Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Master chief dead? Pre-halo 5 rumors...

OP guttel ree

What were the hunt for the truth commercials and videos even supposed to mean? It has nothing to do with halo 5... Are these halo 6 hints or just something that was scratched out from the story line??? Im very confused.
guttel ree wrote:
What were the hunt for the truth commercials and videos even supposed to mean? It has nothing to do with halo 5... Are these halo 6 hints or just something that was scratched out from the story line??? Im very confused.
They had everything to do with Halo 5.
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
Yeah, remember that part in the game where the Infinity was burning and Chief had a magnum pointed at him by Locke. And when Blue Team rushed into that meeting and shot up a bunch of terrorists? Or when John-117 was annouced as KIA to the galaxy? Oh, wait...
It was just another of tons of misleading advertisements we got.
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
Yup, how do you get "everything" out of that?
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
Really? Tell me where Hunt the Truth tied into Halo 5 because I genuinely missed the link.

Chief gone awol and Locke sent to retrieve him by any means neccesary?
K dudes Im gonna to have a fist fight with the widely accepted greatest supersoldier in our species history.
Which quickly became a 'Chiefs being misled and its our job to be 3 steps behind at all times during our rescue attempt.'

HTT and the advertising campaign of Rogue Chief vs Locke was great sadly imo it never even slightly became the story of Halo 5
John was declared dead following the events on Meridian. The decision was taken by ONI, and it makes sense. They couldn't simply admit that humanity's hero, a guy who almost single-handedly ended the Covenant threat, went rogue. Not only would that be very demoralizing, but it would also lead to mass panic. Better to claim he's dead.

"All Hail" and "The Cost" were supposed to be metaphorical, not literal interpretations of what was to happen. I agree that it was overkill given that the Chief and Locke do not stay enemies for long in the game, but I understand where the intention came from.

The shooting at the diplomatic meeting happened before the events of Halo 5. The whole Hunt the Truth campaign was a way to talk about events surrounding the plot of Halo 5. They couldn't talk about the plot, so they developped lore around it. On one hand, it can be misleading, on the other, it's a great way to create more lore without spoiling the game.

Remember that live-action trailers and marketing operations such as Hunt The Truth are usually in great part made by different people than those who write the game. Sometimes it's all 343's marketing team, sometimes there's other companies contracted for those jobs too. It does not justify the lack of coherence, but it explains it. The writers at 343 simply needs to take more time to check on what the marketing teams are doing.

I understand - and, to some extent, agree - that the marketing was somewhat misleading. Yes, 343 overplayed the John going rogue thing in their marketing campaign. Still, Hunt the Truth season was a smart way to introduce the global context of the game without spoiling it. Not everything about Halo 5's marketing was bad or totally unrelated to the game in my opinion.
Noah B225 wrote:
John was declared dead following the events on Meridian. The decision was taken by ONI, and it makes sense. They couldn't simply admit that humanity's hero, a guy who almost single-handedly ended the Covenant threat, went rogue. Not only would that be very demoralizing, but it would also lead to mass panic. Better to claim he's dead.

"All Hail" and "The Cost" were supposed to be metaphorical, not literal interpretations of what was to happen. I agree that it was overkill given that the Chief and Locke do not stay enemies for long in the game, but I understand where the intention came from.

The shooting at the diplomatic meeting happened before the events of Halo 5. The whole Hunt the Truth campaign was a way to talk about events surrounding the plot of Halo 5. They couldn't talk about the plot, so they developped lore around it. On one hand, it can be misleading, on the other, it's a great way to create more lore without spoiling the game.

Remember that live-action trailers and marketing operations such as Hunt The Truth are usually in great part made by different people than those who write the game. Sometimes it's all 343's marketing team, sometimes there's other companies contracted for those jobs too. It does not justify the lack of coherence, but it explains it. The writers at 343 simply needs to take more time to check on what the marketing teams are doing.

I understand - and, to some extent, agree - that the marketing was somewhat misleading. Yes, 343 overplayed the John going rogue thing in their marketing campaign. Still, Hunt the Truth season was a smart way to introduce the global context of the game without spoiling it. Not everything about Halo 5's marketing was bad or totally unrelated to the game in my opinion.
343... why. And to some extent????? Ok........
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
Yeah, remember that part in the game where the Infinity was burning and Chief had a magnum pointed at him by Locke. And when Blue Team rushed into that meeting and shot up a bunch of terrorists? Or when John-117 was annouced as KIA to the galaxy? Oh, wait...
1. Not a literal trailer as anyone could see since there were two versions. 2. That actually happened. 3. He was announced KIA to the galaxy so that Locke could go after Chief.
guttel ree wrote:
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
How did you not?
I NOOOB I wrote:
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
Really? Tell me where Hunt the Truth tied into Halo 5 because I genuinely missed the link.

K dudes Im gonna to have a fist fight with the widely accepted greatest supersoldier in our species history.
Which quickly became a 'Chiefs being misled and its our job to be 3 steps behind at all times during our rescue attempt.'

HTT and the advertising campaign of Rogue Chief vs Locke was great sadly imo it never even slightly became the story of Halo 5
HTT was the civilian side of the story and so it is fully canon. Chief was declared dead after Meridian so Locke could go after him. Do some actual research please.
AlertFiend wrote:
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
1. Not a literal trailer as anyone could see since there were two versions. 2. That actually happened. 3. He was announced KIA to the galaxy so that Locke could go after Chief.
guttel ree wrote:
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:
How did you not?
I NOOOB I wrote:
AlertFiend wrote:
guttel ree wrote:

HTT was the civilian side of the story and so it is fully canon. Chief was declared dead after Meridian so Locke could go after him. Do some actual research please.
I disagree
Im unfollowing anyways though, the others already answered me
Simple. They were meant for an earlier version of Halo 5's script, or just to build hype(it's not as though Halo hasn't had non-canon ads before).
The ads were shining light on the perspectives of the Human population , I believe. You have one group who sees all the damage done to human colonies while Chief is fighting and blame Chief (Lockes ad) , another group sees the damage but they see it as collateral damage by some one trying to save everything (Chiefs ad). The ads were trying to show interpretations of feelings held by the average person, not literal interpretations of events.
Do we trust the guy who has saved us countless times , (granted , at a high cost) ; or do we trust the Government guy who says that guy has been rogue all along?
Another reason the trailers and marketing didn't match up is that 343I had to cut over 40% of their content because of time restraints. Just like Bungie with Halo 2, 343I bit off far more then they chewed. The planet where all the Urban MP maps take place was supposed to be in game as well, but the whole planet was cut.

But the Marketing was already done and it was to late to adapt it for the change in the actual script.
HuntTheTruth, while brilliant and and probably one of the most entertaining free things for a long time, did seem misleading. It failed to bring up the significance precursor attacks on human planets (although it was a plot point in a couple of episodes), and irrelevantly brought highlight the insurrection and ONI. It showed us a lot of what we already knew (the controversy behind the Spartan Project) and left us with very little on Halo 5. The game even implied the Guardians were all up by the time Halo 5 happened.

Despite this, I would pay money for Season 3 or even better, have a TV show done in a similar style. Hunt The Truth has got to be one of my favourite pieces of extended lore from anything. It was twisty and full of entertaining and realistic characters. I was devastated about the news report when Benjamin got faked.
I think the ads were meant to be misleading so you could ya know Hunt The Truth lol.
I think the ads were meant to be misleading so you could ya know Hunt The Truth lol.
Yeah, let's not use misleading ads that people rely on to make a choice to purchase a product being charged from upwards to $60. That's not ethical.
Hunt the Truth is the brief vision of the Halo game we deserved. The helmet overfloweth.