Crocker (Associate Creative Director), who provided insight into new characters and features, along with the announcement of Halo Infinite’s second composer and more.

Here’s everything I learned…
I follow you on twitter man you are a beast!!!!!!!!!!!
Before too many more assumptions are drawn, study up on what we have. I havent read your article, yet, so ill go with this: there is no reason to criticize the story so far with such little known (not pointed at you. They retconned stuff that don't work to have a clear objective. Imagine yourself a writer, a designer, having to fix what they broke. Thats HARD.
So many had sky high expectations, maybe even myself. Thats a problem; have tempered expectations. People just wanna jump to conclusion. Those that don't misunderstand deliberate choices, or simply don't like the creative decision, or argue why it sucks.
343i have actually told us quite a lot about the direction of Halo Infinite's story. That it's set primarily (only?) on a Halo, that it's diling up the nostalgia, that Brutes are the main enemies and they're distancing themselves from Halo 5 (Created who? Locke who?). Now I was not a fan of Halo 5's story, I really disliked the Created twist, but at the same time it was too big of an event to just ignore in the next installment. I was hoping that despite my distaste, they would take the Created storyline and MAKE it interesting and unique. But 343i don't do that. When they get criticism, they simply scrap everything they've planned and course correct.

Retcons and soft reboots, in my opinion, are really annoying because you really can't take the plot of these games seriously anymore. It's going to end in a big cliffhanger which will never pay off (or will be dealt with pitifully Jul Mdama style), introduce new characters which 343i will then throw away...

I'm not feeling this new direction. I'm not a fan of the Pilot or this new Brute and I'm really not a fan of this attempt to ride the nostalgia wave. I hope the game is good in its own way aside from being Halo CE 2.0, and I hope it will defy all odds and end up being a solid conclusion to the trilogy that ties everything together rather than scrapping and throwing away what was already established, but I'm not holding my breath.
Do we know that any characters are dead? Locke, Laskey, Blue Team, Osiris, Alpha 9, Crimson or Majestic? Even Palmer and Halsey. This is frustrating that we don't know, but I don't think it means they are all dead.

I do hope the created are at least a decent part of this. They have to wrap that up. I don't want another situation like Jul or Didact. I liked them and they just got dropped. But we may be surprised. I'll try to be optimistic.
I'm not impressed with the showing, and I wasn't expecting much. It's not just that the graphics seem like a step down from 5 for some reason, or that the actual gameplay seems like more of the same, it's the fact that the Halo Universe is once again plodding aimlessly towards another retcon.

Master Chief is back, once again stripped of the character development he acquired in Halo 4, but every other character is gone. Blue Team, Osiris, the Arbiter, the Infinity gang and absurdly even Cortana - all were pushed to the sidelines as so many have in the past. And in favor of what? A pilot who we're supposed to care about because he's "the heart of the story"? Please, that Pilot will get axed in time for Halo 7, even if he would have been interesting I wouldn't bother getting attached.

And now there's this new brute guy who for some reason looks like an orc from Lord of the Rings. Why should I care about him? I honestly don't get this, maybe someone can explain it to me. What was wrong with Atriox? Why do we need a new guy? And what about the Created? And the Guardians? And Cortana? Are they getting the Jul Mdama treatment, disposed of in the first mission or even off screen? Will it happen to this new Brute in time for Halo 7 after yet another apology from 343i about failing to deliver on the story?

I already gave up on Halo to a certain degree, but one small part of me was still hoping. I still do. I hope this ends up surprising me and being genuinely good and interesting, but I really doubt it.
By all accounts, the demo is from an older build of the game, so it's definitely not the final product. I expect several tweaks to be made before release, including the look of the game. The story has supposedly been significantly reworked due to some of the criticism that Halo 5 received. There's no information on the other characters from Halo 5, but the forthcoming novel 'Shadows of Reach' is set after Halo 5, and includes Blue Team, so that may shed some light.
Boba772 wrote:
Do we know that any characters are dead? Locke, Laskey, Blue Team, Osiris, Alpha 9, Crimson or Majestic? Even Palmer and Halsey. This is frustrating that we don't know, but I don't think it means they are all dead.

I do hope the created are at least a decent part of this. They have to wrap that up. I don't want another situation like Jul or Didact. I liked them and they just got dropped. But we may be surprised. I'll try to be optimistic.
Halsey is virtually immortal until 2589 (based on halopedia), given the epilogue of Halo Reach
PIX24 wrote:
Boba772 wrote:

Halsey is virtually immortal until 2589 (based on halopedia), given the epilogue of Halo Reach
It wouldn't be too hard to pull a 'technically' on this tbh.

While what we're seeing on Reach takes place in 2589, Halsey's narration could've been something she recorded at any point in the years before if the story needs that to happen.
PIX24 wrote:
Boba772 wrote:

It wouldn't be too hard to pull a 'technically' on this tbh.

While what we're seeing on Reach takes place in 2589, Halsey's narration could've been something she recorded at any point in the years before if the story needs that to happen.
But it doesn't unless they want to reboot the community rather than the game... Anyway, they won't kill one of the few strong characters
One of the things of what makes me wonder and nervous is how much detail we'll learn about the past of this Halo ring in game, before we had things as terminals and data pads which gave us some information but what about this? Do I have to search every single corner to learn about the past? to learn if there is still Flood around in this halo ring? To find out if Medicant Bias could had make it's way back to this halo ring? And will we get an good enough answer about Cortana sense we got a new enemy from the banished.