Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Lore question about plasma pistol emp ability.

OP SIW PRIME EVIL

Any reason why the plasma pistol can emp vehicles in halo 3 and newer titles but can't in CE or 2? Did the UNSC downgrade their vehicles for budgeting reasons or some other reason? Or did covenant technology improve? Or was it some other reason?
It was a gameplay mechanic Bungie introduced. I don't think there's much of a lore reason behind it. I like it though, because it serves to balance multiplayer and prevents vehicle-bound players from being too powerful, at least in my experience.
It was a gameplay mechanic Bungie introduced. I don't think there's much of a lore reason behind it. I like it though, because it serves to balance multiplayer and prevents vehicle-bound players from being too powerful, at least in my experience.
Yeah that's the Doylist interpretation definitely.

A possible reason for it you could argue in Halo CE would be:

The vehicles and weapons on the Pillar of Autumn were prepared for Operation: RED FLAG (hence the canonical reason for the CE Pistol and the extended mag AR and shotgun). So for the UNSC it's possible their vehicles were EMP shielded.

For the Covenant vehicles the only similar possible explanation would be that as part of the Fleet of Particular Justice they also had such uprated vehicles (perhaps the same could be true of Covenant vehicles encountered in Halo 2 from the Fleet of Sacred Consecration).

As to the human vehicles in Halo 2... perhaps In Amber Clad also had access to such emp-shielded vehicles
Ignoring game mechanics, it is possible that a plasma weapons can cause an emp. When the sun launches large clumps of plasma called coronal mass ejections which can easily wipe out satellites and cause blackouts here on earth. So a plasma weapons powerful enough can cause an emp on an object.
MorseyBaby wrote:

The vehicles and weapons on the Pillar of Autumn were prepared for Operation: RED FLAG (hence the canonical reason for the CE Pistol and the extended mag AR and shotgun). So for the UNSC it's possible their vehicles were EMP shielded.

For the Covenant vehicles the only similar possible explanation would be that as part of the Fleet of Particular Justice they also had such uprated vehicles (perhaps the same could be true of Covenant vehicles encountered in Halo 2 from the Fleet of Sacred Consecration).

As to the human vehicles in Halo 2... perhaps In Amber Clad also had access to such emp-shielded vehicles
Wow thanks for the vocab lesson! Had to look "Doylist" up, and will now be using it going forward :P

I think your lore explanation makes a lot of sense, particularly for CE. Hadn't even thought of the ammo capacities before, but that would be understandable, given the parameters of Red Flag.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Wow thanks for the vocab lesson! Had to look "Doylist" up, and will now be using it going forward :P

I think your lore explanation makes a lot of sense, particularly for CE. Hadn't even thought of the ammo capacities before, but that would be understandable, given the parameters of Red Flag.
You're very welcome. Find it very useful around here.

Others just call it being an excellent bull-yoink-er!
One could argue the ones from CE and halo 2 were older types while halo 3-present were new ones being crafted at the time. While We do see this in Reach, it has never been confirmed any of the ground forces we face are from Vadamee's personal fleet of Particular Justice.
It's purely due to gameplay mechanics. Remember that Halo CE and Halo 2 came out on the OG Xbox while Halo 3 came out on the Xbox 360.
All this lore speculation above is either inaccurate or simply nothing.
It's purely due to gameplay mechanics. Remember that Halo CE and Halo 2 came out on the OG Xbox while Halo 3 came out on the Xbox 360.
You're in a section of the forum dedicated to talking about lore. As Sci-Fi Fans (and this holds true for most franchises), a lot of us enjoy coming up with lore-based reasons for things, whether they're canon or not, we enjoy figuring this stuff out and filling in holes as best we can. This is how we digest and appreciate the content we're given. It's no different to how some people appreciate the games specifically by nitpicking and critiquing them, while others also appreciate the games by viewing them from a game-design standpoint.

Simply different people appreciating things in different ways.
You're in a section of the forum dedicated to talking about lore. As Sci-Fi Fans (and this holds true for most franchises), a lot of us enjoy coming up with lore-based reasons for things, whether they're canon or not, we enjoy figuring this stuff out and filling in holes as best we can. This is how we digest and appreciate the content we're given. It's no different to how some people appreciate the games specifically by nitpicking and critiquing them, while others also appreciate the games by viewing them from a game-design standpoint.

And while I respect that, you're giving a false answer to someone who doesn't know why x is x and not y.

And while I respect that, you're giving a false answer to someone who doesn't know why x is x and not y.
It’s not false until it’s confirmed or denied. Ultimately, it is up to this person to decide what they believe.

It’s not false until it’s confirmed or denied. Ultimately, it is up to this person to decide what they believe.
What? It's completely confirmed. They're the same vehicles and the same weapons as all later entries. Tech and ideas weren't simply available at the time, not to mention, again, that both CE and 2 were made for the original Xbox.
MorseyBaby wrote:

This is probably the best explanation for the UNSC side of things.

What? It's completely confirmed. They're the same vehicles and the same weapons as all later entries. Tech and ideas weren't simply available at the time, not to mention, again, that both CE and 2 were made for the original Xbox.
Technically not. Many of the vehicles and weapons are assigned different technical names to differentiate them. (The assault rifle's a good example: Halo: CE features the MA5B, Halo 3 features the MA5C, Reach is the MA37, 4 and 5 is the MA5D, etc, but I understand that particular example doesn't apply here.)

Further, the Halo universe (All Sci-Fi universes) are constantly a work-in-progress; the reason for changing one thing or another IS a technical/gameplay reason, but there's also an obligation to fill in the gaps lore-wise.

Technically not. Many of the vehicles and weapons are assigned different technical names to differentiate them. (The assault rifle's a good example: Halo: CE features the MA5B, Halo 3 features the MA5C, Reach is the MA37, 4 and 5 is the MA5D, etc, but I understand that particular example doesn't apply here.)

Further, the Halo universe (All Sci-Fi universes) are constantly a work-in-progress; the reason for changing one thing or another IS a technical/gameplay reason, but there's also an obligation to fill in the gaps lore-wise.
Not all needs explanation, and this is one of them. There's no explanation because, as I've said 2 times before, tech and ideas simply weren't available.
Like... how can you explain that Minor and Major Sangheili were the only allies fighting in our side despite Halo 2 clearly showing that Grunts, Hunters and even Counselor Sangheili were against the Covenant? Why is Rtas the only Elite wearing white armor? What happened to the Zealots?

Not all that's perceived in the games is accurate to the lore. Another good example: a Beam Rifle's near misses causes third-degree burns and are known to be extremely deadly. Yet, only in Legendary do we die in 1 shot AND there's no 3rd degree burns whatsoever.

Not all needs explanation, and this is one of them. There's no explanation because, as I've said 2 times before, tech and ideas simply weren't available.
Like... how can you explain that Minor and Major Sangheili were the only allies fighting in our side despite Halo 2 clearly showing that Grunts, Hunters and even Counselor Sangheili were against the Covenant? Why is Rtas the only Elite wearing white armor? What happened to the Zealots?

Not all that's perceived in the games is accurate to the lore. Another good example: a Beam Rifle's near misses causes third-degree burns and are known to be extremely deadly. Yet, only in Legendary do we die in 1 shot AND there's no 3rd degree burns whatsoever.
Several explanations are available. I'm assuming you're referring to Halo 3 or 5?, in comparison to Halo 2? I can answer your other section though:

That is a different matter entirely. The canon nature of functionality or visuals is different from finer details that don't appear in the games for the sake of being a game. Similar to how the Chief doesn't have to patch up every wound: because that's not fun gameplay. That's different from lore.

Several explanations are available. I'm assuming you're referring to Halo 3 or 5?, in comparison to Halo 2? I can answer your other section though:

That is a different matter entirely. The canon nature of functionality or visuals is different from finer details that don't appear in the games for the sake of being a game. Similar to how the Chief doesn't have to patch up every wound: because that's not fun gameplay. That's different from lore.
Then what's the canon explanation behind the EMP-immune vehicles in Halo 2? Actually, throw CE into the mix. Does it make sense that the Warthog and Scorpion are indestructible despite being exactly the same vehicles we saw in Halo Reach, in which we saw many of said vehicles being destroyed?
Actually, why are those 2 vehicles along with the Ghost, Banshee and Wraith EMP-immune in Halo CE if, again, they're exactly the same variants or models we saw in the Fall of Reach and prior battles?

It just shows, not everything depicted in the games is very accurate to the lore. Would it be fun if plasma absolutely shredded you like in the lore? Or if the Beam Rifle killed you as brutally and swift in all difficulties?

Actually, Chief not having to patch-up is wounds is due to bio-foam technology integrated into the armor. Granted, CE had health bars, but he was using the Mark V, and he only patched up his wounds when he found a health pack. Halo 2 onwards, new armor, new health system.
Going back to the marathon series the charged shot of the fusion pistol, which is the spiritual predecessor of the plasma pistol, was said to have an emp blast to explain its greater effectivity on armored and mechanical enemies. I think it could have been that it was a feature they wanted implement but did not prioritize.

Then what's the canon explanation behind the EMP-immune vehicles in Halo 2? Actually, throw CE into the mix. Does it make sense that the Warthog and Scorpion are indestructible despite being exactly the same vehicles we saw in Halo Reach, in which we saw many of said vehicles being destroyed?
Actually, why are those 2 vehicles along with the Ghost, Banshee and Wraith EMP-immune in Halo CE if, again, they're exactly the same variants or models we saw in the Fall of Reach and prior battles?

It just shows, not everything depicted in the games is very accurate to the lore. Would it be fun if plasma absolutely shredded you like in the lore? Or if the Beam Rifle killed you as brutally and swift in all difficulties?

Actually, Chief not having to patch-up is wounds is due to bio-foam technology integrated into the armor. Granted, CE had health bars, but he was using the Mark V, and he only patched up his wounds when he found a health pack. Halo 2 onwards, new armor, new health system.
Technically, while they are the same models, they could potentially be modified without looking particularly different. There are certain lines that lore-fans draw, and most will admit the indestructible nature of the vehicles is one such gameplay thing. There can be a reasonable explanation for the EMP, however.

Not everything is, but things that can be, should be - things that don't negatively impact the experience.

I never heard of biofoam being integrated into the armor. Interesting.
There's been lore to somewhat explain this for quite some time now. From the plasma pistol article on this site:
"The most common patterns of the Plasma Pistol are those grouped by humans into the Type-25 label – so called because they were first observed and assessed in 2525 during first contact at Harvest. Much to the consternation of UNSC intelligence officers tasked with categorizing new variants, within this broad type classification are innumerable different sub-classes. This is due to the Covenant’s loose (by human standards) interpretation of “standardization” and disdain of serial manufacturing techniques.
For example, the Hesduros-manufactured pistols used by Jul ‘Mdama’s forces on Requiem fired more powerful plasma bolts, with a comparable increase in energy use per shot. To complicate matters further, with the dissolution of centralized manufacturing control--a result of the Great Schism--new production Plasma Pistols have appeared in a bewildering variety of casing styles and adornments."
The key here is when it says "within this broad type classification are innumerable different sub-classes" you could argue that CE and 2 had models that for whatever reason didnt do the EMP while others did.