Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Least liked halo fact

OP Ado Ulamee

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
Not exactly a fact but that Halo 5 essentially retconned the Halo 4 Spartan Ops. When Halo 4 came out I poured countless hours into it and read up on the lore of it but then Halo 5 comes out and killed all of it in 60 seconds.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I disagree with the assertion that the Covenant's ability to glass planets was retconned. Look at the global devastation on Meridian. That entire world was slagged, the areas we visit being describes as where the glass was thinner, and this is what was considered a rush job.

Reach was also glassed from pole-to-pole, with the exception of the location above where the Forerunner crystal was hidden.

Master Chief also watched the glassing of Jericho VII, and that glassing even describes the boiling off of the oceans and atmosphere.

The Covenant can definitively glass entire planets.

As for humanity's condition after 30 years, take into account that everywhere the Covenant attacked was pretty much destroyed. (look at Harvest). Utter devastation across the galaxy doesn't mean the ships and worlds that haven't faced the enemy would look like they had 30 years worth of being overwhelmed behind them. The sinking of a fleet doesn't make a ship that wasn't present look like it barely survived.

I think looking at the lore through a different lens will improve its appearance to you.

Falconx03 wrote:
Not exactly a fact but that Halo 5 essentially retconned the Halo 4 Spartan Ops. When Halo 4 came out I poured countless hours into it and read up on the lore of it but then Halo 5 comes out and killed all of it in 60 seconds.
How was Spartan Ops retconned? Its story arc was concluded in the comics (not a good choice in my opinion, because story arcs should be concluded in the medium they were started in). And that was before Halo 5 was released.
Retconned was definitely the wrong word to use lol. I haven't read the comics so I was unaware that it was concluded there. I assumed the beginning to Halo 5 was the conclusion
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I think what you mean is that: older Halo Lore like that of the Unggoy Rebellion depicted singular ships absolutely devastating large areas. And I have to agree. It seemed like older ships just seemed more powerful. I was under the impression that a Covenant Excavation Beam was almost like a large scale nuke. It strikes one point and sends a wave of destruction that covers the better half of possibly several miles at the very least. Now it just seems like the extent of the damage just isn't as great.

Take Reach for example; when Kat warned Carter about the increased radiation flare nearby, I was under the impression that building was about to come down because of how close it must have been for her to be that worried. Playing through the mission would show you that the Covenant were roughly a half a mile out on the other side of the city just Glassing it every now and then. So for one to just drop right on top of the remains of Noble team and then for ONE Phantom to be able to just fly around an area that is being Glassed, well it just doesn't seem quite as powerful as we were lead to believe. In fact, it honestly seems more like Gears of Wars Hammer of Dawn. It's powerful where it strikes, but doesn't do much just a little bit out of its reaching point.

So, for it to be that weak, it must honestly take so many ships to Glass an entire planet.

Now for the point of Humanity flourishing so well after a 3 decades long war that almost eradicated them from existence?

You have to realize, we haven't seen the damage left behind by the Covenant. We've only seen how much they've advanced thanks in large part to the introduction to Forerunner relics, planets, ships, and world structures. Meridian was the first and only sign of damage we've been shown since the end of the war. We lost so many planets we'd never even seen and most of the ships I'd guess were probably decommissioned completely since the introduction of newer, better models. I mean, the Covenant-Human war ended in 2552, Halo 3. Halo 4 took place on Requiem and you can actually see the area that was Glassed by Rtas 'Vadum's carriers to stop the Flood that crash landed a CCS Cruiser in Voi. And Halo 5 took place between Kamchatka with rescuing Halsey, the Argent Moon with being caught up with Blue Team, Meridian with chasing them, Sanghelios for getting Arbiter's help, and then Genesis for the conclusion.

As for my least favorite? Not sure. I'm still learning lore bits through the books. I'll get back to you.
The fact that they retconned Sam-034's height and weight to be noticeably smaller than was initially. Original described as a full head taller than John with a height of 7'10" and weight of 343 lbs, now reduced to 7'4 and 298 lbs. Now, to play devil's advocate, I think they were trying to get at, John hadn't fully grown yet, so he hadn't reached 7'2" when he was still a teenager, so they compensated by retconning Sam's height.

Still didn't sit well with me.

Also, for the Taming of the Hunters and Grunt Rebellion, wasn't it established before that the Arbiters that participated in both of those conflicts died? Or was that just the community making an assumption?
JNDreher wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I disagree with the assertion that the Covenant's ability to glass planets was retconned. Look at the global devastation on Meridian. That entire world was slagged, the areas we visit being describes as where the glass was thinner, and this is what was considered a rush job.

Reach was also glassed from pole-to-pole, with the exception of the location above where the Forerunner crystal was hidden.

Master Chief also watched the glassing of Jericho VII, and that glassing even describes the boiling off of the oceans and atmosphere.

The Covenant can definitively glass entire planets.

As for humanity's condition after 30 years, take into account that everywhere the Covenant attacked was pretty much destroyed. (look at Harvest). Utter devastation across the galaxy doesn't mean the ships and worlds that haven't faced the enemy would look like they had 30 years worth of being overwhelmed behind them. The sinking of a fleet doesn't make a ship that wasn't present look like it barely survived.

I think looking at the lore through a different lens will improve its appearance to you.

Falconx03 wrote:
Not exactly a fact but that Halo 5 essentially retconned the Halo 4 Spartan Ops. When Halo 4 came out I poured countless hours into it and read up on the lore of it but then Halo 5 comes out and killed all of it in 60 seconds.
How was Spartan Ops retconned? Its story arc was concluded in the comics (not a good choice in my opinion, because story arcs should be concluded in the medium they were started in). And that was before Halo 5 was released.
A fair point, I suppose I should clarify my opinion on a covenant glassing ability. In the older books it had stated that the Covenant completely covered every centimeter of a planet with plasma, which I always figured meant that the end result will be a molten ball of Rock not looking out of place in a freshly formed solar system. That and making the Covenant from a Galaxy spanning Empire to one that only controls a portion of the Orion arm. In regards to humanity you have a point there. We have not seen the full destruction brought upon the colonies during the war.
Quote:
That and making the Covenant from a Galaxy spanning Empire to one that only controls a portion of the Orion arm.
I think it was actually established in Warfleet or Spartan Field Manual that at the height of the Covenant's power, they controlled 1000s of planets. Where as humanity controlled barely 1000 pre-Covenant War. So how far their power stretched I think is nothing to scoff at.
Quote:
That and making the Covenant from a Galaxy spanning Empire to one that only controls a portion of the Orion arm.
I think it was actually established in Warfleet or Spartan Field Manual that at the height of the Covenant's power, they controlled 1000s of planets. Where as humanity controlled barely 1000 pre-Covenant War. So how far their power stretched I think is nothing to scoff at
Only that high charity took tribute from 1000 worlds. I doubt that was the full population of the covenant i think they likely have far more worlds.
It is hard to call anything in a fictional series a fact, I think Trivia, is the proper word here, because as all the remakes and retcons have proved anything can be rewritten.

As far as least favorite trivia, I would have to say how powerful Oni is, they are like more powerful than the Inquisition in Warhammer 40k with the amount of autonomy and just above the law actions they could do.

Then again I never read this part but the resurrection of a monitor 343 Guilty Spark could be on my top least favorite if that ever made it in game (no, you can't make me read that book, I am not going to do so).
The design of the CSO-Class Supercarrier and its length I suppose is my least disliked fact in the Halo Universe since the retcon of the Covenant Empire and there ability to glass entire planets was already covered. Now before anyone gets the wrong opinion allow me to explain. I like the idea of the CSO-Class Suppercarrier. I just wish Bungie had gone the extra mile and designed a entirely different ship, maybe something like the ship first and only seen at Harvest when Cole was sent to retake the planet. The enlarged CAS-Class Assault carrier was a disappoint now that I look back on it even though the CSO is certainly a feat of engineering unmatched in the modern era right now.
Wow this is a tough one... I'd say my least favorite Halo fact (or trivia or lore detail) would be the initial class of Spartan-IV's that Ilza Zane was a part of. The original premise behind the program was a bit goofy imo. Making Spartans that don't require armor is a bit far fetched since the armor was an integral part of the program. Not to mention, any soldier in battle would benefit from armor, regardless of augmentation, and donning the armor didn't take away from the abilities of the Spartans, but rather enhanced them. No armor means no EVA ability, no protection from even the most basic of explosions and debris, etc. I just don't get why anyone at ONI would think of such a wild departure from the original Spartan/Mjolnir projects.
Wow this is a tough one... I'd say my least favorite Halo fact (or trivia or lore detail) would be the initial class of Spartan-IV's that Ilza Zane was a part of. The original premise behind the program was a bit goofy imo. Making Spartans that don't require armor is a bit far fetched since the armor was an integral part of the program. Not to mention, any soldier in battle would benefit from armor, regardless of augmentation, and donning the armor didn't take away from the abilities of the Spartans, but rather enhanced them. No armor means no EVA ability, no protection from even the most basic of explosions and debris, etc. I just don't get why anyone at ONI would think of such a wild departure from the original Spartan/Mjolnir projects.
I think the intent was Spartan-strength in ODST-grade/cheap armour. Mass production without sending billion dollar suits to scrap.
MysticKami wrote:
Wow this is a tough one... I'd say my least favorite Halo fact (or trivia or lore detail) would be the initial class of Spartan-IV's that Ilza Zane was a part of. The original premise behind the program was a bit goofy imo. Making Spartans that don't require armor is a bit far fetched since the armor was an integral part of the program. Not to mention, any soldier in battle would benefit from armor, regardless of augmentation, and donning the armor didn't take away from the abilities of the Spartans, but rather enhanced them. No armor means no EVA ability, no protection from even the most basic of explosions and debris, etc. I just don't get why anyone at ONI would think of such a wild departure from the original Spartan/Mjolnir projects.
I think the intent was Spartan-strength in ODST-grade/cheap armour. Mass production without sending billion dollar suits to scrap.
I guess that does make some sense, but the shields and increased air capacity for EVA operations compared to ODST-grade armor is too vast a technology gap to justify potentially scrapping the whole Mjolnir Project, at least for me. With all the research that has gone into Mjolnir, it has become much cheaper, comparatively, to mass produce. With more research and development, Mjolnir might eventually become just as cheap to produce as any other combat armor.
That no one's released a confirmation of NOBLE 6's death. Up till now ut makes people wonder if that guy is still alive somewhere or not. ONI would probably know though. Another least liked fact is the weird armor sets of spartan 4's
The fact that now, plasma torpedoes are a physical object rather then a ball of plasma Still boggles my mind. Perhaps only certain vessels have that design, but nothing has been confirmed with that one.
That no one's released a confirmation of NOBLE 6's death. Up till now ut makes people wonder if that guy is still alive somewhere or not. ONI would probably know though. Another least liked fact is the weird armor sets of spartan 4's
Hes dead, he was surrounded by Covenant, an energy sword going through him, and a dagger coming down to his face
Ado Ulamee wrote:
The fact that now, plasma torpedoes are a physical object rather then a ball of plasma Still boggles my mind. Perhaps only certain vessels have that design, but nothing has been confirmed with that one.
That no one's released a confirmation of NOBLE 6's death. Up till now ut makes people wonder if that guy is still alive somewhere or not. ONI would probably know though. Another least liked fact is the weird armor sets of spartan 4's
Hes dead, he was surrounded by Covenant, an energy sword going through him, and a dagger coming down to his face
If you watch the last cuscene really slowly though (a couple of times if you're like me) you'll notice that the energy sword missed his head entirely and hit the dirt next to him. He was actually still fighting. But the cutscene ended since some elite bumped the helmet and the helmet cam couldn't give us a good angle anymore.
Least liked fact... ONI trying to stir up an Elite civil war. This series is not Warhammer 40k and I don’t want to make every race degrees of evil grimdark.... it makes me not root for the UNSC
My least favorite trivia: the Flood being related to the Precursors. I preferred Bungie's take on the Flood, when they were just a misunderstood organism trying to survive and grow (and their growth just happened to be at the expense of all other life).
Least liked fact... ONI trying to stir up an Elite civil war. This series is not Warhammer 40k and I don’t want to make every race degrees of evil grimdark.... it makes me not root for the UNSC
So you want the UNSC to be this perfect goody two-shoes organization that never does anything morally bad? Not only is that terribly naïve and unrealistic, we would also never have had the Spartan program, which means you just guaranteed humanity's extinction. Congrats.

War and conflict are not subjects that can be simply sorted into good and bad. There will always be a very large grey area with all parties involved. ONI's priority is the survival of Humanity at ALL costs. After being on the receiving end of a genocide for 27 years and losing billions, are you really complaining about the UNSC wanting to get a little payback? Besides, this is far from the worse thing ONI has done.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3