Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Is Halo lore more complex than Star Wars?

OP Aur Echo

Because I know there are a ton of Star Wars books 'n stuff too. Thanks :)
There really should a report option for 'low quality OP' or a minimum word count for OPs before they're allowed to be posted.

You should really contribute more to this if you want there to be a legitimate discussion thread and not just a 'hey look ma I boosted my post count'. You should state if you believe that Halo is or is not and clarify WHY you have those feelings. This is otherwise no better than spam.
There really should a report option for 'low quality OP' or a minimum word count for OPs before they're allowed to be posted.

You should really contribute more to this if you want there to be a legitimate discussion thread and not just a 'hey look ma I boosted my post count'. You should state if you believe that Halo is or is not and clarify WHY you have those feelings. This is otherwise no better than spam.
I second this motion, but to answer the OP it's definitely Star Wars.

What appeals about Halo is that it's a Sci-fi and not a Space Opera. Not going to commit in going more in depth than that.
100% Star Wars, I mean I’m a Halo Lore nut and there is a ton of stuff that’s in the Universe about it, but Star Wars seriously, just the planets and species that live on them would be enough to drown out Halo.
Star Wars has another advantage over Halo - It's built on a less rocky foundation and, as a franchise, it's prepared to take the step of more thorough retconning, to the point of stripping some material of its canonical status if need be (for better or worse).
The reluctance to go that far with genuinely problematic or unwanted material, or aspects of it, has been an issue with Halo for well over a decade.
Really started to take root with First Strike though.
BrySkye wrote:
Star Wars has another advantage over Halo - It's built on a less rocky foundation and, as a franchise, it's prepared to take the step of more thorough retconning, to the point of stripping some material of its canonical status if need be (for better or worse).
The reluctance to go that far with genuinely problematic or unwanted material, or aspects of it, has been an issue with Halo for well over a decade.
Really started to take root with First Strike though.
Another thing-Star wars is 40 years old this year, as compared to Halo's 18. It has had over twice the amount of time to develop as Halo, so naturally it is more complex and diverse.
Also, it all depends on /which/ Star Wars canon you're using for the comparison.

If you're using the terrible new canon Disney has introduced, then Halo might have a bit of a leg up. If you're using the old Expanded Universe canon, then Star Wars all the way.

Basically the only things worth keeping in the new Star Wars canon is the stuff Dave Filoni has added. Everything else is garbage. In a dumpster. Which is on fire, sliding downward into a landfill.
I'd say no. Even with the declaration of EU as non-canon, or rather as "Myth and Legend" (non-canon, but potentially happened), the breadth of SW lore is simply massive.
I will agree with the above that Star Wars is far more complex. Apart from the limited lore we have before the Halo Array fired 100,000 years ago, almost the entirety of the Halo story takes place inside of the Orion Arm. Not only that, the Star Wars galaxy is physically larger and more diverse (I think 120k light years in diameter vs 100k light years, but I could be wrong). Physical size doesn't necessarily equate to more complex lore, but there are more opportunities to develop stories when you're dealing with an entire galaxy versus a single arm of that galaxy.

As others have said, Star Wars has been around a lot longer than Halo, meaning more time to develop the universe.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the majority of Halo lore revolves around current humanity and how the galaxy has affected it. There have only been a handful of books and other media that entirely focus on a topic that doesn't involve humanity. Even the Forerunner Trilogy involves current humanity since each book is an in-universe item that was found by the UNSC.
Star Wars definitely has more lore. Halo focuses on making things as accurate and consistent as possible, focusing more on the events and the characters' journey, following their paths and elaborating their views on current major events. Star Wars, on the other hand, goes WAY too deep into a character's journey. Not even their thoughts (and I mean all of 'em) are safe from being explored.
Just Vader's story during the Empire's rise (before Rogue One) tells a LOT. Heck, Star Wars even goes and tells the story of random characters. An example is how a Royal Guard reacted to seeing Palpatine using the Force (and using it to torture giant beasts like it was another Sunday walk).
Or how an Imperial Stormtrooper betrayed the Empire which allowed Han Solo and company to leave Mos Eisley in A New Hope.

Or... how a nurse became lovesick for Vader, collecting every souvenir she could find for her collection and even day-dreaming not only her and Vader dancing (while other couples watch in... horror?) but also Vader teaching her how to use the Dark Side and using it to choke a doctor. In fact, after that same doctor found out about her souvenir collection and threw it into a trash compactor, she entered the room to find them.
And when she finally saw Vader's face, as she was creepily walking towards him, promising him companionship and love for all eternity... she was then just stabbed by Vader. ( and let me make it clear as well that no one was allowed to see Vader's face. So.. if you ever see his face, you're likely to die in a span of seconds).

A story so insignificant that still came to fruition.

There's also Star Wars Infinities, which explore alternatives to the Star Wars story (such as Luke failing to destroy the Death Star in the Battle of Yavin IV).

The amount of lore within Star Wars, be it Canon or Legends, is sometimes so absurd it even feels impossible for some events to have happened.
Star Wars’ lore is only more complex in the sense that their is (or rather was, before the great de-canonizing) a metric buttload of it. Every one-off background character has been given a huge expansive backstory.
Star Wars Lore -
Boring cluster f with only a few actually interesting Expanded Universe stories most of which is pointless anyway because Disney threw it in the bin.
Star Wars lore is only "complex" because it's filled with boring waffel (like what every button on Darth Vader's suit does (seriously)). It's bloated and boring.

Halo Lore -
Interesting and doesn't go too in depth as for it to become boring. Leaves some pretty good mysteries which you can head cannon (covenant fringe, precursor's etc). Not saying it's perfect, there are some flaws and imo it leaves some areas too unexplored leaving some areas just unexplored entirely but otherwise it's really good
UK1V wrote:
100% Star Wars, I mean I’m a Halo Lore nut and there is a ton of stuff that’s in the Universe about it, but Star Wars seriously, just the planets and species that live on them would be enough to drown out Halo.
Got to also understand Star wars is an older franchise. The story telling is by x30 amount of authors and boards created to tell them.
Star Wars Lore -
Boring cluster f with only a few actually interesting Expanded Universe stories most of which is pointless anyway because Disney threw it in the bin.
Star Wars lore is only "complex" because it's filled with boring waffel (like what every button on Darth Vader's suit does (seriously)). It's bloated and boring.

Halo Lore -
Interesting and doesn't go too in depth as for it to become boring. Leaves some pretty good mysteries which you can head cannon (covenant fringe, precursor's etc). Not saying it's perfect, there are some flaws and imo it leaves some areas too unexplored leaving some areas just unexplored entirely but otherwise it's really good
This exactly.

Star Wars is also seen as a Space Opera while Halo is more grounded (I don't know know what genre but Space Opera doesn't sound right for it) I'm sure Toa Freak can write up a good wall of text for this.
The Halo universe while very large and constantly expanding is I would say bigger than the current Star Wars cannon universe. If we go back to Star Wars legends, halo is a lot smaller. But currently halo has more lore and information.
As my 2 favourite franchises, I’d say that Star Wars lore is bigger and covers more ground, but Halo’s lore is more detailed, intricate and focused.
No, it's the other way around.

The people who make Halo don't seem to understand that there is more to an expanded universe than a bunch of books.
I don’t think so. Because Star Wars now has Canon and Legends material which can get very confusing at times. Also the amount of books and novels that Star Wars has vastly overcomes Halo.