Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

If you were the TV showrunner, who’d be the focus?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Say you were the showrunner for the Halo TV series, and Chief and others such as Halsey, Keyes, and Miranda weren't the focus and center of the series, who and what would you have as the main focus and lead characters? I'd probably have a squad of ODSTs be the lead characters during the 2540s. When it comes to characters like Chief and those recognize, if they HAD to be in there, I'd give them cameos here and there.
I'd like to see something focused on fighting the insurrection and then the Covenant later in the series. Maybe Covie reveal for the first season finale.
Same as you OP, I'd prefer a Band of Brothers style series following a single company of ODSTs. Though I do understand why they probably won't do that. Production costs would be through the roof to make that look high quality. Not to mention, it might be a tad insensitive to compare fictional characters to actual war heroes (that might just be me overthinking it though, which I have a tendency to do).
A Spartan-III Headhunter team would be my suggestion for the pitch. Headhunters are single-handedly one of the most bad*ss and equally deadly Spartans on the battlefield, and for this TV Show, I’d like them to take up on that opportunity to expand the lore on this top secret program and give us an insight into what they’re like. For a source of inspiration there is the Headhunter short story which I found really enjoyable and interesting.

Another option could be a Spartan-III Fireteam during the Human-Covenant War. We know of 4 teams for definite, but there may be potentially more, and there’s nothing to stop this. It’s very underdeveloped (so no overlapping canon issues on paper) and could have a good narrative to it. It’s not completely alienating either as Spartans are very recognisable and this could be taken advantage of.

An alternative third pitch would be similar to your suggestion OP. An ODST team. We’ve seen that Halo can make really good stories with a single ODST team (Halo: Helljumper and Halo 3: ODST are prime examples in my books). I think this could make the story more grounded and I’d be interested to see the outcome of this if it were to happen.
I would do a show following multiple points of view.
I feel a show following an Odst squad, a civilian family and a basic marine seperated from his team would be cool. And towards the end spartans would show up as like a big reveal.
My top 3 choices:

1. I want Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter for a Spartan-IV show. Complete with ODST flashbacks.
  2. Headhunters. They're one of my favorites in the lore, so it'd be a show about a new pair every season due to their short lifespans and high risk missions. Get some Colonel Ackerson/Kurt Ambrose/Chief Mendez scenes during training flashbacks. And to top it off some Operation Prometheus references and images to show the alternative to being a Headhunter.
  3. The Harvest Campaign. About mostly Admiral Cole and his fleet, but also including Marines and what not involved in ground battles.
My top 3 choices:

1. I want Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter for a Spartan-IV show. Complete with ODST flashbacks.
  2. Headhunters. They're one of my favorites in the lore, so it'd be a show about a new pair every season due to their short lifespans and high risk missions. Get some Colonel Ackerson/Kurt Ambrose/Chief Mendez scenes during training flashbacks. And to top it off some Operation Prometheus references and images to show the alternative to being a Headhunter.
  3. The Harvest Campaign. About mostly Admiral Cole and his fleet, but also including Marines and what not involved in ground battles.
Those are interesting choices, but as for your second point there are a few things I want to touch on, firstly, Headhunters typically have short lifespans, yes, but how many seasons could the show last if they die at the end of each season? There wasn't a great many Headhunters that served through the war (but there was 17 at all times, 6 teams of 2, and 5 kept as rotational members) as Ambrose and Mendez could only pull so many out of the mainline companies. Another thing tomention is that they didn't always die on missions, particularly if they were very skilled. Also, there were Beta Spartan-IIIs drafted as Headhunters too (such as Roland and Jonah in the Headhunter short story), and it wasn't just Alphas which your post only mentions.

Lastly, I just want to say I'm sorry if this comes off a bit brash, but I'm just really passionate about Spartan-III lore and I just wanted to polish up your second point, but apart from the minor inconsistencies, I think it is a good point
I'd focus on the insurrectionists since I feel like we don't see enough politics in the novels either. It would probably start with before the human-covenant war and follow a protagonist that becomes orphaned at some point because of the UNSC perhaps, justifying their hatred for them. I would start with them being a child and gradually have them grow up to a young adult. Over time, the protagonist eventually forms a group (maybe 4-5) and we follow their exploits against the UNSC. Near the end of the season, I'd start introducing the covenant and then that's when things get a little more complicated.

For this kind of story though, I would think switching between 3 POV characters would work well. I'm free to hear any additional ideas about what these would be! Perhaps the UNSC, Spartan, and an insurrectionist perspective! It would be interesting to see how an orphan grows up in the insurrectionist side vs a SPARTAN-II abductee.
Kennedy Lynn Mehaffey and Audrey Lasky during their ODST days fighting the Insurrection. This is a story I've needed to be told since 2012...
Live-action Halo will never work. Everything about the universe was designed for gaming, it just doesn't translate into film.

Take alien morphology. Ever notice how all the aliens in Star Trek, a franchise created for the screen, look very much like humans in makeup? Not only is this easy on the effects budget, it allows for the actors to convey emotion through their conveniently humanoid faces. Halo didn't have this restriction so you have Elites with squid jaws and Brutes that are 8 foot fall and Prophets with drooping foot-long necks. You'd need photorealistic CGI to depict them, that's 4x the entire production budget spent purely on rendering farms. Which is why Nightfall invented the "Covenant fringe" and this new show has Covenant-adopted humans and Forward Unto Dawn didn't show aliens at all outside poorly-lit battle scenes. And this is just one problem - you've also got the $$$$ needed for space-opera fight scenes and the lack of suitable material and the fact the franchise peaked in 2007 and you'll never get a tenth of the budget needed and even if you did there's no guarantee you'd come out with anything better than Jupiter Ascending...

If I was the showrunner? I'd scrap everything they've got so far and hire an anime studio. Perfect medium, none of the restrictions of live-action. For half the budget of this inevitable flop you could hire a top animation team and produce some beautiful short stories.
Live-action Halo will never work. Everything about the universe was designed for gaming, it just doesn't translate into film.

Take alien morphology. Ever notice how all the aliens in Star Trek, a franchise created for the screen, look very much like humans in makeup? Not only is this easy on the effects budget, it allows for the actors to convey emotion through their conveniently humanoid faces. Halo didn't have this restriction so you have Elites with squid jaws and Brutes that are 8 foot fall and Prophets with drooping foot-long necks. You'd need photorealistic CGI to depict them, that's 4x the entire production budget spent purely on rendering farms. Which is why Nightfall invented the "Covenant fringe" and this new show has Covenant-adopted humans and Forward Unto Dawn didn't show aliens at all outside poorly-lit battle scenes. And this is just one problem - you've also got the $$$$ needed for space-opera fight scenes and the lack of suitable material and the fact the franchise peaked in 2007 and you'll never get a tenth of the budget needed and even if you did there's no guarantee you'd come out with anything better than Jupiter Ascending...

If I was the showrunner? I'd scrap everything they've got so far and hire an anime studio. Perfect medium, none of the restrictions of live-action. For half the budget of this inevitable flop you could hire a top animation team and produce some beautiful short stories.
Yeah, a lot of the stuff in Halo is extremely hard to pull off in live action. If I were showrunner, it wouldn't be live action but CG. I'd want someone like Blur or Axis to do it. Yeah, it's be a lot of money, but I think MS/343 and HBO would have enough money to pull something off like that. Like imagine having 9 episodes in a season, with each episode being like 45-50 minutes long. Unlikely, but I'd love that.

This post has been hidden.

I'd make the main characters two Sangheili brothers who are stationed on Delta Halo during the Great Schism, They fight against the Brutes together and escape the ring. During the conflicts after the Covenant War, they separate. The older brother joins the Arbiter's Swords and the younger takes command of a Covenant Remnant fleet and starts rebuilding the old fallen empire, while being chased by an ONI agent. A lot of references, easter eggs, Sangheili culture, honor and LORE.
I would focus on the UNSC navy or Marines as they fight the rebels and then the covenant.
I've actually been thinking about this for a while. I'd focus on Jun directly after he departs the team on Reach. I'd base the first few episodes on the "A Fistful of Arrows" fan comic since it pretty much picks up where we left Jun off in the game. The mid-season would consist of Jun helping some civilian survivors in a shanty town and end with him climbing a broken space elevator to get off-planet. I'd also have him speak with Noble 6 prior to his death since we know he doesn't die until a couple hours after helping the Autumn leave the planet. Since "Fistful of Arrows" is as canon as a fan comic can get I think going with that set of events would do well to guide the story in its opening episodes.
Focus: Elite Intern #3

Story: His time on High Charity as an Elite intern and follows his progress to middle management.

Style: Think Office Space but Halo.

Prophet of Middle Management: "Yeah, uh, Elite Intern #3... yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in this weekend and file all the reports for our latest planet glassings mm'kay. Thanks a bunch."
If the show was set in the Covenant War (which would be harder to pull off I think), I’d do something focusing on the UNSC Navy and Air Force and their defensive efforts throughout the war. Maybe throw in some Marines and ODSTs where appropriate (things like boarding actions, planet evac and such). My thinking is that the UNSC never fared too well in space battle for the most part. Focusing a show on one of the more grim parts of the war could be interesting (especially in the early-mid war period) and it would be a good way to show parts of Halo never seen visually. Everything I’ve read about space combat in Halo makes it sound pretty neat, but also violent and one sided in favor of the Covenant. To see it as a (presumably) high budget TV series would be awesome. Perhaps follow a battle group or a ship in one as it fights losing battles almost every time. Steering away from ground combat could be a nice change of pace for Halo.
I'd like to see something focused on fighting the insurrection and then the Covenant later in the series. Maybe Covie reveal for the first season finale.
OPTRE would be a dream TV show since there's so much action and battle to be told
My top 3 choices:

Those are interesting choices, but as for your second point there are a few things I want to touch on, firstly, Headhunters typically have short lifespans, yes, but how many seasons could the show last if they die at the end of each season? There wasn't a great many Headhunters that served through the war (but there was 17 at all times, 6 teams of 2, and 5 kept as rotational members) as Ambrose and Mendez could only pull so many out of the mainline companies. Another thing tomention is that they didn't always die on missions, particularly if they were very skilled. Also, there were Beta Spartan-IIIs drafted as Headhunters too (such as Roland and Jonah in the Headhunter short story), and it wasn't just Alphas which your post only mentions.

Lastly, I just want to say I'm sorry if this comes off a bit brash, but I'm just really passionate about Spartan-III lore and I just wanted to polish up your second point, but apart from the minor inconsistencies, I think it is a good point
I understand. But I didn't mention solely Alpha company. I didn't mention any company to be specific. And I know about all that lore for Headhunters, but I feel like that type of series would still be interesting. Sure not all of them need to die, but to have a show where the main characters typically die by the end of a season would be great and different. There could be a part about Jun when he was one before joining Noble. My point is the series doesn't have to be very long, especially if you make it the type that has different themes every few seasons.
My top 3 choices:

I understand. But I didn't mention solely Alpha company. I didn't mention any company to be specific. And I know about all that lore for Headhunters, but I feel like that type of series would still be interesting. Sure not all of them need to die, but to have a show where the main characters typically die by the end of a season would be great and different. There could be a part about Jun when he was one before joining Noble. My point is the series doesn't have to be very long, especially if you make it the type that has different themes every few seasons.
To clear the up the part highlighted in bold, I know you didn't solely mention Alpha Company, but in the section where you discuss the alternative to being a Headhunter, you only mention Op: Prometheus (that Alpha ompany undertook). I don't know if this may have just been an oversight, but regardless, you could have the same for Op: Torpedo that the mainline Beta Company undertook in the same scene?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2