Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Least liked halo fact

OP Ado Ulamee

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
JNDreher wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I disagree with the assertion that the Covenant's ability to glass planets was retconned. Look at the global devastation on Meridian. That entire world was slagged, the areas we visit being describes as where the glass was thinner, and this is what was considered a rush job.

Reach was also glassed from pole-to-pole, with the exception of the location above where the Forerunner crystal was hidden.

Master Chief also watched the glassing of Jericho VII, and that glassing even describes the boiling off of the oceans and atmosphere.

The Covenant can definitively glass entire planets.

As for humanity's condition after 30 years, take into account that everywhere the Covenant attacked was pretty much destroyed. (look at Harvest). Utter devastation across the galaxy doesn't mean the ships and worlds that haven't faced the enemy would look like they had 30 years worth of being overwhelmed behind them. The sinking of a fleet doesn't make a ship that wasn't present look like it barely survived.

I think looking at the lore through a different lens will improve its appearance to you.

Falconx03 wrote:
Not exactly a fact but that Halo 5 essentially retconned the Halo 4 Spartan Ops. When Halo 4 came out I poured countless hours into it and read up on the lore of it but then Halo 5 comes out and killed all of it in 60 seconds.
How was Spartan Ops retconned? Its story arc was concluded in the comics (not a good choice in my opinion, because story arcs should be concluded in the medium they were started in). And that was before Halo 5 was released.
I don't think the 'glassing planets thing' was retconned, it's because the fragmented Covenant don't have the ships, fuel, or crew to do that anymore. You hear it explicitly in the books. (Thursday War)
Noobbula wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I disagree with the assertion that the Covenant's ability to glass planets was retconned. Look at the global devastation on Meridian. That entire world was slagged, the areas we visit being describes as where the glass was thinner, and this is what was considered a rush job.

Reach was also glassed from pole-to-pole, with the exception of the location above where the Forerunner crystal was hidden.

Master Chief also watched the glassing of Jericho VII, and that glassing even describes the boiling off of the oceans and atmosphere.

The Covenant can definitively glass entire planets.

As for humanity's condition after 30 years, take into account that everywhere the Covenant attacked was pretty much destroyed. (look at Harvest). Utter devastation across the galaxy doesn't mean the ships and worlds that haven't faced the enemy would look like they had 30 years worth of being overwhelmed behind them. The sinking of a fleet doesn't make a ship that wasn't present look like it barely survived.

I think looking at the lore through a different lens will improve its appearance to you.

Falconx03 wrote:
I don't think the 'glassing planets thing' was retconned, it's because the fragmented Covenant don't have the ships, fuel, or crew to do that anymore. You hear it explicitly in the books. (Thursday War)
Was talking of the original Covenant, not the new groups.
My least favorite Halo Fact:
Spoiler:
Show
My least favorite trivia is that The Flood started with pets...or pheru. I'm a pet owner and I know for sure I wouldn't put a weird spore, just found, on my cat. Just seems less menacing and not a "test" to determine your worthiness
tL Armada wrote:
I don't like the fact that 343 guilty spark is alive, it just seems implausible, and yes 343 gave reasons about how his body was broken but his mind matrix remained, but come on. It ruins some of the finality of halo 3's ending, with spark being "alive" again it makes another part of the original trilogy have less weight.
It doesn't trivialize Halo 3, though. The 343 Guilty Spark we knew was killed in Halo 3. What was reawakened from that destruction was Chakas. Chakas -- or Spark as he goes by now -- isn't the same as the protocol-driven, insane caretaker of Installation 04.
I think what 343i has done to Spark has only enhanced his character, not detracted. I understand your mileage may vary on that, however.
I guess, I suppose he does act different now.
The pacing of the Spartan-II deaths makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm not sure if they've fixed the constant continuity snarls about the number of surviving Spartan-IIs present for Red Flag, but either way it makes absolutely no sense that only three Spartans would die over the course of a two-decade war and yet the majority are suddenly killed in a single mission?

Like, I get that the narrative purpose is to show how big a -Yoink--up Reach is for the UNSC, but having so many survive up until that point just make the Covenant look like an insignificant threat. And post-war there are sixteen survivors?

Also looking back on it I'm really not a fan of Linda's revival. The only reason she "died" in the first place was to conveniently confirm John's status as the Last Spartan before the game starts, but at the very least Nylund could have put her into a coma or something. Outright having her shot in the head and her vitals flatline before bringing her back like nothing happened is pretty cheap. It's not like it had any effect on her character, or even that she as an individual has particularly done anything except fill out the roster on Blue Team.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Noobbula wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I disagree with the assertion that the Covenant's ability to glass planets was retconned. Look at the global devastation on Meridian. That entire world was slagged, the areas we visit being describes as where the glass was thinner, and this is what was considered a rush job.

Reach was also glassed from pole-to-pole, with the exception of the location above where the Forerunner crystal was hidden.

Master Chief also watched the glassing of Jericho VII, and that glassing even describes the boiling off of the oceans and atmosphere.

The Covenant can definitively glass entire planets.

As for humanity's condition after 30 years, take into account that everywhere the Covenant attacked was pretty much destroyed. (look at Harvest). Utter devastation across the galaxy doesn't mean the ships and worlds that haven't faced the enemy would look like they had 30 years worth of being overwhelmed behind them. The sinking of a fleet doesn't make a ship that wasn't present look like it barely survived.

I think looking at the lore through a different lens will improve its appearance to you.

Falconx03 wrote:
I don't think the 'glassing planets thing' was retconned, it's because the fragmented Covenant don't have the ships, fuel, or crew to do that anymore. You hear it explicitly in the books. (Thursday War)
Was talking of the original Covenant, not the new groups.
Oh. If you're talking about the new materiel, yeah, that sucks. But didn't they glass a planet in Silent Storm?
Noobbula wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Noobbula wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Since someone decided to make a favorite Halo fact I decided to try the opposite. So what would yours be? Would have to say mine would be that they retconned the Covenant over the years from being able to fully glass a planets just taken out small areas. It felt in the older lore that it added more weight to the actual battles that took place during the war.

That and the fact humanity has been doing just fine after a 30-year war that devastated them so badly.
I disagree with the assertion that the Covenant's ability to glass planets was retconned. Look at the global devastation on Meridian. That entire world was slagged, the areas we visit being describes as where the glass was thinner, and this is what was considered a rush job.

Reach was also glassed from pole-to-pole, with the exception of the location above where the Forerunner crystal was hidden.

Master Chief also watched the glassing of Jericho VII, and that glassing even describes the boiling off of the oceans and atmosphere.

The Covenant can definitively glass entire planets.

As for humanity's condition after 30 years, take into account that everywhere the Covenant attacked was pretty much destroyed. (look at Harvest). Utter devastation across the galaxy doesn't mean the ships and worlds that haven't faced the enemy would look like they had 30 years worth of being overwhelmed behind them. The sinking of a fleet doesn't make a ship that wasn't present look like it barely survived.

I think looking at the lore through a different lens will improve its appearance to you.

Falconx03 wrote:
I don't think the 'glassing planets thing' was retconned, it's because the fragmented Covenant don't have the ships, fuel, or crew to do that anymore. You hear it explicitly in the books. (Thursday War)
Was talking of the original Covenant, not the new groups.
Oh. If you're talking about the new materiel, yeah, that sucks. But didn't they glass a planet in Silent Storm?
Not fully no, just the bombardments they use today.
My least favorite fact from Halo is how Misriah Armory seems to have a near-monopoly on the UNSC'S small arms. Did antitrust laws get repealed somewhere between now and 2552?
I dislike the fact that Master Chief is 7,1 feet tall, Has musculature that is stated to be 2 times the density of normal human musculature, has bones reinforced with Metal Plating and yet Only weights 286 pounds... Mind you the average weight of a 6,2 football player is 243. Then we have a 7,2 Bodybuilder who's body is realistically what a Spartan should look like and he weight over 300 pounds.(Look up The Dutch Giant). Based on this Chief should at least weight 350 pounds if not almost 400 pounds.

Chief's height and weight numbers come from the character info cards that came with the limited edition of Halo 5.
Snockooz wrote:
I dislike the fact that Master Chief is 7,1 feet tall, Has musculature that is stated to be 2 times the density of normal human musculature, has bones reinforced with Metal Plating and yet Only weights 286 pounds... Mind you the average weight of a 6,2 football player is 243. Then we have a 7,2 Bodybuilder who's body is realistically what a Spartan should look like and he weight over 300 pounds.(Look up The Dutch Giant). Based on this Chief should at least weight 350 pounds if not almost 400 pounds.

Chief's height and weight numbers come from the character info cards that came with the limited edition of Halo 5.
I'm pretty sure the density refers to the number density of muscle fibers, not the mass density. The mass density of the muscles would remain roughly the same since the chemical composition of the cells is the same. Therefore you wouldn't expect a significant increase in mass density from the augmentations.

I find no mention of the bones being reinforced with metal, only ceramics. Since ceramics aren't necessarily very dense, and the amount of added ceramics isn't specified, there's a priori no expectation that they increase the body mass significantly.

With those two points in mind, I don't see why you think a Spartan should have the physiology of a bodybuilder. Considering what they do, they'd benefit more from endurance than from raw strength. Muscle mass that isn't needed is just waste of energy and unnecessary extra weight. Their training would reflect that, and in that respect 130 kg is plenty.
tsassi wrote:
Snockooz wrote:
I dislike the fact that Master Chief is 7,1 feet tall, Has musculature that is stated to be 2 times the density of normal human musculature, has bones reinforced with Metal Plating and yet Only weights 286 pounds... Mind you the average weight of a 6,2 football player is 243. Then we have a 7,2 Bodybuilder who's body is realistically what a Spartan should look like and he weight over 300 pounds.(Look up The Dutch Giant). Based on this Chief should at least weight 350 pounds if not almost 400 pounds.

Chief's height and weight numbers come from the character info cards that came with the limited edition of Halo 5.
I'm pretty sure the density refers to the number density of muscle fibers, not the mass density. The mass density of the muscles would remain roughly the same since the chemical composition of the cells is the same. Therefore you wouldn't expect a significant increase in mass density from the augmentations.

I find no mention of the bones being reinforced with metal, only ceramics. Since ceramics aren't necessarily very dense, and the amount of added ceramics isn't specified, there's a priori no expectation that they increase the body mass significantly.

With those two points in mind, I don't see why you think a Spartan should have the physiology of a bodybuilder. Considering what they do, they'd benefit more from endurance than from raw strength. Muscle mass that isn't needed is just waste of energy and unnecessary extra weight. Their training would reflect that, and in that respect 130 kg is plenty.
I Wasn't talking about the Mass of a Spartan's Muscles. "Protein complex is injected intramuscularly to increase tissue density and decrease lactase recovery time." My point is the higher an objects Density the more it weighs. If you doubled the density of your muscles than those muscle should weight twice as much.

Carbide Ceramic Ossification "Advanced material grafting onto skeletal structures to make bones virtually unbreakable. Recommended coverage not to exceed 3% total bone mass because of significant white blood cell necrosis." the Strongest Carbide Ceramic we have today is Boron carbide it's hardness ranks is behind only diamond. It weighs 2,500 kilogram per cubic meter. Human Bone only weighs 1,850 kilogram per cubic meter. Bone is only supposed to take up 10-15 present of your bodies total weight. however there are far to many variables that go into a persons weight so lets just stay Chief's Skeleton weighs 35 pounds that would be an increase of about 1.4 or 3 pounds give or take. So that might not increase their weight by much assuming something similar to Boron carbide is used.

I'm saying the they have the physiology of the the dutch giant because they have been shown that way. The dutch Giant isn't as thick relative to his size as most Body builders. Scanned Halo 4 Trailer Chief Next to the Dutch Giant. I Might Have made the Dutch Giant to large in that but even at that size I'd say chief is overall thicker. I'm using the Scanned trailer as its one of the Few realistic depictions that isn't right before or right after augmentation. In terms of size he should be at least the same weight of The Dutch Giant then add that his muscles should weight twice as much as normal human muscles. SO, Yes he should weigh between 350 and 400 pounds.
Snockooz wrote:
I Wasn't talking about the Mass of a Spartan's Muscles. "Protein complex is injected intramuscularly to increase tissue density and decrease lactase recovery time." My point is the higher an objects Density the more it weighs. If you doubled the density of your muscles than those muscle should weight twice as much.
As I said, I'm sure the density here refers to the number density of muscle fibers, i.e., more fibers per cross sectional area, not the mass density of the muscles. These are two different notions of density. An increased number density is what is depicted in the drawings in Halsey's journal. The fibers are of course thinner to account for the increase in number density, but there is no change in the composition of the muscles, hence the mass density remains the same.
343 establishing that Elite Combat-Harnesses enhance the wearer's capabilities. If it weren't enough that the Sangheili track-record has been crap for 18 years, they were apparently also operating at full capacity the entire time. Fantastic...
343 establishing that Elite Combat-Harnesses enhance the wearer's capabilities. If it weren't enough that the Sangheili track-record has been crap for 18 years, they were apparently also operating at full capacity the entire time. Fantastic...
I have heard of that for years, have to agree that is very annoying
The fact that H5's story is a thing that exists.
The fact that H5's story is a thing that exists.
Agreed; wasted potential is a phrase that comes to mind.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3