Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Master Chief's successor

OP Specter Lives

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Now before I begin I want to state the purpose of this thread. Obviously the Master Chief isn't going to live forever, as the main protagonist of Halo he will eventually need to take a back seat and sadly be replaced as the main protagonist. I think the Halo universe can grow and expand if done correctly and more to the point it is possible to introduce a new main character to the GAME portion of the Halo Universe. To that point - think of other main characters that were introduced who the community at large seem to embrace - The Rookie from ODST, Noble Six, even to some part Red team from Halo Wars. However, it can be done poorly - this is strictly my opinion but - Locke from Halo 5. Now Locke isn't a bad character but he really did feel forced in Halo 5 (Same with the rest of Osiris - Minus Buck - Buck is great no matter what is going on).

Now to the main point of the thread. How should the next main line character be introduced into the Halo franchise. For me, this is what I'd like to see. Think of JD from Gears of War 4. I'm not a huge Gear fan but do like to play the games. JD was introduce as a new main lead and it didn't feel forced and that was due in part of how his story was presented - Son of the great Marcus Fenix, yet he was estranged from him. The story revolved around a new threat but it was also a story of JD and his Father reconnecting giving service to the series original protagonist while introducing new main characters that worked and was a meaningful story that was relateable.

Onto Halo's future potential hero. For me I'd like it to be something like Halo Reach - introduce a character you to some degree create and play throughout the whole game. They would be a semi-new Spartan 4 and assigned to a unit that crosses path with the Chief - something to the effect of them getting ambushed and Chief arrives to saves them but only in time to save your spartan. The game plays out with our spartan assisting the Chief on his mission - think BT and John Cooper from Titanfall 2. How this would end... I'm kind of torn. As much as I wouldn't want to see the Chief die but so long as it was done in a VERY meaningful manner I think that might be the best ending for him - maybe sacrificing himself to take down Cortana saving the whole universe - Again, Titanfall 2's ending. This is my opinion... personally, I don't think him being promoted to some high ranking position or retiring is the best way to honor the character's legacy. However, I am struggling how to reconcile this with Halo 3's ending because - in a way - this has already happened and it would be weird if it happened again but minus the Legendary PSYC! HE STILL ALIVE ending.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but let me know what you think and how would you like to see the Chief's story end and new main protagonist be introduced?
Who do I want: Jerome, or Thorne.

Who looks most likely at this point: Locke.

I would be saddened but unsurprised if Locke rose to the role of main character. That’s really all I have to say, not much else needs to be said.

I think Jerome and Isabel, should be the new Spartan/AI combo. But if and only if, 343 wants to do another Spartan/AI combo. If not, and they wish to do a team, I’d go for Fireteam Majestic, focused on Thorne.
Jerome-092.

It is a rather common opinion especially after Halo Wars 2, and while I have nothing against Spartan Locke. Jerome is the next best mold to place ourselves over as after Halo 4, we know what John-117 looks like and Jerome is still a mystery. Say what you will about that, but a mystery is more appealing as our imagination can be one hell of a thing.

It is sad to think about though.

John-117 can be called the face of Halo, but the voice actor isn't getting any younger and I honestly don't know how I'd feel about a change in voice actors. Also in universe John is somewhere in his 40s or 50s when you ignore the time spent in Cryo Sleep. He won't get any younger amd as said in the comic (Halo Escalation I believe) John will continue to fight until he breaks (I believe ONI agents said that).

One mistake can be fatal.

Now that doesn't mean Jerome is immune either as he has been out of the fight for 20+ years but he is simply a favorite of mine and if he was made the main character. I wouldn't complain, but that is just my opinion. In the event Jerome was to skipped over then I would a entirely new Spartan over Thorne or Locke personally; someone like Noble Six or CE Master Chief.

Basically a faceless template.
l Chaos I wrote:
Jerome-092.

It is a rather common opinion especially after Halo Wars 2, and while I have nothing against Spartan Locke. Jerome is the next best mold to place ourselves over as after Halo 4, we know what John-117 looks like and Jerome is still a mystery. Say what you will about that, but a mystery is more appealing as our imagination can be one hell of a thing.

It is sad to think about though.

John-117 can be called the face of Halo, but the voice actor isn't getting any younger and I honestly don't know how I'd feel about a change in voice actors. Also in universe John is somewhere in his 40s or 50s when you ignore the time spent in Cryo Sleep. He won't get any younger amd as said in the comic (Halo Escalation I believe) John will continue to fight until he breaks (I believe ONI agents said that).

One mistake can be fatal.

Now that doesn't mean Jerome is immune either as he has been out of the fight for 20+ years but he is simply a favorite of mine and if he was made the main character. I wouldn't complain, but that is just my opinion. In the event Jerome was to skipped over then I would a entirely new Spartan over Thorne or Locke personally; someone like Noble Six or CE Master Chief.

Basically a faceless template.
A 'Faceless template' I think is what helped vault MC to his status of iconic hero. Someone we can inject ourselves into. As for Locke and Thorne... I really hope they keep them in the extended fiction or on the periphery, their not bad characters but they are not 'Faceless templates' - we've seen them, seen to some degree what motivates them. For me, I really want another Noble 6-esk character. Someone we have more input control into - Appearance, Gender, Armor color, etc. This would limit their role in extended media but that isn't a bad thing. Keep those stories contained but connected to the larger narrative. Plus, I really liked how Halo Reach handled the campaign as far as putting YOUR spartan in the actual campaign. Plus, it didn't feel forced, you get just enough back story to give your character weight and purpose in the world and stand side by side with Noble Team and not feel out of place.

I see Jerome come up a lot in discussions like this. He is cool and I think he would make for an interesting main character. However, I'd see him more of someone we run into down the road in another game, it would be cool to run into him and red team and team up with them for a mission or two if we ever end up back on the Ark.
I think the only way the fans would be ok with Chief dropping off the picture is if the voice actor Steve Downes comes forward and says he just can't do it anymore. We know he retired from his radio station job some time back, but he has continued to do the iconic voice of our favorite Spartan, to this I am grateful. But, yes, he isn't getting any younger and there will probably come a day where the script planned has to change because he's just not well enough to do it because of complications coming with age. Wishing Steve good health in the years coming and the decades he may have left, but if he were to ever fall sick, we would have to accept the Chief's inevitable demise if they don't straight up just cancel the game series altogether in honor of him. It's more likely they'll just give us a ceremonial cutscene or external game bit dedicated to the Master Chief passing if that's the case and a new face (so to speak) would take the mantle. The passing of the torch if you will.
I think they're driving away from "main character" as a singular, and I think that's a good thing.
I think they're driving away from "main character" as a singular, and I think that's a good thing.
While I agree with you that it might be a good thing for the purposes of continuing the story beyond the Chief... in what way are they actually doing that? The engine demo from last year's E3 built up to the moment his helmet was revealed. It seems like Chief is still very much the focus of the franchise. If he wasn't before, then he is even more so, considering all the negative reviews H5 received when it tried to introduce us to Locke. Btw, not trying to sound intense, just genuinely curious what your point of view on that is.

As far as OP's question, I'd like to see Jerome become the successor, assuming a successor is needed to keep the franchise fresh and interesting. Though it would be very challenging for 343 to do that since the HW games are kind of a separate entity to the mainline games. The only things that tie the two together are extended lore. And since H5 received a lot of criticism for dumping a bunch of extended lore into the game, 343 might be hesitant to do something like that again.
My opinion is there should be no successor. Master Chief's shoes are just too big to fill, so they shouldn't try.
Let other games have their own heroes, and let those heroes have their own multi-game story arcs, but no one should be elevated to the status of Master Chief's successor, because they won't measure up, but they can rise to stand alongside the Legend.
with something so epic as Halo and the main good guy always being Master Chief for the most part, it will be hard for me to choose a new successor as you put it. In the long run, i think i'll go along with whoever they throw at us as long as they give us more heroes die games. That happens enough in real life and we don't need to reminded of it when we're using a video game to escape the clutches of reality. Would I like to see the Chief last forever, you bet but we all know that won't happen. I just hope when they do finally retire Chief that it is an honorable ending to a great character and No I don't want to have them kill him off. A happy retirement ending or something along those lines. Sadly though, I think we all know that the Chief isn't the settling down type or at least not yet.
Whoever his successor might be, I just hope that it's not like Mass Effect main character. What I mean is: Choose one sex and stick with it for better or worse. I'd be happy if they chose a Palmer or a Buck but just stick with it like they did with the Chief.
While I agree with you that it might be a good thing for the purposes of continuing the story beyond the Chief... in what way are they actually doing that?
The fact that we've got a slew of more major characters critical to the Halo games since Halo 4 indicates this. With the Bungie trilogy, even characters like Keyes (both) and Johnson were really only second-seat to the Chief. Even the Arbiter wasn't a full replacement, despite playing as him in Halo 2. With Halo 4 onward, we have major characters like Palmer and Lasky, and even Osiris Team, who have not only play large roles in the storyline beyond "the Captain", but have also risen to importance to the game universe as much as the Chief.
While I agree with you that it might be a good thing for the purposes of continuing the story beyond the Chief... in what way are they actually doing that?
The fact that we've got a slew of more major characters critical to the Halo games since Halo 4 indicates this. With the Bungie trilogy, even characters like Keyes (both) and Johnson were really only second-seat to the Chief. Even the Arbiter wasn't a full replacement, despite playing as him in Halo 2. With Halo 4 onward, we have major characters like Palmer and Lasky, and even Osiris Team, who have not only play large roles in the storyline beyond "the Captain", but have also risen to importance to the game universe as much as the Chief.
I see what you mean. They have introduced a lot of new characters who are given a lot more spotlight than previous supporting characters. The thing is, some in the community have pointed out that there are too many main characters in H5. There just wasn't enough time to develop all of them and make them all interesting or compelling. Certainly not enough time to endear them to fans and make them faces of the franchise. So perhaps 343 was trying to go the route you are suggesting at first, but it seems that Infinite might be a return to the Chief being the sole main character with everyone else just being supporting characters again. This is all conjecture until we get more info of course, but with the engine demo (and yes it is just a demo and not to be taken as canon until we are told otherwise) it looks like Chief will still be the sole face of the franchise for the time being.
I believe that they should have a mix of singular character centric games as well as team centric games, maybe even duo centric games (which would be the case for a Headhunter game that I’ve wanted since learning about them). As for who to replace the Chief? I don’t know if you can and I don’t want them to try it. I mean they can have faceless characters all they want, which is what Chief is known for, but I don’t know if they can replace him. The way I think Chief’s story should end is similar to Halo 3 except he is hidden a way this time, to never be found after he finished the fight for the final time.
Jerome can be a good way and his ai can be Isabel
I don't get why people like Isabel so much. She's whiny, insecure and unreliable. But then again, she was created for Halo Wars 2, a game that I find exceedingly disappointing with weak writing and largely just serving as a DLC/MTX platform that had an anemic tutorial campaign wrapped around it.

If we have to have another Spartan/AI combo, then the AI needs to be more like Serina in personality. I don't want a whiny negative AI that has computer PTSD or some annoyingly chipper, quippy and 'cute' like Exuberant Witness (or Failsafe from Destiny 2) I don't want Locke, Buck, Jerome or any of the other named characters, give us another relative blank slate, a combination of Noble 6 and early Chief.
^

I don't get why people like Cortana so much.

See what I did there, Cortana as a character was finished by the end of Halo 4. Her lifespan as an artificial intelligence designed and built by humanity had long expired and the whole subplot of getting Cortana to Halsey in hopes of saving her was weak at best. By the end of Halo 4, it was a good end to the character as what little of her remained left after the Master Chief detonated a nuke no less then right in his face, was able to save him and afterwards she should have stayed gone. No fragments, no evil cortana, nothing but in the end what did 343i do?

Halo 5 Guardians motto "Hunt the Truth".

In reality say hello to Cortana 2. In no way am I hating on Cortana as a character though as she's been one of the main characters since Halo CE since 2001. Comparing her to Isabel whose only had one game while Cortana had years to be fleshed out isn't exactly fair now is it? Besides going back to watch Halo CE, Cortana isn't as perfect as everyone remembers as we the player are told to protect her because reasons. In the end we do that throughout the story and in parallel Jerome does that for Isabel multiple times.

Halo CE's story isn't much better either.

Taking off those nostalgia googles, Halo CE asks us to suspend our suspension of disbelief a lot. After everything introduced in the expanded universe, it is rather ludicrous the Forerunners who were the mot advanced civilization at the time. Would have systems that a Tier 3 human AI could interface with and dont give me that geas crap as that was and still is a stupid addition to the story. Everything was planned for humans to ascend even though we were almost wiped out by the Covenant, thanks Librarian for the geas which really didnt effect anything.

That is just my opinion though.

Isabel as a character deserves a chance as she is a type of AI we haven't seen before. Ignoring Cortana and Roland, Serina wasn't a character I was a fan of initially either as she made smart remarks all the time. 343i fortunately rectified that with the comic right before she terminated herself, she did what she could with the time she had left managing to save the crew from the Flood by waking Jerome and Anders before her termination and that intro cinematic of Serina saying farewell to Cutter was truly a touching moment as she was truly gone now.

Can Isabel replace her though? Of course not Isabel certainly deserves a chance to be more fleshed out though.
The devs could make a game out of one of the novels, like Ghosts of Onyx. This would give us more time to play as Kurt, and we would get some Spartan-III content. Just an idea.
Geoffyz wrote:
The devs could make a game out of one of the novels, like Ghosts of Onyx. This would give us more time to play as Kurt, and we would get some Spartan-III content. Just an idea.
True but Kurt would only last one game.
Geoffyz wrote:
True but Kurt would only last one game.
But we could continue with the Spartan-IIIs. We have either Alpha, Beta or Gamma to work with, or all of them. It’s a possibility, but not a likely one. I wouldn’t mind having a game story based around Omega Team, Headhunters or just a faceless template. All of those options are the more likely ones, but those are educated guesses judging from demand.
I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times more. I absolutely want 343 to fullfill their plan and have Locke replace him. Locke is a fantastic character when he's not bogged-down by Brian Reed's writing.
I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times more. I absolutely want 343 to fullfill their plan and have Locke replace him. Locke is a fantastic character when he's not bogged-down by Brian Reed's writing.
Sadly, I think that ship has sailed... largely due to how they handled the character in Halo 5. I think in the long run it would be best if it was a new character. I do agree, however, that Locke would have been a good character if handled correctly.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2