Least enjoyable novel

OP Perserverance23

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Zachu511 wrote:
Honesty, the Forerunner Trilogy was not my favorite. It was decent, I enjoyed it, just not as much as I enjoyed many others. Haven't read nearly all of them, but of the many I have, these just didn't grab me.
I thought it was just me. I'm sure it's not a terribly popular opinion but, I only slogged thru the Forerunner trilogy because I felt I should, to be a well informed Halo lore fan. But quite frankly, it bored the crap out of me.
Silentium is pretty good imo,cryptum and especially primordium are pretty boring
Zachu511 wrote:
Honesty, the Forerunner Trilogy was not my favorite. It was decent, I enjoyed it, just not as much as I enjoyed many others. Haven't read nearly all of them, but of the many I have, these just didn't grab me.
I thought it was just me. I'm sure it's not a terribly popular opinion but, I only slogged thru the Forerunner trilogy because I felt I should, to be a well informed Halo lore fan. But quite frankly, it bored the crap out of me.
Silentium is pretty good imo,cryptum and especially primordium are pretty boring
I can agree with that - if I have to pick one of those three, Silentium was the best to me as well.
Primordium is definitely pretty slow in parts but I do appreciate its contributions to the overall lore.

- Establishes Zeta Halo as a setting. Which is probably going to be important in Infinite

- Best instance of multiple species of humans all participating in the same story

- Sets up several unification plot points.
In your opinion what is the least enjoyable halo novel to read?

It's hard for me to decide between the flood,primordium,and mortal dictata
I believe Halo: Cryptum is my least enjoyable.
I love all the novels to be honest. Last Light was hard to get into and the forerunner series was hard to understand at first, but all the books are great.
I've read everyone's comments and i gotta say i find this question hard to answer.

Like a previous commenter i'm a bit of a lore junkie so i find all the books fascinating to a degree - I did find the forerunner trilogy difficult at times, trying to imagine such fantastical structures and beings was kinda hard for me.

I think i'm in a minority of people who actually like a lot of the Kilo 5 trilogy, especially Naomi. But i do agree it's ending leaves a lot to be desired.

While i can't really answer the question, which novel i like the least i will say this .... I've started reading Hunters in the Dark twice and gave up / got distracted and never returned to it. Every time i see it on my shelf i tell myself i need to read it.
Glasslands, without a doubt. Traviss broke so much to go on her little soap box.
Out of all the ones I read, the Flood.
Out of all the ones I don't really want to read, I guess Requiem, but there was a lot of bad novels, the one where they killed off the Rookie from ODST, there is also the ones talking about the first Flood-Forerunner war, I hear those were terrible readings.
Forerunner trilogy. I got about halfway through Cryptum but couldn't finish. It just wasn't grabbing me. I think it's because the forerunner stuff is less known and I had trouble picturing what was happening as I read. At the time there wasn't a lot of reference points in the games or other media. I did buy the whole trilogy though

Second would be the Kilo Five trilogy. I read Glasslands and thoroughly enjoyed it, not as much as the original series of books but still. I had to force myself to finish Thursday War and then I'm pretty sure I didn't finish Mortal Dictata
Primordium but really all of bears work was garbage to me really enjoyable writing style but a story that I hated start to finish. I actually took a multi year break from reading Halo after his books when at one point it was my favorite series along with the enders game series. Just been diving back in this year. Really liked last light. Felt different yet still fundamentally Halo unlike how I felt after some of Travis's work.

This post has been hidden.

Geoffyz wrote:
scales79 wrote:
I really struggled to get through "The Flood". Same with "Battle Born", which I still haven't finished ...
I haven't started it yet, but isn't The Flood one of the most commonly cited novels? In other words, don't a lot of people use it as an example when explaining lore that isn't in the FPS games?
The Flood is combat evolved verbatim. That is why it can seem really tedious. You aren't going to learn anything new if you have played the game.

For me it is easily the kilo five trilogy with mortal dictata the absolute worst.. ugh I couldn't stomach osman's unfounded or at least highly obnoxious dislike of Halsey. It was nauseating. Like get over it. You'd be dead right now if she hadn't kidnapped those kids. And you work for parangosky and oni, so you're not a saint. Waahhhhhhhh! That is the kilo five trilogy in a nutshell - everyone being big babies because oooh Halsey is so bad. Bleah!
The flood. No offence to the author but it just seemed really lazy to write exactly what you were playing. Granted they added a few extra characters when it didn't focus on the chief. The overall story just came across as lazy to me.
The Flood was also the first novel to introduce the "everyone knows about the Spartans TOP SECRET origins" with Silva when he's berating the Chief. While it's mostly just the events of Combat Evolved, it did have a few "bonus" insights, but not enough to be truly outstanding. I think The Fall of Reach is cited more for canon.
I agree that The Flood was more dull because it didn't show us anything new but that's is also kind of the point. If someone hasn't played the games, they can read it and know exactly what people who have played the game know. We did learn more about Private Jenkins at least, which was cool and disturbing at the same time.
My least favorite was honestly Cryptum. Not so much for its content (though the fact Forerunners aren't very interesting to me doesn't help), but more the writing style. It painted pretty pictures in my head, but I felt it was more style over substance. I highly value dialogue in stories, because that's one of the best ways I get to know about and care about characters. By the time I had forced myself to Cryptum's end... I felt like I had read more background detail than dialogue at that point, and there really weren't any characters I was remotely attached to except for Chakas (At least I picked a good one to get attached to, considering Silentium and
Spoiler:
Show
I liked it because it was a lot of background, like a bunch of lore. Although if i was reading it I would probably be a bit irritated that its not super catchy, with not many battles to hold my attention. I listened to it.
I would say perhaps Silent Storm. While I knew the novel was focused more on the chief it felt rather clumsy I guess in that regard. Seeing Chief and the other Spartans as younger soldiers got boring to me. Then tossing Johnson into the book just plain felt shoe horned. The only thing that really held my attention in that book where the parts centered on the Covenant.
Probably one of the Veta Lopis novels. Something about her really annoyed me in the first one, and even though I think she improved a lot in later appearances I still don't like her because of my first impressions of her.

Other than that, I really didn't like the forerunner trilogy
Probably between Mortal Dictata and The Flood.

Mortal Dictata because it was a rather lack-luster ending to an otherwise decent trilogy (I really enjoyed the first two, virtue signaling aside) and The Flood was basically just Combat Evolved all over again (though it was interesting to see the Covenant side with it).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3