Skip to main content
Should 343i ever reveal his parents, would it be necessary? If so, would they be important characters or ordinary, to symbolize that John was also once ordinary and became extraordinary?
No, I don't think it is. They wouldn't do much to the story. Unless Halo is going Batman VS Superman where Master Chief completely breaks down at the mention of his parents.

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?"
*eyeroll*

But Chief's old life is gone. That's part of the gravity of his character, plus, I don't see anyway that they'd figure out who he was. They think he's dead, he doesn't have social skills, and he never shows his face to the public.
The only reasons I could see his parents mattering:

• An antagonist uses them to coerce John. This probably wouldn't work, but I could see a villain trying it.
  • Alternately, I could see a villain simply revealing John's complete past to the public, which would include the identity of his parents.
  • Like Naomi's dad, maybe one or both of Chief's parents become dangerous. Maybe very dangerous -- Chief was already going to be a genetically impressive human being, so that means he likely came from smart, athletic, charismatic, driven people that could accomplish a lot.
Might also be good drama if it's revealed that clone John somehow managed to survive this whole time.
If John's parents were still alive, they'd probably have been seen alive in Hunt the Truth.
Would John even know what his parents look like anymore?
If John's parents were still alive, they'd probably have been seen alive in Hunt the Truth.
Was it in Hunt the Truth where we're told John's parents died a few years after he was taken, on another colony world? I remember that piece of information clearly, but not the source.
JNDreher wrote:
Was it in Hunt the Truth where we're told John's parents died a few years after he was taken, on another colony world? I remember that piece of information clearly, but not the source.
You know...thats a good point. I might have forgotten that if its true. Regardless, if they were revealed, who they were would be interesting. If not, then its nothing to worry about.

• An antagonist uses them to coerce John. This probably wouldn't work, but I could see a villain trying it.
  • Alternately, I could see a villain simply revealing John's complete past to the public, which would include the identity of his parents.
  • Like Naomi's dad, maybe one or both of Chief's parents become dangerous. Maybe very dangerous -- Chief was already going to be a genetically impressive human being, so that means he likely came from smart, athletic, charismatic, driven people that could accomplish a lot.
Might also be good drama if it's revealed that clone John somehow managed to survive this whole time.
Clone John?? Who's that guy?
IrishLaws5 wrote:

In the first Halo book, The Fall of Reach, Dr. Halsey had clones made of all Spartan II candidates. Many of them died soon after being placed in their homes.
IrishLaws5 wrote:

In the first Halo book, The Fall of Reach, Dr. Halsey had clones made of all Spartan II candidates. Many of them died soon after being placed in their homes.
Oh. Wow. Halsey was a fricking -Yoink-.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:

Yeah, but it was necessary.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:

I guess.....

She couldn't have left a voicemail, "Oh yeah I kidnapped all your children and put them through an abusive and rigorous training program so that they can go fight in battle later. Thanks! Bye."
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:

I guess.....

She couldn't have left a voicemail, "Oh yeah I kidnapped all your children and put them through an abusive and rigorous training program so that they can go fight in battle later. Thanks! Bye."
That would have made it sooo much worse.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:

I guess.....

That wasn't going to happen, but I guess ONI could have taken the kids and just let the parents assune the worst happened to their children since they'd never know their fate. Are they dead in a gutter somewhere? Torn apart by wild animals? Taken by some pervert to God knows where? As ethnically dubious as the clones were, at least it gave closure to some parents. Not all, but short of not starting the Spartan-II program at all, it was probably the better option despite how much people like Maggie "Turns War Oprhans Into Suicide Soldiers" Parangosky want to say it was the worst.
Personally, like I say in my post, if John's parent's were revealed I'd think 343 would show that his parents were also ordinary citizens, but bearing traits that John has. It would be a great symbolic representation of his character and the good citizens of humanity, not shady ONI agents. Maybe they'd have some above average traits, like his dad might be an engineer or something a bit above basic employment. The same for his mother. But it could also be an unnecessary plot thread 343 could address elsewhere.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:

I guess.....

That wasn't going to happen, but I guess ONI could have taken the kids and just let the parents assune the worst happened to their children since they'd never know their fate. Are they dead in a gutter somewhere? Torn apart by wild animals? Taken by some pervert to God knows where? As ethnically dubious as the clones were, at least it gave closure to some parents. Not all, but short of not starting the Spartan-II program at all, it was probably the better option despite how much people like Maggie "Turns War Oprhans Into Suicide Soldiers" Parangosky want to say it was the worst.
Ha leave it to you to defend your love and joy, Dr. Catherine Halsey.....though you do have a point. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
Honestly, I think the only way John will get to see them again is if he finds their graves.

It would be a very sad moment for him to realize that they had been alive the entire War, but he never got to see them before they died.
Honestly, I think the only way John will get to see them again is if he finds their graves.

It would be a very sad moment for him to realize that they had been alive the entire War, but he never got to see them before they died.
It would crush him, oh yeah. It would also be a great scene for his character to be fully fleshed out emotionally. It would be one of the final scenes of in the games that shows his humanity.

It would crush him, oh yeah. It would also be a great scene for his character to be fully fleshed out emotionally. It would be one of the final scenes of in the games that shows his humanity.
If there was an experimental no combat game like Frankie has mentioned he would like to see, then I would want it to be about John visiting his old home planet, Reach, and the Memorial at Voi.

It would be an emotional, quiet game that would have John be completely out of his element.

I would also be fine if something like that was made into a short movie.

No matter what happens, the next games should focus on John slowly realizing he wants to live a life outside of the UNSC.

..In my opinion.