Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Mantle's Approach Size

OP Unseelie Sluagh

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I recently discovered how big Mantle's Approach actually was and I'm having problem believing it. According to the Halo 4 Visual Guide it is Length: 142.7 kilometers (88.7 mi), Width: 138.6 kilometers (86.1 mi), Height: 371.4 kilometers (230.8 mi).

It the guide in error? It sure didn't seem this massive at all in the game.
The guide is correct until otherwise contradicted.
Quote:
Understood. However, it's certainly not the first time the guides have been incorrect or contradictory.

In-game, there is no way the MA is nearly 100 miles in length and width and well over 200 miles in height. That just seems like it's way overstated.

If going by some Star Wars sources, that would make MA larger than the Death Star.

But I understand it's canon until stated otherwise. It just seems to me it might be a mis-calc especially if one goes by the in-game cutscenes.
Its probably because that size would make it impratical for most cutscenes. It'd just dominate the scene and make everything else (including infinity) look like ants.
The size is correct, taken from the Broadsword run.

It would be very difficult and impractical for its size to be represented accurately in cutscenes. You'd either be extremely looking at it from an unreasonable distance, or it would be filling the the screen and you wouldn't know what's going on.
That is one enormous ship then. And that's not even the Forerunner's best.
Exactly. No wonder the Forerunners got so much slipspace debt.

Lugging millions of these kinds of ships around.
Quote:
Quote:
Understood. However, it's certainly not the first time the guides have been incorrect or contradictory.

In-game, there is no way the MA is nearly 100 miles in length and width and well over 200 miles in height. That just seems like it's way overstated.

If going by some Star Wars sources, that would make MA larger than the Death Star.

But I understand it's canon until stated otherwise. It just seems to me it might be a mis-calc especially if one goes by the in-game cutscenes.
If you look at the size of the Cryptum ball thingy when you first meet the Didact, it can't be more than 50 meters across.

Then watch this cutscene, where you can see it enter the ship, the MA can only be around 2KM long, 3 if your pushing it.

But then in that very same scene, you see the MA exit Requiem and you can quite easily see the curvature of the planet, indicating that MA could be much larger than 500KM long.

Quote:
Quote:
It just seems to me it might be a mis-calc especially if one goes by the in-game cutscenes.
Actually, if I have heard right, that calc comes from the cut-scenes, specifically the scene where the ship emerges from the planet Requiem. Further corroborated with the Broadsword run.
Google is such a useful tool that is so underused.
Quote:
But then in that very same scene, you see the MA exit Requiem and you can quite easily see the curvature of the planet, indicating that MA could be much larger than 500KM long.

And the liches around it oddly don't look that small next to it, despite being like 35m in length at best.

I always found the music transition from game -> cinematic was terrible too.
Quote:
Quote:

And the liches around it oddly don't look that small next to it, despite being like 35m in length at best.

I always found the music transition from game -> cinematic was terrible too.
There was some weird things going on with cutscenes. The audio was terribly compressed which made it sound like crap.

Btw Liches are pretty big. Around 100 Meters long. Halo suffers from improper in-game scaling. Things are massive, but they don't feel like that. Partly because we're looking at things through the eyes of someone quite massive himself, partly because we're playing a game with no depth perception. If Halo had Oculus Rift support you could probably see just how large things would look in Haloverse.
Ah, my problem was I was reading the Lich's height.

100m is still really small verse 300+km of ship.
Quote:
If the guide says so, who needs google?
Quote:
Quote:
If the guide says so, who needs google?
I already knew about the stats in the book and on Halopedia and I know the guides are official. However, weren't some stats in Halo Encyclopedia inaccurate? I was just asking because it seemed a bit mind-blowing to me about the size.

Either way, thanks for the clarification. That's one big ship!
It is in fact correct, you can see it in the BS run and the cutscene as the MA exits Requiem~ Scaling in the games is just off and doesn't stay representative, unfortunately.
Quote:
Because you don't have anything sizable to scale it with... :/
Quote:
Quote:
Because you don't have anything sizable to scale it with... :/
Until you can scale it with Requiem itself. ;)

When that thing compares to the curve of a planet, it is enormous.
Ehh, Still not something to compare it with.

The Infinity or a SMAC would be better, If not a CAS.
-_-

Comparing it to a planet isn't enough?

Comparing it to Infinity or a CAS just makes it really, really big. Comparing it to a planet makes it gargantuan, which is what it is.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3