Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Insurrectionists in future Halo's?

OP Super1ority

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
From what I understand the insurrection is returning to the universe. I don't know much about them post human-covenant war but I would like to ask if not only would it make sense to see them and their influence (not as a main antagonist or anything of the sort) but also to poll if people would be interested in seeing them.

Personally I think it would be interesting to perhaps run into them while fighting a bigger battle and have to see the relations between the UNSC and the insurrection while under the pressure of an even bigger threat. We have seen aspects of separatism and insurrection in some Halo titles like Halo Reach and a little of Halo 5 but it's a big part of the universe that seems somewhat left out of the games.
Well, fighting alongside Insurrectionists in the Halo series is something that's been done in Reach before. One of the levels has you assisting some Insurrectionists to fight off the Covenant, and if you successfully protect them, you get to "confiscate" some of their more powerful weapons.

As for fighting against the Insurrectionists, I'd be very careful of that. Maybe you could create some interesting interactions in a sort of Spec Ops: The Line sorta way, but the surprise is ruined because longtime fans already know the Covenant are a much greater threat than some Insurrectionists. Then again, if a game fighting Insurrectionists AFTER the Covenant war were to come about, there's still the chance of that moral dilemma, as well as undertones of futility in galactic peace, like what was discussed in Halo Legends.

Then again, this is something that is VERY easy to -yoink- up. If the game were half or entirely fighting Insurrectionists and they don't do enough about the whole futility of peace thing, it is far too easy for this series to become the Call of Duty clone plenty of people accuse it of being. I remember one part of Halo 3: ODST where after doing a long series of tasks, you are FORCED to kill a human who turns on you. That came as a HUGE shock to me as it was the only time in the series I was forced to kill my fellow man. Having the whole game be like that would make the shock factor wear off completely.

TL:DR Fighting Insurrectionists could be an interesting premise, but has too much chance of becoming the Davis Family Vacation to ODST's No Russian. (God, I feel ashamed for knowing what one of those is.)
I was thinking maybe you wouldn't see them as hostiles in a battle besides their dialogue suggesting animosity between the groups as they are fighting something like the Prometheans. Even some cool scripting where the non-essential innies throw the odd grenade your way or something. They wouldn't be enemies but much like the marines you can kill them and if you are aggressive enough towards them they attempt to fight back as some marines do in previous Halo titles.
I would not mind adding them in to make a more call of duty style multiplayer mode where no Spartan's are involved.

Or I would not mind if we got a game similar to ODST but you play as one of them. You get to see the world from their viewpoint which is actually a cool thing.

Spoiler:
Show
From what I understand the insurrection is returning to the universe. I don't know much about them post human-covenant war but I would like to ask if not only would it make sense to see them and their influence (not as a main antagonist or anything of the sort) but also to poll if people would be interested in seeing them.

Personally I think it would be interesting to perhaps run into them while fighting a bigger battle and have to see the relations between the UNSC and the insurrection while under the pressure of an even bigger threat. We have seen aspects of separatism and insurrection in some Halo titles like Halo Reach and a little of Halo 5 but it's a big part of the universe that seems somewhat left out of the games.
Well, fighting alongside Insurrectionists in the Halo series is something that's been done in Reach before. One of the levels has you assisting some Insurrectionists to fight off the Covenant, and if you successfully protect them, you get to "confiscate" some of their more powerful weapons.

As for fighting against the Insurrectionists, I'd be very careful of that. Maybe you could create some interesting interactions in a sort of Spec Ops: The Line sorta way, but the surprise is ruined because longtime fans already know the Covenant are a much greater threat than some Insurrectionists. Then again, if a game fighting Insurrectionists AFTER the Covenant war were to come about, there's still the chance of that moral dilemma, as well as undertones of futility in galactic peace, like what was discussed in Halo Legends.

Then again, this is something that is VERY easy to -yoink- up. If the game were half or entirely fighting Insurrectionists and they don't do enough about the whole futility of peace thing, it is far too easy for this series to become the Call of Duty clone plenty of people accuse it of being. I remember one part of Halo 3: ODST where after doing a long series of tasks, you are FORCED to kill a human who turns on you. That came as a HUGE shock to me as it was the only time in the series I was forced to kill my fellow man. Having the whole game be like that would make the shock factor wear off completely.

TL:DR Fighting Insurrectionists could be an interesting premise, but has too much chance of becoming the Davis Family Vacation to ODST's No Russian. (God, I feel ashamed for knowing what one of those is.)
I was thinking maybe you wouldn't see them as hostiles in a battle besides their dialogue suggesting animosity between the groups as they are fighting something like the Prometheans. Even some cool scripting where the non-essential innies throw the odd grenade your way or something. They wouldn't be enemies but much like the marines you can kill them and if you are aggressive enough towards them they attempt to fight back as some marines do in previous Halo titles.
Now, that might actually be a good idea. Then, one of the numerous times my AI teammates kill me, there could actually be a plot reason, other than they forget you're not supposed to toss a frag at or drive directly at your own team.
If at any point in Halo you are out in a position to kill human forces from any perspective that is not alien then the franchise will lose what makes it special and become another story where you eventually shoot other people. It's such a stupid, generic, outdated concept for humanity to fight itself in a game that's focused on fighting 3 different alien threats. It's as uncreative as it is distasteful in regards to a scifi shooter set on other worlds.
If at any point in Halo you are out in a position to kill human forces from any perspective that is not alien then the franchise will lose what makes it special and become another story where you eventually shoot other people. It's such a stupid, generic, outdated concept for humanity to fight itself in a game that's focused on fighting 3 different alien threats. It's as uncreative as it is distasteful in regards to a scifi shooter set on other worlds.
That's why I stated they would not be main antagonist, they would remain antagonists by conflict of interest and political position. Their purpose within the games would be to add another dynamic and extra narrative to the universe. This isn't to replace the covenant or the Prometheans but to add a new array of characters who are stuck in the middle of another conflict they would most likely have an interesting perspective of. So this isn't an attempt to change Halo but explore a political conflict not really seen in the games.
Maybe they can another type of enemy in warzone?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2