Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Is the Flood considered above Top Secret?

OP Trigger Happy M

In the Halo universe, just around the end of Halo 3 and the end of the human Covenant war when humanity was wiping out remaining Covenant forces on Earth and Lord Hood was prepared to make his final stand at Earth, how do you think they handled knowledge of the Flood? A large part of Africa had been glassed, a few Marines and some civilian workers in Voi in the industrial part of town had possibly been evacuated during the initial outbreak.

In preparation for a final stand against possibly a full scale flood army, do you think Lord Hood or any in the UNSC had disclosed the existence of the Flood to the public? Specifically what they were, and the best known ways of protecting one's self from them with the limited knowledge ONI had gathered from the Battles of Installation 04 and 05?
Yo tbh the flood are sketchy
In the Halo universe, just around the end of Halo 3 and the end of the human Covenant war when humanity was wiping out remaining Covenant forces on Earth and Lord Hood was prepared to make his final stand at Earth, how do you think they handled knowledge of the Flood? A large part of Africa had been glassed, a few Marines and some civilian workers in Voi in the industrial part of town had possibly been evacuated during the initial outbreak.

In preparation for a final stand against possibly a full scale flood army, do you think Lord Hood or any in the UNSC had disclosed the existence of the Flood to the public? Specifically what they were, and the best known ways of protecting one's self from them with the limited knowledge ONI had gathered from the Battles of Installation 04 and 05?
Given that the UNSC is trying to keep the Forerunners top-secret, I'd say it's safe to say that the Flood is definitely the highest classification of top secret.

• I remember watching a lore video on this subject and I believe it said that ONI managed to cover up the flood outbreak in Africa somehow.
  • Also no, they didn't tell the public about the flood in a style like Left 4 Dead where they tell civilians how to protect themselves from the disease. To be honest, telling the public would just cause panic and would not help anyone in that situation, cities would go into riot and the UNSC would have to also worry about human looters / people trying to get weapons from the army.
  • Any evacuated Voi workers (if there were any since I think they all die since there isn't really time to evacuate them) would be taken by ONI and bribed or kept prisoner and ant Marines would be taken aside and either sworn to secrecy or stationed somewhere where they can't tell anyone
  • Yeah the flood is probably among the highest secrets in the UNSC / ONI, along with the Halos, Forerunners and ancient human history. Only Spartans (due to training sims) and top brass know about the flood so thats pretty exclusive out of what, 20 billion humans.

• I remember watching a lore video on this subject and I believe it said that ONI managed to cover up the flood outbreak in Africa somehow.
  • Also no, they didn't tell the public about the flood in a style like Left 4 Dead where they tell civilians how to protect themselves from the disease. To be honest, telling the public would just cause panic and would not help anyone in that situation, cities would go into riot and the UNSC would have to also worry about human looters / people trying to get weapons from the army.
  • Any evacuated Voi workers (if there were any since I think they all die since there isn't really time to evacuate them) would be taken by ONI and bribed or kept prisoner and ant Marines would be taken aside and either sworn to secrecy or stationed somewhere where they can't tell anyone
  • Yeah the flood is probably among the highest secrets in the UNSC / ONI, along with the Halos, Forerunners and ancient human history. Only Spartans (due to training sims) and top brass know about the flood so thats pretty exclusive out of what, 20 billion humans.
They said the outbreak and the resulting glassing was a Covenant assault, part of the on-going battle if I remember right.
Not even really a lie.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."

I was going to say that strategically speaking it was most definitely in their interest to keep this information classified to the top levels of military and those who might be training to fight this threat directly.
I'd say ONI would try to keep it top secret, because the fact of what's basically all-powerful space zombies, would cause mass panic, and with everyone disorganized and scared, it would actually be easier for the Flood and/or Covenant to attack, which could mean the loss of earth, and that'd be a crippling blow to humanity, and the Covenant allies.

A sentient form of space zombies which have the collected knowledge of countless millennium, which can convert a race with a single spore and was the reason ancient humans had their war with forerunners and why said forerunners made the halo array, galactic, genocidal, superweapons which had to kill the flood food source since all conventional military means, (a military which was greater than anything we or the covenant currently have) weren't enough to counter or stop it.

Is that something you go telling your population, of whom only just survived a 30 year genocidal war with alieans, where humanity was almost made extinct. I am going to go with yeah, it's really secret atm and no one under ONI high level clearance knows anything about them. I am sure the partial glassing of Africa they blamed on the prophets covenant.