Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Insurrectionists in future Halo's?

OP Super1ority

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Would you want Insurrectionists in future Halo's?

Poll Ended

From what I understand the insurrection is returning to the universe. I don't know much about them post human-covenant war but I would like to ask if not only would it make sense to see them and their influence (not as a main antagonist or anything of the sort) but also to poll if people would be interested in seeing them.

Personally I think it would be interesting to perhaps run into them while fighting a bigger battle and have to see the relations between the UNSC and the insurrection while under the pressure of an even bigger threat. We have seen aspects of separatism and insurrection in some Halo titles like Halo Reach and a little of Halo 5 but it's a big part of the universe that seems somewhat left out of the games.
I completely agree, especially since the Insurrection re-emerged after the war ended. Some insurrection groups even joined Covenant remnant factions.
I wouldn't want them but in the lore they have, as Shisno said, returned post-war.
Spoiler:
Show
SableVENOM wrote:

Spoiler:
Show

I'm sorry, where are you getting any of this? Have you even read New Blood?
SableVENOM wrote:
I wouldn't want them but in the lore they have, as Shisno said, returned post-war.
Spoiler:
Show

I think you're getting mixed up there. The Rookie died on Draco III after a group of human insurrectionists seize a government building. He was shot and captured by humans, and then executed by their leader after a standoff.

I don't understand why you've made a dig at 343 there. Rookie's death had a profound effect on the group and set events in motion that led to Buck becoming a Spartan. It was hardly meaningless and unjustified like the deaths of Black Team.

OT: I'd like to see the innies in cutscenes, perhaps working alongside the Keepers of the One Truth. I don't see how human enemies would work from a gameplay standpoint however. Ironically, fighting human enemies in Halo would be alien and likely difficult to execute properly.
Oh, my bad then. Must've gotten some stuff mixed up. Still a dumb decision which 343 did, IMO.
I think it could work, but they'd have to be secondary to the Covenant or something, lest they be annoying to fight like Prometheans. I thought up an idea of an isolated Innie cell that stole UNSC tech and drastically modified it. They should be limited to small bursts on most difficulties due to their use of human weapons.

• There'd be low-level guys who carry AR's and Magnums, maybe a BR. They have little armor and function similar to Grunts; can be headshotted.
  • Mid-tier guys with AR's, SMG's, occasionally Shotguns and similar weapons. They wear face shields and heavier armor, making them equivalent to Jackals or Elites depending on the variation.
  • And High-level guys with ballistic shields and grenade launchers, sometimes rocket launchers with no shield. They have the heaviest armor and can tank most attacks. These would obviously be the Hunter equivalent.
Maybe that would work but I'm not sure.
Luke Del wrote:
SableVENOM wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

I don't understand why you've made a dig at 343 there. Rookie's death had a profound effect on the group and set events in motion that led to Buck becoming a Spartan. It was hardly meaningless and unjustified like the deaths of Black Team.
And fuel their character assassination for Mickey.
After Hunt The Truth, I thought we were going to fight insurrectionists alongside elites. I thought the incident at that embassy was going to be a mission and we were going to have to use Artemis to identify who the terrorist were and kill them without hurting innocent bystanders. That would have given the game an M rating easily though and 343i was going for a T rating with Halo 5 obviously.
slvr cobra wrote:
I think it could work, but they'd have to be secondary to the Covenant or something, lest they be annoying to fight like Prometheans. I thought up an idea of an isolated Innie cell that stole UNSC tech and drastically modified it. They should be limited to small bursts on most difficulties due to their use of human weapons.

• There'd be low-level guys who carry AR's and Magnums, maybe a BR. They have little armor and function similar to Grunts; can be headshotted.
  • Mid-tier guys with AR's, SMG's, occasionally Shotguns and similar weapons. They wear face shields and heavier armor, making them equivalent to Jackals or Elites depending on the variation.
  • And High-level guys with ballistic shields and grenade launchers, sometimes rocket launchers with no shield. They have the heaviest armor and can tank most attacks. These would obviously be the Hunter equivalent.
Maybe that would work but I'm not sure.
Rouge Spartan's or other genetically altered humans would make cool bosses. It would be crazy to fight Soren in some kind of crazy custom Moljinr armor.
ChasCT2 wrote:
Luke Del wrote:
SableVENOM wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

I didn't like what they did with Mickey but I wouldn't call it a character assassination, it did have a basis. He was always the naive one of the group, so it would make sense that he's easily manipulated; especially so after the recent trauma of losing his squadmate.
Luke Del wrote:
ChasCT2 wrote:
Luke Del wrote:
SableVENOM wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

I didn't like what they did with Mickey but I wouldn't call it a character assassination, it did have a basis. He was always the naive one of the group, so it would make sense that he's easily manipulated; especially so after the recent trauma of losing his squadmate.
So this isn't character assassination?
ChasCT2 wrote:
Luke Del wrote:
ChasCT2 wrote:
Luke Del wrote:
SableVENOM wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

So this isn't character assassination?
Well when you purposely simplify a complex issue to fit your narrative, anything can sound stupid.
From what I understand the insurrection is returning to the universe. I don't know much about them post human-covenant war but I would like to ask if not only would it make sense to see them and their influence (not as a main antagonist or anything of the sort) but also to poll if people would be interested in seeing them.

Personally I think it would be interesting to perhaps run into them while fighting a bigger battle and have to see the relations between the UNSC and the insurrection while under the pressure of an even bigger threat. We have seen aspects of separatism and insurrection in some Halo titles like Halo Reach and a little of Halo 5 but it's a big part of the universe that seems somewhat left out of the games.
Well, fighting alongside Insurrectionists in the Halo series is something that's been done in Reach before. One of the levels has you assisting some Insurrectionists to fight off the Covenant, and if you successfully protect them, you get to "confiscate" some of their more powerful weapons.

As for fighting against the Insurrectionists, I'd be very careful of that. Maybe you could create some interesting interactions in a sort of Spec Ops: The Line sorta way, but the surprise is ruined because longtime fans already know the Covenant are a much greater threat than some Insurrectionists. Then again, if a game fighting Insurrectionists AFTER the Covenant war were to come about, there's still the chance of that moral dilemma, as well as undertones of futility in galactic peace, like what was discussed in Halo Legends.

Then again, this is something that is VERY easy to -yoink- up. If the game were half or entirely fighting Insurrectionists and they don't do enough about the whole futility of peace thing, it is far too easy for this series to become the Call of Duty clone plenty of people accuse it of being. I remember one part of Halo 3: ODST where after doing a long series of tasks, you are FORCED to kill a human who turns on you. That came as a HUGE shock to me as it was the only time in the series I was forced to kill my fellow man. Having the whole game be like that would make the shock factor wear off completely.

TL:DR Fighting Insurrectionists could be an interesting premise, but has too much chance of becoming the Davis Family Vacation to ODST's No Russian. (God, I feel ashamed for knowing what one of those is.)
Well, fighting alongside Insurrectionists in the Halo series is something that's been done in Reach before. One of the levels has you assisting some Insurrectionists to fight off the Covenant, and if you successfully protect them, you get to "confiscate" some of their more powerful weapons.

As for fighting against the Insurrectionists, I'd be very careful of that. Maybe you could create some interesting interactions in a sort of Spec Ops: The Line sorta way, but the surprise is ruined because longtime fans already know the Covenant are a much greater threat than some Insurrectionists. Then again, if a game fighting Insurrectionists AFTER the Covenant war were to come about, there's still the chance of that moral dilemma, as well as undertones of futility in galactic peace, like what was discussed in Halo Legends.

Then again, this is something that is VERY easy to -yoink- up. If the game were half or entirely fighting Insurrectionists and they don't do enough about the whole futility of peace thing, it is far too easy for this series to become the Call of Duty clone plenty of people accuse it of being. I remember one part of Halo 3: ODST where after doing a long series of tasks, you are FORCED to kill a human who turns on you. That came as a HUGE shock to me as it was the only time in the series I was forced to kill my fellow man. Having the whole game be like that would make the shock factor wear off completely.

TL:DR Fighting Insurrectionists could be an interesting premise, but has too much chance of becoming the Davis Family Vacation to ODST's No Russian. (God, I feel ashamed for knowing what one of those is.)
I agree with most of this, there isn't very many games that have the "No Russian" or "Davis Family Vacation" shock value. Those missions really drive home the importance of what you are doing and why the enemy has to be stopped. I think it would be better for the mission to end up being like one of these two however because like I said, it lays the ground work for the terrible things at work and clarify why you are stopping them.

All that aside... I kind of used to kill the Navy guys to get ammo for my pistol in halo CE... not to mention the marines that lost their minds and were shooting at me when I came through the door. I used to punch him until I remembered I am a super soldier in a 1/2 ton suit. my punch would crater his face... poor crazy guy...
As soon as the war between the covenant and humanity ended the Insurrection started back up, it would make perfect sense to me.
Well probably, the insurrectionists are still at large and still are highly active, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were in future Halo games.
Fighting a mantis would be pretty cool, but as a ground troop, they would feel a bit generic. I wouldn't really want them to have a profound effect on the story in the games though, it would seem odd to me seeing as how they only seem to exist so that there was a need for an army before the covies, or to blow something up, like Rookies brains. I don't think they would be able to sway anything the Chief could do though.
Fighting a mantis would be pretty cool, but as a ground troop, they would feel a bit generic. I wouldn't really want them to have a profound effect on the story in the games though, it would seem odd to me seeing as how they only seem to exist so that there was a need for an army before the covies, or to blow something up, like Rookies brains. I don't think they would be able to sway anything the Chief could do though.
They nearly killed Chief once, they might just be able to get the upper hand somehow.
Thats a good idea..
The created is allied with humans...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2