OP Verses Fatum

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. ...
  7. 16
Currently, it is illegal under international law to recruit an individual under the age of 18. Now, though Halo is set 500 odd years in the future, most of the mannerisms and social structures we have today are still in place. So, unless the was some enormous social change between now and the events of the game, then it is reasonable to think that it is still a war crime to recruit an under-18. However, the UEG is presented in a slightly fascist light, evidenced by the justifications used by Insurrectionist movements. A fascist government would have less trouble implementing law changes to allow for child recruitment. So, I'm guessing that Dr. Halsey would still be a war criminal, but if she was tried for war crimes then ONI could just 'absorb' her into the system. To the outside world she is in jail for war crimes, but in reality she would just be working behind the scenes. And isn't that what happens in Spartan Ops. She gets brought in as a criminal, but she has extensive access to the Infinity, and no-one is fazed by this. The cut-scene at the start of Halo 4 appears to be an interrogation to establish what crimes she committed exactly, but then it is revealed it was actually in order to isolate what made the Spartan II's effective. So ONI, at least, doesn;t care, what she has done, and they have a lot of power.

Thanks for reading.
The child recruitment thing was still illegal, they were forcibly conscripted and faulty flash clones were left in their place to cover up what happened.

Even if the parents had agreed, I believe, with waivers, either 16 or 17 was the earliest voluntary recruitment age, otherwise 18. I may be incorrect on that, I know there was some stuff in Sadie's Story that spoke to it, possibly Glasslands, but I thought there was also something involving Thorne.
In my view, Halsey is really the only good guy in the games anymore. She created a program that led to the end of the covenant, and ended being interrogated and imprisoned by those she tried to protect. She acts almost as protective as a mother would over her Spartans, particularly the Spartan-II's and simply doesn't believe that they can be replaced. She designed the 'perfect' soldier using unorthodox means, and is, in a way, seen as a war criminal. As shown in all the games, time has turned her cold as she has been pushed around by the governments and people she chose to try and protect, and Halsey,in my opinion, made a well thought out choice to 'side' with the Storm Covenant (I use that term loosely).

-M
Dr. Halsey was following her orders to give oni soldiers t fight the inserection oni never said she couldn't kidnap children, if oni had a problem with it why didn't the oni agents with halsey kidnapp the children
well, she still knew what she was doing. She might not be the worst one of the bunch that worked on the SPARTAN-II program but she still holds the responsibility for her actions. Its really about kidnapping kids and using them on experiments, the training wasnt the only part. And many of those kids died because of the program. Its like the usage of child soldiers in africa + usage of experiments. The warlords might be the ones ordering others to do it but the lower caste is still responsible for their actions. You cant really put all blame on someone ordering you to do something horrendous.
but i guess this is more like a crime against humanity than a war crime.
sure, shes not the only one and everyone that was knowingly part of the program (in a sense that they knew they were using kids) should be held accused of the crime. But it should be checked individually but i dont recall that they could have forced halsey at gunpoint to do their bidding.
Sure it is evil to kiddap young 6 year old childs, genemanipulate them and make them to supersoldiers but so is Einsteins atombomb and he is no war criminal.
But except for Einsteins bomb... Dr.Halseys Spartans helped us humans against rebels at first and later against the covenant and through her Spartan 2 program we also got Spartan 3 and Spartan 4, made from others.
But at the same time she was hired by O.N.I to do that stuff and got turned into a scapegoat for blame. If Halsey is a war criminal then so is all of O.N.I
I would just like to say, that No she is not a war criminal. She was doing what was told of her and her duty to protect the human race from itself and it turned out that she did a greater deal when the aliens came to glass them.
She save the humanity
Alvaruk0 wrote:
She save the humanity
So?

That doesnt absolve her of responsibility for her actions.
People seem to get hung up on this idea that its right vs wrong, morality. Its not. Its illegal vs legal. What she did was clearly stated to be dangerously illegal , making the clones to replace the children was simply icing on the cake. It doesn't really matter if you like the fact she saved everyone. It doesn't change anything.
Alvaruk0 wrote:
She save the humanity
So?

She SAVED the humanity and all the galaxy of the activation of the Halos
People seem to get hung up on this idea that its right vs wrong, morality. Its not. Its illegal vs legal. What she did was clearly stated to be dangerously illegal , making the clones to replace the children was simply icing on the cake. It doesn't really matter if you like the fact she saved everyone. It doesn't change anything.
THANK YOU! Halsey should be punished solely because it acts as a deterrent against people doing such things in the future. Even if it's morally right, the perpatrators should accept that their imprisonment as a nessersarcy consequence of their actions. If Halsey is willing to sacrafice children, then she should be willing to sacrafice her own freedom as well. If not, she's a hypocrite.
Alvaruk0 wrote:
Alvaruk0 wrote:
She save the humanity
So?

She SAVED the humanity and all the galaxy of the activation of the Halos
So what does that have to do with legality?

It doesn't matter about the morality, just the legality (although she's did some horrible things from a moral perspective)

it doesn't matter what her work did, just if it was legal or illegal. And she blatantly broke the laws on human rights, along with a number of specific ones named in the lore. Her position is legally indefensible.
I would just like to say, that No she is not a war criminal. She was doing what was told of her and her duty to protect the human race from itself and it turned out that she did a greater deal when the aliens came to glass them.
So the guards and commanders of the death camps during the holocaust are not war criminals because they were doing what they were told and doing their duty to Hitler and the Nazi party right? Terriorist suicide bombers must not be war criminals by this logic either because they are doing what they are told and in their point of view doing their duty to their beliefs.

Yeah, notice the fallacy of your logic?

I would say Halsey is a war criminal but at the same time is not one.

She did commit crimes necessary to be called a war criminal despite being ordered by O.N.I to do so.

At the same time she does seem to be trying to redeem herself by acknowledging her mistakes.

I also believe that Halsey was a major scapegoat too because there is no way Parangosky could not have known about the whole kidnapping children and flash-cloning them. There literally is no way Halsey did that without approval from O.N.I.
So the guards and commanders of the death camps during the holocaust are not war criminals because they were doing what they were told and doing their duty to Hitler and the Nazi party right? Terriorist suicide bombers must not be war criminals by this logic either because they are doing what they are told and in their point of view doing their duty to their beliefs.

Yeah, notice the fallacy of your logic?

I would say Halsey is a war criminal but at the same time is not one.

She did commit crimes necessary to be called a war criminal despite being ordered by O.N.I to do so.

At the same time she does seem to be trying to redeem herself by acknowledging her mistakes.

I also believe that Halsey was a major scapegoat too because there is no way Parangosky could not have known about the whole kidnapping children and flash-cloning them. There literally is no way Halsey did that without approval from O.N.I.
It was for the best that she did that, if she didn't they would have lost and there wouldn't be anything then. He actions were justified when she made the humans win.
Sure it is evil to kiddap young 6 year old childs, genemanipulate them and make them to supersoldiers but so is Einsteins atombomb and he is no war criminal.
But except for Einsteins bomb... Dr.Halseys Spartans helped us humans against rebels at first and later against the covenant and through her Spartan 2 program we also got Spartan 3 and Spartan 4, made from others.
But at the same time she was hired by O.N.I to do that stuff and got turned into a scapegoat for blame. If Halsey is a war criminal then so is all of O.N.I
That's so true
I say no. Ends sometimes justifies the means. Take for example: You want an egg for breakfast but you must first go out to the chicken coop and rip a freshly laid egg away from a bird just to eat it. Sounds vulgar when you think of it like that but it really isn't. On another note: ONI has done a lot worse.
Yes. Halsey is a War Criminal. Despite her creation of the Spartan Project, Catherine Halsey has kidnapped and killed children to make her Spartans.
I say no. Ends sometimes justifies the means. Take for example: You want an egg for breakfast but you must first go out to the chicken coop and rip a freshly laid egg away from a bird just to eat it. Sounds vulgar when you think of it like that but it really isn't. On another note: ONI has done a lot worse.
Yes, because taking an egg from a chicken is really no different from abducting kids.
Just because the end justifies the means doesn't mean that it isn't a war crime, she is by definition a war criminal regardless of whether it was necessary or not, for example, the Japanese Military's actions against civilian populations was justified, it was the highest adherence of the art of war one could possibly adopt which is why the IJLA was so effect thus the end justifies the means and yet they are labelled as war crimes. Also, General Curtis LeMay's personal account " I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal" is illogical if put into the frame work of ends justify means, war crimes don't stop being war crimes just because it turned out for the best, and you're right ONI has done alot worse but history is written by the victors and what's not written is just as crucial as what is written, Halsey is a war criminal by definition but only labelled one because she is the easiest scapegoat given the political pressure to retire the Spartan IIs entirely (as seen in hunt the truth) due to their arguably unstable natures.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. ...
  7. 16