Forums / Community / Halo Universe

I wish 343i would of done more with Gek Lhar.

OP Delko Elite 15

They can no longer go forward with him only backwards. They have created the Halo version of Darth Maul, but he can't comeback with robot legs.

Promising character who seemed to have a great future killed of being doing anything important.

Now, back to work.
I agree. They made him out to be this badass, Elite veteran (Jul's second-hand man with a collection of dog tags he's taken as trophies from fallen Spartans) and then killed him after only one encounter...
343 could have done so much with his character.
One question, where the -Yoink- was his helmet? That annoyed me for some reason.
The part where his attempt to kill Thorne and Glassman with the explosive vest resulted in a brother of his being killed really gave him some character. I actually pitied him and it was one of the only parts of Spartan Ops's writing that actually had an emotional impact on me.

And his pointless death really ruined that.
First of all, I'm very happy to see that someone made this post. I was going to get round to writing this up as a mega-post along with some alternative routes they could have taken with Gek 'Lhar.

One thing that amused me is that I felt he had more character development than any of the Spartan IV's seen in Spartan Ops, his devotion to the Covenant was unquestionable. All I hope now is that we see Gek 'Lhar return in future Halo media, it'd be very interesting to learn of his past career with the Covenant Empire.

Theory wise, I'd like to think Gek is still alive and made it off Requiem before being destroyed. Perhaps they could slip this in with the shot maybe knocking him unconscious or something similar. I know he definitely wouldn't play dead, as that would be incredibly dishonourable, and from what we know that is the exact opposite of his traits.

I think 343 could easily pull this off, it's a sci-fi for goodness sake! Hey, it worked for Boba Fett, right? It just seems like an utter waste. Not only would it give us a rich and interesting character, but it would create a very credible rival for FireTeam Majestic, as I'm sure Gek would seek out for vengeance. This would be something far more interesting than what has been done with Majestic Team, and the Spartan IV's in general. Bringing him in as a recurring opponent for Majestic.

I've asked Catalog a a few questions about Gek a week or so ago, I'd like the construct to answer them as it seems Gek 'Lhar has actually stayed in the communities minds as quite an unforgettable character. Then again, I could see them saving these facts and Gek's history for us to uncover in future media.

All in all, I'd love to see Gek 'Lhar return into Halo media. Please make it happen 343 Industries.
I didn't even know he was that terribly important until browsing the Universe forum.

Need to step up your game on introducing key characters, 343. Books are great, but not everybody gets the chance to read them all before the games come out.
Quote:
First of all, I'm very happy to see that someone made this post. I was going to get round to writing this up as a mega-post along with some alternative routes they could have taken with Gek 'Lhar.

One thing that amused me is that I felt he had more character development than any of the Spartan IV's seen in Spartan Ops, his devotion to the Covenant was unquestionable. All I hope now is that we see Gek 'Lhar return in future Halo media, it'd be very interesting to learn of his past career with the Covenant Empire.

Theory wise, I'd like to think Gek is still alive and made it off Requiem before being destroyed. Perhaps they could slip this in with the shot maybe knocking him unconscious or something similar. I know he definitely wouldn't play dead, as that would be incredibly dishonourable, and from what we know that is the exact opposite of his traits.

I think 343 could easily pull this off, it's a sci-fi for goodness sake! Hey, it worked for Boba Fett, right? It just seems like an utter waste. Not only would it give us a rich and interesting character, but it would create a very credible rival for FireTeam Majestic, as I'm sure Gek would seek out for vengeance. This would be something far more interesting than what has been done with Majestic Team, and the Spartan IV's in general. Bringing him in as a recurring opponent for Majestic.

I've asked Catalog a a few questions about Gek a week or so ago, I'd like the construct to answer them as it seems Gek 'Lhar has actually stayed in the communities minds as quite an unforgettable character. Then again, I could see them saving these facts and Gek's history for us to uncover in future media.

All in all, I'd love to see Gek 'Lhar return into Halo media. Please make it happen 343 Industries.
I was planning on having a long written response for Gek i didn't have to time. just wanted to get the bent up feelings out. The easiest way i could sum up how i felt about Gek Lhar is what many felt about Darth Maul.
Exciting character coming in and gets killed before he can do anything important.

I respect Gek so much I've given him is own Hnutrex. I really hope 343i doesn't ignore him and bringing him back isn't impossible. He clearly wasn't shot in the head so the chances of the bullet knocking him out were pretty high.

Ask a soldier who's been hit in combat. It feels like a truck slammed into you but you're alive. Now a futuristic gun probably could down right be a KO.
Normally I hate the excuse that "the bullet just knocked him unconscious so he's still alive."

But I would accept it for Gek.
I wouldn't like the whole "back from the dead" thing, but that doesn't stop me from feeling that Gek's death and story was rather poor, he might as-well of been a red shirt.
Killed lots of spartans, missing eye, lost his brother due to his mistake, there was loads of potential in his character.

Amazingly the obvious red shirt character (Glassman) makes it to the end.
I recall that someone at 343i mentioned that Gek had an interesting backstory set for Spartan Ops but it got cut in the end. I would not mind of Gek 'Lhar managed to survive and came back.
Spoiler:
Show
Quote:
I recall that someone at 343i mentioned that Gek had an interesting backstory set for Spartan Ops but it got cut in the end.
Query Answer: Accessible Human [frumentarii] records contain [information extraction] records for [macto cognatus] Gek 'Lhar at [eyes] facility Midnight in connection with [terrorist] attack on Erde-Tyrene population center [December, 2557]. Inferred link to multiple fatalities and elevated threat condition at facility Midnight [February, 2558]. Further information contained in currently inaccessible cores.
I think they have backstories for characters and stuff. I am intrigued to know about the details. Gek escaped... hmm... I am really intruded about midnight facility... but how did he escape? Maybe there should be Spartan security across all facilities... them again... it might be done by now. There are specific MJOLNIR armours for that I think.
I think Gek is interesting and would like to see him in a book, comic or something like that.